News Forum - Bars are closed in Bangkok… but not on Khao San Road

Thaiger

The Thai government says bars are closed, and will be until mid-January, but if you look hard enough you’ll find many are open… and packed. Over the weekend, the entrance to Bangkok’s notorious Khao San Road was blocked with a Covid-19 checkpoint. To get on the street to party, people needed to show proof of vaccination or test negative for Covid-19. An ambulance was parked at the entrance and medical staff in personal protective gear quickly administered rapid antigen tests, sticking swabs up partygoers’ noses before allowing them onto the street. Dozens of people were lined up. (Some people also […]

The story Bars are closed in Bangkok… but not on Khao San Road as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

20 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

sticking swabs up partygoers’ noses

Could be worse, at least it's not up the jacksie .. bound to have reveller's flocking in will this .. 

• Haha 6

Some bars on Khao San Road have hand sanitiser and temperature checkpoints, but that doesn’t mean they’re being used. And people clearly aren’t social distancing or wearing masks, so when it comes to these “Covid-19 control measures,” it’s unclear what exactly that means.

It means ignorant HISO can party again and thumb their noses at everyone.  Obviously they now believe they are immune as they are vaxed.  Sadly a common belief amongst Thais.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, palooka said:

Some bars on Khao San Road have hand sanitiser and temperature checkpoints, but that doesn’t mean they’re being used. And people clearly aren’t social distancing or wearing masks, so when it comes to these “Covid-19 control measures,” it’s unclear what exactly that means.

It means ignorant HISO can party again and thumb their noses at everyone.  Obviously they now believe they are immune as they are vaxed.  Sadly a common belief amongst Thais.

What was the point of getting vaxed then? I bet you were one of them screaming at anyone whom were saying many months ago that herd immunity was not going to happen although ALL mainstream media as they were listening to the many TV-scientists (coincidentally all of them full of conflict of interests) saying so... Remember when all commentators here that had only these 2 words to write about as if they were all experts? Herd immunity my a***...

And also again a little "anti-thai" (to be polite) comment... Only in Thailand people think that "Obviously they now believe they are immune as they are vaxed"?? I do not think so.

Enough is enough. 70% of BKK is vaccinated apparently so all vulnerables should be so how long do people need to not live their lives. For the ones whom are so scare of it, although double,trebble...vaccinated, then simply stay home until the rest of your lives and let the others..well simply live their lives.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Manu said:

What was the point of getting vaxed then? I bet you were one of them screaming at anyone whom were saying many months ago that herd immunity was not going to happen although ALL mainstream media as they were listening to the many TV-scientists (coincidentally all of them full of conflict of interests) saying so... Remember when all commentators here that had only these 2 words to write about as if they were all experts? Herd immunity my a***...

Have never mentioned Herd immunity ever on this forum or elsewhere so you might want to check your facts.

And also again a little "anti-thai" (to be polite) comment... Only in Thailand people think that "Obviously they now believe they are immune as they are vaxed"?? I do not think so.

You wouldn't, I associate with many Thais daily, teachers, police, cleaners shop keepers and labourers and sadly, very sadly they believe that when they are vaxxed they will not get Covid.

70% of BKK is vaccinated 

What about the other 30%??? Don't care about those I suppose.

Your not one of those "I'm alright - bugger the rest" are you?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Khao San Rd: Foreigners must take 100 baht swab tests if vax is old - ambulance on standby to take them away if positive

But the good news is that so far 500 swab tests have been done on Thais and foreign visitors and not a single one has come back posiitive. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vlad said:

Tried to put a link up on here about a report on HI-SOS in Chang Mai caught drinking in a bar with the girls too on Asean News.

Apparently it was a front for prostitution, well I never!😁

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Jumping the gun? I suppose it wasn't an all in, no holds barred. Checkpoints, rapid testing....oh what a night!!!! Yeh nah....

that's OK if you don't go maaate, I don't think they want bogans down there anyway 🤣

57 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Khao San Rd: Foreigners must take 100 baht swab tests if vax is old - ambulance on standby to take them away if positive

But the good news is that so far 500 swab tests have been done on Thais and foreign visitors and not a single one has come back posiitive. 

Did you happen to notice if the packaging for the swab tests were in a "Q-tips" box (hahaha)?

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, notpoor said:

that's OK if you don't go maaate, I don't think they want bogans down there anyway 🤣

Just learned a new word. Had to look it up. Turns out it's part of the great Aussie slang dictionary. At first sight, I thought it might be Irish (It rhymes with Hogan/Grogan) as they have contributed such words as "Lynch and Hooligan" to the English language, and there was I going to look up this family named "Bogan" (hahaha).

BTW, welcome to Thaiger.

• Like 1

"Before the pandemic, Khao San Road was known as a backpacker’s mecca. The nightlife scene was packed with party hostels and grungy bars with strong drinks and balloons filled with laughing gas."

So they are not going to close it? If only high quality ultra super rich people are expected, they better close the whole street. They don't need other money, just only rich people's money. 

images (15).jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Manu said:

Enough is enough. 70% of BKK is vaccinated apparently so all vulnerables should be so how long do people need to not live their lives. For the ones whom are so scare of it, although double,trebble...vaccinated, then simply stay home until the rest of your lives and let the others..well simply live their lives.

Couldn't say it better. But as soon as I will talk about this again, Team Stay Home and Team Hide Under Your Bed will come after me within the next minute. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, palooka said:

Have never mentioned Herd immunity ever on this forum or elsewhere so you might want to check your facts.

You wouldn't, I associate with many Thais daily, teachers, police, cleaners shop keepers and labourers and sadly, very sadly they believe that when they are vaxxed they will not get Covid.

70% of BKK is vaccinated 

What about the other 30%??? Don't care about those I suppose.

Your not one of those "I'm alright - bugger the rest" are you?

Where's the line you draw? 80% to 20%. What if 90% is vaccinated and 10% not. Should seriously everyone wait for them? 

Btw, maybe I'm not following the news enough anymore, but is there still Covid? I though we moved on to climate change already. 😂

33 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

Where's the line you draw? 80% to 20%. What if 90% is vaccinated and 10% not. Should seriously everyone wait for them? 

Btw, maybe I'm not following the news enough anymore, but is there still Covid? I though we moved on to climate change already. 😂

The quote was for 80% in Bangkok only.  With everything reopening do you still believe that figure or maybe the buses bringing everyone back to the city from rural areas are from 80% vaxed regions.  Get real. A little bit of common sense and caution with a deadly disease would probably save a few lives, but that is not in your interest I suppose you are here to party on.  Think you will be one of the first in the que for a booster and screaming blue murder if they will not give it to you.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

Hopefully you will not regret those comments, it is resurging in Europe and with that there are bound to be new variants and if you get Covid I'm sure you will not run to hospital but "party on".

Good luck.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

Couldn't say it better. But as soon as I will talk about this again, Team Stay Home and Team Hide Under Your Bed will come after me within the next minute. 

I might possibly come after you, but not because I am a member of either of those teams. My reason would be that I have not criticised the lock-down in my own country, which has been regarded as the most stringent in Europe, so I will not criticise others for that reason. 

I will not be wise after the event and tell them that they let too many people die because they should have done this or not done that. We can't know with any certainty how many lives lockdowns have saved, but I am grateful for everyone, including possibly my own, and my nearest and dearest.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

"Before the pandemic, Khao San Road was known as a backpacker’s mecca. The nightlife scene was packed with party hostels and grungy bars with strong drinks and balloons filled with laughing gas."

So they are not going to close it? If only high quality ultra super rich people are expected, they better close the whole street. They don't need other money, just only rich people's money. 

images (15).jpeg

You mean zero tourists in Thailand then because the rich have much better places to go than Thailand.

3 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

Did you happen to notice if the packaging for the swab tests were in a "Q-tips" box (hahaha)?

You mean second hand like the medical glives from Thailand? 😅🤣😂

• Haha 2