News Forum - Tourism in Thailand is slowly returning, still a long road ahead

Thaiger

Though the government’s expected flood of tourists entering Thailand since the reopening 2 weeks ago has been closer to a trickle, businesses are seeing a bit of an uptick in tourism. Still, they are calling on the government to loosen Covid-19 restrictions and asking for federal financial programs to be extended and expanded to help speed recovery. The president of the Thai Hotels Association says that advanced bookings for next month and January are up, and that tour operators have promoted Thailand with reopening packages to encourage people to make their holiday plans in the country, but success is still […]

The story Tourism in Thailand is slowly returning, still a long road ahead as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

FFS, what is this woman waffling on about? How can anyone develop a strategy when the government policies & regulations are completely undefined and ever changing. No business that is on its knees, like so many tourism businesses are, will be helped by soft loans nor the ludicrous domestic "stimulation promotions". The last time such schemes were implemented the uptake was pitiful. Businesses need grants not soft loans, just to keep themselves on life support. Household debt is at all time highs so domestic tourists will stay at home or take awaydays not holidays. The reality is the government doesn't want tourism to attract young free thinking people frommthe west because they carry too many liberal attitudes that will infect Thai people. This country is heading for catastrophe under this junta. Strap in for a bumpy ride.

• Like 10

"The association president said the government needs to negotiate with countries to remove Thailand for the list of destinations that require quarantine upon return."

how about getting the outbreak under control by fully vaccinating your people first, recording all of the positive cases not just pcr, rather than asking countries to ignore the risks to their own countries and allow travel 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The one that coming back are for the most not real tourist most have a connection like girlfriend family or so sure they have many bookings lots are dubble bookings and a lot was thinking the bars open dec 1 lots of them will now cancel get a little bored whit thais that think what ever they do its a great succes if the whole world go right the thai go left and its a great succes and they the only one who right

• Like 4

No mention of the 'We travel Together' specials that have seen hundreds of Thais flocking to the winter sun in Germany in the last week. Wonder if anyone at TAT can spot the irony of seeking to lure high quality visitors here when Thailand's finest can't wait to get the hell out of the place.

• Like 7

Tourists want value for their money. Want more tourists offer more value. Whether that’s making it easier to visit, reducing risk, or offering more of what they want. Problem is Thailand isn’t willing to offer anything more than they are now. That’s fine, but then don’t expect the numbers to grow until something changes. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Rob2010 said:

No mention of the 'We travel Together' specials that have seen hundreds of Thais flocking to the winter sun in Germany in the last week. Wonder if anyone at TAT can spot the irony of seeking to lure high quality visitors here when Thailand's finest can't wait to get the hell out of the place.

Sure no wealthy tourists is interestet in a dictatorship ruled country with weird views and actions but no high quality standards or safety standards or any standards they have like in Monacco or any other high end destinations. And for sure nobody of the rich is interested to watch in what poverty they brought the country. Ask in Monacco if anybody is interested to make holiday in Myanmar or Thailand. And the most absurd is they think the rich tourists dont like to drink their champagner or enjoy their clubs. I guess no one of them ever were in Monacco, st. Tropez, St. Moritz etc etc

• Like 5

and it will take a lllooonnngggg time with this brainless retards making decisions, stupid decisions, exactly decisions what makes the tourists not come back... in my opinion all these clowns bought their education to get in the government, all these clowns are more dumb then the ass of a pig

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Though the government’s expected flood of tourists entering Thailand since the reopening 2 weeks ago has been closer to a trickle, businesses are seeing a bit of an uptick in tourism. Still, they are calling on the government to loosen Covid-19 restrictions and asking for federal financial programs to be extended and expanded to help speed recovery. The president of the Thai Hotels Association says that advanced bookings for next month and January are up, and that tour operators have promoted Thailand with reopening packages to encourage people to make their holiday plans in the country, but success is still […]

The story Tourism in Thailand is slowly returning, still a long road ahead as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I would have no quarantine if returning to the US. Several reasons I will not go to Thailand at this time. The holidays are coming up and will travel domestically to see family. Will begin to look at possibly scheduling for February or March, but only if the test on arrival is removed. It is not about the cost of the test. It is the presence of the test and the risk of "guilt by proximity". As long as Thailand insists on test on arrival, I will wait. I have 30 days to spend and will not risk spending half of it in a hotel prison eating dumplings. I saw "Oldboy". It doesn't end well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Domestically, the government needs to extend programs like “Travel Around Thailand” and “We Travel Together” that help subsidise domestic travellers’ holidays

What could possibly go wrong with encouraging people to travel around the country when only half the population are fully vaccinated?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pompies said:

FFS, what is this woman waffling on about? How can anyone develop a strategy when the government policies & regulations are completely undefined and ever changing. No business that is on its knees, like so many tourism businesses are, will be helped by soft loans nor the ludicrous domestic "stimulation promotions". The last time such schemes were implemented the uptake was pitiful. Businesses need grants not soft loans, just to keep themselves on life support. Household debt is at all time highs so domestic tourists will stay at home or take awaydays not holidays. The reality is the government doesn't want tourism to attract young free thinking people frommthe west because they carry too many liberal attitudes that will infect Thai people. This country is heading for catastrophe under this junta. Strap in for a bumpy ride.

2 hours ago, Pompies said:

I don't know what young free thinkers for the west you're talking about. I would assume most would be busy getting an education, then starting a career. Older travelers that have resources might be a better bet. However, the stimulas to the country might be different and less focused on bars and the sex industry. Chinese and Indian tourist would be less likely to fill the void left by sexpats, different type of visitor. Thing will get better but unlikely to be the same as before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob2010 said:

No mention of the 'We travel Together' specials that have seen hundreds of Thais flocking to the winter sun in Germany in the last week.

Probably "no mention" because the " 'We travel Together' specials" haven't "seen hundreds of Thais flocking to the winter sun in Germany in the last week" because the 'We Travel Together' and 'Tour Travel Thai' schemes are for domestic travel in Thailand only.

For the 'We Travel Together' scheme "the government will subsidize 40 percent of hotel expenses, or up to 3,000 baht per room per night. People who qualify will receive food coupons of up to 600 baht a day. Concerning air travel, the government will refund 40 percent of the ticket price, or up to 2,000 baht or 3,000 baht, under conditions set by each province.

Regarding the Tour Travel Thai campaign, the government will contribute 40 percent of the tour package price, or up to 5,000 baht per person."

https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG210922225248174

1 hour ago, Rob2010 said:

Wonder if anyone at TAT can spot the irony of seeking to lure high quality visitors here when Thailand's finest can't wait to get the hell out of the place.

Only if you think that those going abroad for their holidays from Europe, the UK, the USA or anywhere else are also their countries' "finest" and doing so because they "can't wait to get the hell out" of their own countries too 😯.

• Haha 2

the Thai government should urge embassy consulates to be more prompt in issuing visas and working on Saturdays and Sundays as well, given the amount of requests.  And one more thing, respond to emails asking for information and support

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Luigi said:

the Thai government should urge embassy consulates to be more prompt in issuing visas and working on Saturdays and Sundays as well, given the amount of requests.  And one more thing, respond to emails asking for information and support

That's asking a lot. The Thai Embassy in London are open from 2pm until 4pm, Mo-Fri. As for replying to e mails, I've yet to receive one.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It’s not rocket science, or maybe it is for some.

Tourism is a business and just like any other business the (true) tourists of the world are customers with choice and if you want them to come then they need to be attracted not dissuaded. 

The equation could not be more simple. The more hoops/obstacles. The fewer the tourists. It’s not a holiday if you have to undertake multiple tasks with additional costs to make it happen. Its just another job and that is not what holiday’s are about. Not to mention the risks of it being totally destroyed because you sat in the wrong seat etc.

To quote a famous playwright “To be or not to be, that is the question” you are either open for business or your not, no more half measures if you want true tourists. 

let’s face the facts, those coming now (or trying to) have reasons, such as to see family, friends or girlfriends.

Get the vaccination’s in place and stop talking about third booster jabs when you still have people waiting for their first shot. 

Time to wake up and smell the coffee. 

• Like 3

I think they should remove the test on arrival as soon as they see that very few are tested positive. I think many people are afraid that the test can wrongly show positive and that they can get stuck in quarantine or hospital even though they are actually not infected.

• Like 2

I think we will see some significant changes in the next two weeks. I think we will see a move away from PCR to ATK and a relaxing of rules for alcohol in restaurants in other areas. Once they do that, then the bars are essentially open again and many more people will look to travel over the Christmas and New Year period. What follows after that in Jan & Feb in terms of Covid, only time will tell. I do think Bangkok living is much more like it is in Western countries, with mass transportations, air conditioned restaurants/bars, more taxi journeys, indoor shopping malls etc. The holiday destinations such as Phuket and Pattaya are more outdoors and hence much safer in terms of Covid infections. It will be an interesting few weeks ahead. 

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

21 hours ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

I would have no quarantine if returning to the US. Several reasons I will not go to Thailand at this time. The holidays are coming up and will travel domestically to see family. Will begin to look at possibly scheduling for February or March, but only if the test on arrival is removed. It is not about the cost of the test. It is the presence of the test and the risk of "guilt by proximity". As long as Thailand insists on test on arrival, I will wait. I have 30 days to spend and will not risk spending half of it in a hotel prison eating dumplings. I saw "Oldboy". It doesn't end well.

45000 arrived--52 positive-----play the odds--im going in this week....focusing on the majority.....no the 0.012

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2215283/pm-pleased-with-rising-tourist-numbers