News Forum - Thailand’s Maya Bay set to reopen in January

Thaiger

Maya Bay. Remember that breathtakingly pretty beach on Koh Phi Phi Leh off Krabi? Now, the beach that featured in “The Beach” is now poised to reopen. The iconic natural cove of limestone karsts, turquoise waters and THAT beach was one of Thailand’s most popular attractions for a decade with up to 6,000 visitors everyday. But in the end even the local marine national park officials realised that tourists were killing Maya Bay with love. So they closed it. “The Beach” was a 2000 film starring Leonardo DiCaprio (and a great book) is now scheduled to reopen to tourists on […]

The story Thailand’s Maya Bay set to reopen in January as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

15 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

“The Beach” was a 2000 film starring Leonardo DiCaprio (and a great book)

I read the book, it was good. Never bothered with the film as I felt it would ruin the original story.

• Like 1

Great opportunity for a brown enveloppe again its so sad the idea is great but for sure they f…ck it up again the worst thing   For a thai is my neighbor make some money and i not it will be overcrowded in no time ,

I hope when I return to some of islands off PHuket, the break from tourists allowed the corals to regrow. Part of the problem was boat captains taking bread or encouraging tourists to take bread to feed the fish while they were snorkelling. Fish can't properly digest bread and it kills them. They stop feeding off the coral and that leads to the coral dying. So if you're on one of these boats just snorkel with the fish and don't feed them bread. Anchors also play havoc with corals.

• Thanks 1

Wow, I only see mountains and cliffs and one tiny tiny strip of "beach" . Where do the boats dock?  Where are the food and drink vendors?  Where is the field of ganja?  All necessary for me to go there LOL

maya bay.jpg

• Haha 1