News Forum - Phuket to get 3 new tourist attractions

Thaiger

4 months after the launch of the Phuket Sandbox, a pilot reopening scheme that has now morphed into a country-wide reopening plan for international travellers, the local Phuket government are talking about spending 100 million baht on new landmarks to help attract tourists. The first of 3 landmark projects is a glass skywalk which would allow visitors to walk along the structure whilst enjoying the view but being able to see straight down through the walkway as well. A similar structure has been constructed at in Loei, near the Laos border, as the Chiang Khan Skywalk, allowing visitors to walk […]

The story Phuket to get 3 new tourist attractions as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Fantastic! Just the type of thing I've been calling for. World class attractions that cater to the kind of tourists any country would be proud to welcome.

• Haha 3

The fools may spend billions but the BIG attraction for Phuket as with so many other locations is the places natural beauty. Why not use these funds to clean the environment and help people economically affected by covid19.

Rather than spending this money on things they think "falang and jek want" how about getting rid of the stupid national marine park fees and stop charging those that clean up underwater rubbish. Now that is what falang would want.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Cool 1

6 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

The fools may spend billions but the BIG attraction for Phuket as with so many other locations is the places natural beauty. Why not use these funds to clean the environment and help people economically affected by covid19.

Rather than spending this money on things they think "falang and jek want" how about getting rid of the stupid national marine park fees and stop charging those that clean up underwater rubbish. Now that is what falang would want.

Well an excellent point you made but we all know who runs that place and cleaning the place up will not benefit them directly financially. Nor does helping the less well off interest them one iota. Whereas creaming off 30% directly from 100 million baht will.

1 minute ago, gummy said:

Well an excellent point you made but we all know who runs that place and cleaning the place up will not benefit them directly financially. Nor does helping the less well off interest them one iota. Whereas creaming off 30% directly from 100 million baht will.

Yes. Unfortunately reality sets in and the powers at be open the BMW/Mercedes catalogue to pick their next toy at the expense of others.

• Like 2

How about feeding the less fortunate.  If you look at the photo what is the point of elevating something so little above the horizon when you could likely just stand on the banks and see the same thing without wasting a pile of money.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Whatever one might think of these (not realy original) plans. You have to admit they perfectly align with the plans to attract wealthy foreigners, don't they?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, javada88 said:

Whatever one might think of these (not realy original) plans. You have to admit they perfectly align with the plans to attract wealthy foreigners, don't they?

Unfortunately yes.

• Like 1

Mickkotlarski, you realy think wealthy foreigners would come to Thailand to visit glass skywalks? Those things are rapidly becoming as original as a Thai or Chinese temple.

• Like 1

These sort of attractions are very popular with chinese tour groups for selfies etc.

They will probably do very well with this sort of attraction long term.

Not my sort of thing at all and probably the case with most folks here but they are looking to the future.

Low quality smelly kee neow  westerners such as myself are of little value to thailand from now on.i think a few will probably stay on and may become a bit of tourist  attraction themselves, something along the lines of jurrasic park.

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, Cathat said:

These sort of attractions are very popular with chinese tour groups for selfies etc.

Not my sort of thing at all and probably the case with most folks here but they are looking to the future.

Low quality smelly kee neow  westerners such as myself are of little value to thailand from now on.i think a few will probably stay on and may become a bit of tourist  attraction themselves, something along the lines of jurrasic park.

You mean a bit like this  ?

image.jpeg.b6573193c54ba0956f10f06b1a67a3d2.jpeg

18 minutes ago, javada88 said:

Mickkotlarski, you realy think wealthy foreigners would come to Thailand to visit glass skywalks? Those things are rapidly becoming as original as a Thai or Chinese temple.

I don't think this way but the powers at be unfortunately do as it is profitable for them. A concern is it is the same scam as artistic street lights around the country in  which those that order these eyes sores get a very generous increase in budget due to the "level of artistry".

I think you may have misunderstood my last answer. I was actually agreeing with you.

Someone clearly has an interest in steel and glass supplies. These so called attractions have no merit other than to fill brown envelopes for certain interested parties.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

When I first saw the headline "3 new attractions for Phuket", my first thought was three large macaques on a hilltop...hear no evil...see no evil...speak no evil!!! Glass walkways? Definately for the Chinese. I can see it now, tour bus pulls up....tourists get out...take selfies...get back on bus...go to hotel.... That's all that happens at Cape Prom Threp every evening on a clear day.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cathat said:

7 hours ago, Jason said:

Glass walkways? Definately for the Chinese. I can see it now, tour bus pulls up....tourists get out...take selfies...get back on bus...go to hotel.... That's all that happens at Cape Prom Threp every evening on a clear day.

Exactly as it is with the Skywalk at Chiang Khan.

Plenty of Thai and Asian tourists taking selfies, one solitary farang who didn't particularly enjoy the sensation or see the point of walking on panes of glass (me), and very little real affect on the local economy.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

12 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Exactly as it is with the Skywalk at Chiang Khan.

Tell me please, @Stonker, the attention-to-detail person that you are, and having seen the pic of Loie's skywalk, described as being 80m high (or above the Mekong at least), I can see people on the top walkway, presumably averaging 1.6m tall, protected by a balustrade of similar height, that are, to my eye at least, no more than 10 or maybe 12 times smaller than the supporting pillars, that is to say that I see the skywalk as being no more than and probably less than 20m high. If you've enjoyed this 'attraction', is the photo vastly down-scaling its height or is my fetish for accuracy getting the better of me?

41 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Tell me please, @Stonker, the attention-to-detail person that you are, and having seen the pic of Loie's skywalk, described as being 80m high (or above the Mekong at least), I can see people on the top walkway, presumably averaging 1.6m tall, protected by a balustrade of similar height, that are, to my eye at least, no more than 10 or maybe 12 times smaller than the supporting pillars, that is to say that I see the skywalk as being no more than and probably less than 20m high. If you've enjoyed this 'attraction', is the photo vastly down-scaling its height or is my fetish for accuracy getting the better of me?

That skywalk was drawn up by the same people who designed the Stonehenge set for Spinal Tap ……….. allegedly !!

• Haha 1

Let’s get this in to perspective. 100 million baht is £2.2m. It’s not exactly a whole lot of money for a place that has been attracting 10 million tourists a year for several years. If you also factor in 30% will go straight in the pocket, then they are investing a whopping 70 million baht or £1.55m. That’s about the monthly income of one of the rich tourists they are looking to attract 🙃

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Nothing wrong with your eyesight or any fetishes (that I'm aware of) but you and the description are both correct.

The Skywalk's on the top of a steep slope, so while it's 80m above the Mekong, the river's not immediately below it, and it's probably about 25m above the ground if you look (or dropped) straight down, maybe a bit more. Don't drop your mobile while taking a selfie.

The metal balustrade's not much more than a metre high, though, not 1.60, with the glass behind it maybe 20 cm higher so maybe 1.20 or 1.25.

It's one way, so once you're on the glass you wouldn't be popular if you changed your mind.

25 baht per person for the shuttle bus up and down the hill (return), which is reasonable as you can spend as much (or as little) time on the Skywalk as you want, plus 30 baht to buy a pair of furry overshoes so you don't scratch the glass.

Edit:

No double pricing, but XXL t-shirts are 120 baht instead of 100, IIRC 😇

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Stonker said:

Nothing wrong with your eyesight or any fetishes (that I'm aware of) but you and the description are both correct.

The Skywalk's on the top of a steep slope, so while it's 80m above the Mekong, the river's not immediately below it, and it's probably about 25m above the ground if you look (or dropped) straight down, maybe a bit more. Don't drop your mobile while taking a selfie.

The metal balustrade's not much more than a metre high, though, not 1.60, with the glass behind it maybe 20 cm higher so maybe 1.20 or 1.25.

It's one way, so once you're on the glass you wouldn't be popular if you changed your mind.

25 baht per person for the shuttle bus up and down the hill (return), which is reasonable as you can spend as much (or as little) time on the Skywalk as you want, plus 30 baht to buy a pair of furry overshoes so you don't scratch the glass.

Edit:

No double pricing, but XXL t-shirts are 120 baht instead of 100, IIRC 😇

Thanks for that, @Stonker. Your attention to detail is definitely XXL 🙂!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1