Travel to Cambodia and Laos

loveslaughter

With Cambodia ending quarantine, I'm thinking of traveling there.  I'm currently in the US and would plan on flying into Bangkok and spending time in Thailand first.  Is it possible to travel from Thailand to Cambodia as a US citizen?  Can I do so by bus or train?  Would I need to visit a Cambodian embassy or consulate in the US or Thailand first?  I don't think Laos has opened up yet.  Anyone know when that will occur?  Lastly, on an unrelated note, I'd appreciate it if another user can point me to health insurance that satisfies the $50K requirement.  Perhaps AXA?  A URL would be great.  Thank you!

John 

4 hours ago, loveslaughter said:

With Cambodia ending quarantine, I'm thinking of traveling there.  I'm currently in the US and would plan on flying into Bangkok and spending time in Thailand first.  Is it possible to travel from Thailand to Cambodia as a US citizen?  Can I do so by bus or train?  Would I need to visit a Cambodian embassy or consulate in the US or Thailand first?  I don't think Laos has opened up yet.  Anyone know when that will occur?  Lastly, on an unrelated note, I'd appreciate it if another user can point me to health insurance that satisfies the $50K requirement.  Perhaps AXA?  A URL would be great.  Thank you!

John 

I am not sure whether the border is actually open, but citizenship has no bearing on the subject. Americans have been prolific when I've been there. Best advice I can give you. Get an e-visa rather than paying at the border. It is not unknown for the Cam Immigration to take cash, and then deny you had already paid. E-visas sort that problem out.

And that reminds, before the introduction of the E-visas, the Cam gov denied there were any problems with Immigration officers extorting money. They claimed that the money that they were getting, was tips from travellers grateful for the efficient service they received. I tried to think this through and wondered how many countries there were where I might offer a tip to immigration, and not get arrested for attempted bribery? 

• Cool 1

• 2 weeks later...

One other item of concern is that I may be allowed into Cambodia, but how will it be when I try to go back into Thailand on my motorbike?  Will my previous entry at Suvarnabhumi ensure my reentry on the road?