News Forum - A guide to renting a motorbike in Thailand

Thaiger

With travel agencies and motorbike rental shops frequenting almost every road, Thailand certainly makes it easy to find a motorbike to rent or even buy. But, renting comes with rules to follow and certain things to keep in mind. From safety to the law, knowing the risks of riding, is always recommended. Here, we have a guide to help you when renting a motorbike in the Kingdom. 1. Inspection Before you rent a motorbike, it is very important to inspect the actual motorbike before driving off. Like many other countries, Thailand isn’t immune to featuring all kinds of scams that […]

The story A guide to renting a motorbike in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

1. Inspection Before you rent a motorbike, it is very important to inspect the actual motorbike before driving off.

es'pesh tyres that resemble slicks .. and don't forget your amulets .. 

• Haha 3

Number one -should be check your health insurance.

Number two -get a mental health assessment from a qualified practitioner to check for suicidal tendencies.

Number Three - drop into a temple for merit, you never know it may help.

Number 4 - Good Luck

• Haha 6

The most important requirement and the one the corrupt police target foreigners for is not having the proper MOTORCYCLE license. Having only an auto license from your home country is not good enough. You must have an International Driving Permit endorcement stating "Motorcycle". The rental shops do not check this as they just want to rent bikes.

I've been stopped many times in the 10+ years coming to Thailand on my bike from Malaysia and renting bikes here when I come on my boat or by plane. Even though I have all the necessary paperwork the police still ask for money, usually coming down from 1000 baht to 200 baht. I keep 200 baht in my shirt pocket and take it out asking nicely for a receipt. When they say no receipt I take out my phone and say "OK I take picture for receipt". Most smile and say go on, a few get angry. I've never had to pay a fine.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Svcoquette said:

The most important requirement and the one the corrupt police target foreigners for is not having the proper MOTORCYCLE license. Having only an auto license from your home country is not good enough. You must have an International Driving Permit endorcement stating "Motorcycle". The rental shops do not check this as they just want to rent bikes.

I've been stopped many times in the 10+ years coming to Thailand on my bike from Malaysia and renting bikes here when I come on my boat or by plane. Even though I have all the necessary paperwork the police still ask for money, usually coming down from 1000 baht to 200 baht. I keep 200 baht in my shirt pocket and take it out asking nicely for a receipt. When they say no receipt I take out my phone and say "OK I take picture for receipt". Most smile and say go on, a few get angry. I've never had to pay a fine.

You are correct about the need for an international driving permit. Many people forget this and think their national license will suffice. 

In regard to having a motorbike licence. I don’t have a U.K. motorbike license, however, the back of the license shows the category of vehicles you are permitted to use. The U.K. one is so complicated that the majority of U.K. citizens don’t understand it, and the Thai police certainly don’t. A friend of mine has an international permit dated 2015, which he has used successfully on many occasions after being stopped. Basically, as long as it looks official, most local police will accept it. 

When I got my Thai license many years ago, I applied for a car license and the woman at the test centre asked if I had a U.K. bike license to which I said yes. She issued me with a car and separate bike license without any further questions 😂

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Soidog said:

he U.K. one is so complicated that the majority of U.K. citizens don’t understand it, and the Thai police certainly don’t. A friend of mine has an international permit dated 2015, which he has used successfully on many occasions after being stopped. Basically, as long as it looks official, most local police will accept it. 

insurance companies and health insurers  will not accept it.  You play a dangerous game if you are not properly licenced.  That's  why I have no sympathy for crowd funding, when some unlicensed idiot ends up in hospital with a massive bill that they can't pay, pure stupidity. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

insurance companies and health insurers  will not accept it.  You play a dangerous game if you are not properly licenced.  That's  why I have no sympathy for crowd funding, when some unlicensed idiot ends up in hospital with a massive bill that they can't pay, pure stupidity. 

??? Well I don’t play that game. I have a full Thai licence. 

As for the many expats living in Thailand, they will either have a Thai license and many won’t have any insurance either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, palooka said:

Number one -should be check your health insurance.

Number two -get a mental health assessment from a qualified practitioner to check for suicidal tendencies.

Number Three - drop into a temple for merit, you never know it may help.

Number 4 - Good Luck

Love it! What a crack up!

There really Is good advice in this article. Please take note. Having ridden motorbikes many times in Thailand, if you obey the speed limit, follow the road rules and wear a helmet, you'll be ok. If not....make bloody sure you included mopeds in your travel insurance!!!!!

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

You are correct about the need for an international driving permit. Many people forget this and think their national license will suffice. 

In regard to having a motorbike licence. I don’t have a U.K. motorbike license, however, the back of the license shows the category of vehicles you are permitted to use. The U.K. one is so complicated that the majority of U.K. citizens don’t understand it, and the Thai police certainly don’t. A friend of mine has an international permit dated 2015, which he has used successfully on many occasions after being stopped. Basically, as long as it looks official, most local police will accept it. 

When I got my Thai license many years ago, I applied for a car license and the woman at the test centre asked if I had a U.K. bike license to which I said yes. She issued me with a car and separate bike license without any further questions 😂

My Experience was a little different  My Australia license(Victoria) has the endorsement R for full motorbike license   took a bit of explianing before I was issued with my bike license 

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

I am inclined to agree. it is diffcult to feel sympathy for the stupid who ride with no insurance  cover and go e begging to cover medical costs etc when they have an accident

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Thommo said:

My Experience was a little different  My Australia license(Victoria) has the endorsement R for full motorbike license   took a bit of explianing before I was issued with my bike license 

I guess it’s like everything else in Thailand. One law, many interpretations….  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

??? Well I don’t play that game. I have a full Thai licence. 

As for the many expats living in Thailand, they will either have a Thai license and many won’t have any insurance either. 

Know a lot Thais don't have Insurance.  Many are confused with compulsory personal injury insurance that comes with registration etc. many believe they have car Insurance. Sure they only hear the word Insurance and think yep have that.

1 minute ago, palooka said:

Know a lot Thais don't have Insurance.  Many are confused with compulsory personal injury insurance that comes with registration etc. many believe they have car Insurance. Sure they only hear the word Insurance and think yep have that.

Well yes. The number of Thais driving and riding cars and bikes without a licence even is scary, never mind insurance😱

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

If you are thinking of hiring a bike in Thailand, don't, hire a car if you think your life is worth more than a few quid.

If you live in Thailand then buy your own car, follow the same logic. 

I know of at least two farangs who have died in Thailand on motorbikes leaving Thai wives behind with small babies and no insurance for them to live on. 

I have seen other dead farangs over the years due to motorbike accidents who I did not personally know.

Since being in Phuket from November last year I have seen lots of motorbike accidents with an ambulance in attendance and hundreds of other very near misses. 

If my car is ever damaged, it is better it is damaged rather than me or a family member as that only costs money to fix.

On 11/15/2021 at 6:00 AM, HolyCowCm said:

Yes leave a 3000 baht security deposit as a rule of thumb 

These days it seems rare for them to ask for passports, most ask for deposit now................

You can post 1001 articles about renting motorcycles in Thaiand....Do you think those who are renting really bother to read....may be only 10%. But will they really follow...I doubt.