What Book are you currently reading?

Lorraine

8 minutes ago, Silbers said:

For anyone interested in the UFO phenomenon it's well worth checking out.

Interested? I should say so. The 'things' and the 'do they or don't they' debate fascinate me beyond words.

Hello, Silbers and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 6:13 PM, David1991 said:

This this count?

Airways magazine and i get it on subscription and posted to me every quarter. It is an american aviation mag with good articles.

I read Playboy, does that count ;)

I read something like 100 books pa, mainly Ebooks as hard-copy is so expensive and hard to acquire even in 2nd hand shops.  I came across a legit depository of all books from which I download.  Happy to share the URL via private message.

My current reading included Gerald Seymour novels based on the Cold War era although one of my favourite authors is Robert Harris - informative and exciting historical novels.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Cool 1

Started a Graham Norton novel "Holding" which was his debut novel a couple of year ago, he presents the Graham Norton Show on BBC1.

• Like 1

Great, everyone is busy reading and I have no book at the moment and will head to Asia Books at the weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

3 hours ago, Lorraine said:

Great, everyone is busy reading and I have no book at the moment and will head to Asia Books at the weekend. 

Don't you like reading on your phone or tablet?

• Like 1

Slightly off-topic. If you are a member of your library back wherever it is you hail from, take advantage of their eBook shelf. I tend to use Overdrive (for an eBook format as opposed to Kindle (which I do use from time-to-time but, Bezos...)) and check out as many books as my library allows. I'll download these to my Kobo reader and then set the Way Back Machine (AKA: date on my device) to two or three years ago so my reader thinks the books aren't due back for the next three years and 21 days. Then I can read at my leisure and mix in other books as they come available as hard copies or on my iPad. Once set firmly in the past I can check the books back in for someone else to read. The hack works on iPad, too. I've only done this on eBooks so don't know if it works on Kindle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

7 hours ago, JamesE said:

Slightly off-topic. If you are a member of your library back wherever it is you hail from, take advantage of their eBook shelf. I tend to use Overdrive (for an eBook format as opposed to Kindle (which I do use from time-to-time but, Bezos...)) and check out as many books as my library allows. I'll download these to my Kobo reader and then set the Way Back Machine (AKA: date on my device) to two or three years ago so my reader thinks the books aren't due back for the next three years and 21 days. Then I can read at my leisure and mix in other books as they come available as hard copies or on my iPad. Once set firmly in the past I can check the books back in for someone else to read. The hack works on iPad, too. I've only done this on eBooks so don't know if it works on Kindle.

Good information James and a clever hack too!

I have different e-readers on PC and tablet (for when traveling) and these Apps can be downloaded free, same with the e-books I get from an online depository.  No longer use cumbersome torrents.

• Like 1

Don't you like reading on your phone or tablet?

I am very traditional Silbers and much prefer to have the physical book to read from.

I can see the benefits of downloads and the choices are endless and never coming away from a local bookshop empty handed.

Might have a look at downloading classics and take it from there.

Edited by Lorraine
Adding in a name
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Tjampman said:

I love e-readers but why do all the publishers need to make them so difficult to use. Have they learned nothing from the music and movie industry.

I have Googles 'Play Books' on my Samsung tablet and it displays just like a real book when turning pages.  Font style/size and colours are customisable, it remembers where I left off even without bookmarking and changes to night or day mode automatically.  It really is superb so long as you ignore the advertised books on offer .... mostly in Thai (doh).  They do provide the odd freebie in English, some are quite good.

This thread has prompted me to check, and yes, it's available for PC so I've added it in Extensions.  Will see how it compares with 'Liberty' which I've used on PC until now.

• Cool 1

4 minutes ago, Tjampman said:

When I said ereaders, I might have used the wrong word, I like the ones with e-ink is that the right term?

Like the kindle etc, very easy to read the screen in daylight and lowlight, and them being very light weight as well.

I bought the Samsung tablet in 2014 with Play Books instead of a dedicated kindle like device due to similar 8" screen, and the screen being almost as good in all light conditions.  The fact that it is also a phone and has all the functions of a pc made it ideal for travel though I also use it daily around home for portability reasons.

Huawai have a newer similar sized tablet if I need to upgrade.

I've used 'Play Books' on my PC today and it's no where near as good as the Android version.  It's good but I can't change the white background so I'll stick with 'Liberty' for pc.

• Cool 1

23 hours ago, BKKTCD said:

I am a big science fiction fan. Currently, I’m reading We Are Legion (We Are Bob) by Dennis Taylor… I am very pleased.

I'm starting to get into some SiFi by Chinese authors. If you haven't, check out the trilogy by Liu Cixin that starts with The Three Body Problem. Also, Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro (Who's a Brit born in Japan) interesting take on the near future. I'm going to check out the Bobiverse...

• Haha 1

to show that us Aussies is sofisticated, sorry clever, the book I am reading,  fiction is Bruce Chatwin " On the Black Hill ". Normally don't read fiction, prefer recent Asian history,  French and American occupation/ disasters Laos and Vietnam etc.

Having read Chatwin's other books, " In Patagonia " (been there) and "The Songlines" about Australia,  I find his writing insightful. 

The Great Green Diamond by Inspector Stark, courtesy of the Gutenberg Project.

Just finished re-reading The Life and Adventures of Robinson Crusoe and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, also free from the Gutenberg Project.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Thank you MrStretch, I had never heard of the Gutenberg project before today.

I have taken the following extract form their website

"Project Gutenberg is an online library of free eBooks.

Project Gutenberg was the first provider of free electronic books, or eBooks. Michael Hart, founder of Project Gutenberg, invented eBooks in 1971 and his memory continues to inspire the creation of eBooks and related content today"

They offer over sixty thousand titles and this has made my day.

• Like 1

The next Book that I will read is How Animals Saved My Life: Being the Supervet by Noel Fitzpatrick. A little bit of research and the book is about Noel's moving and often funny stories of the animals he has treated and the unique ‘animal people’ he has met along the way. He reflects on the valuable lessons of Integrity, Care, Love and Hope that they have taught him – lessons that have sustained him through the unbelievable highs and crushing lows of a profession where lives are quite literally at stake.

• Cool 1

The next Book that I will read is How Animals Saved My Life: Being the Supervet by Noel Fitzpatrick.

An Amazing Vet, been watching the TV series for years as its on Channel 4.

A series I'd recommend (I'm halfway through now) are Colin Cotterill's Dr. Siri Paiboon books. Set in immediate post-Revolution Laos they are very entertaining and provide a glimpse into Thailand from the near-outside. Plus, there's ghosts and amulets. Good stuff.

I am reading a classic entitled; Vanity Fair by William Thackeray, Always wanted to read it and it’s the 1st classic that I have read since leaving school.

Preview taken from Goodreads

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5797.Vanity_Fair

A novel that chronicles the lives of two women who could not be more different: Becky Sharp, an orphan whose only resources are her vast ambitions, her native wit, and her loose morals; and her schoolmate Amelia Sedley, a typically naive Victorian heroine, the pampered daughter of a wealthy family.

After a quick look at my Book shelves, I have put together a short list of some of my favorite classics that you might enjoy reading at some point.

·         Scoop by Evelyn Waugh

·         The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

·         East of Eden by John Steinbeck

·         Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

·         Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Interesting list Andrew, will give "East of Eden by John Steinbeck" a go and ordering it now with some other books from Amazon. Probably will have to wait weeks for delivery.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just reading some Clive Cussler mind candy at the moment.

Lately, I've been finding mind candy more satisfying than something that challenges me.

Maybe it's the pandemic.

Edited by MrStretch

Rereading: 

The Colonizer's Model of the World: Geographical Diffusion and Eurocentric History

James Blaut

• Like 1