News Forum - Dogs to help Thailand’s prisoners prepare for reintegration into society

Thaiger

Dogs are going to some of Thailand’s prisons as part of a new therapy programme by the Department of Corrections to help psychologically prepare inmates for reintegration into society after release and to improve the mental health of inmates by reducing anxiety and depression. Justice Minister Somsak Thepsuthin also said some convicts will learn vocational skills that could potentially help them get jobs after they finish their sentence. “The programme aims to teach inmates to be kinder and more humane, besides handing them vocational skills. Graduates under this programme can use the experience to become a veterinarian assistant or work […]

The story Dogs to help Thailand’s prisoners prepare for reintegration into society as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Supervisors will work to choose dogs that match the personalities of the inmates.

Just how will that work?
If someone's going to work with tourists, will they end up with a blind dog for the guides?

• Haha 3

I don’t see how this will work. Any Thai prisoner that needs the emotional healing that a dog can bring won’t be allowed anywhere near the dogs. Most likely the guards will keep the dogs as their own prison pets, well away from the prisoners while the favored prisoners will serve as servants to the dogs, as they are already to the guards. If they trained the prisoners to train dogs, and rotated the prisoners receiving the training then I could see a benefit for the prisoners and dogs alike but otherwise…. seems like a nice gesture that simply won’t work in such an oppressive environment.

The use of dogs as therapy animals is becoming more understood. Dogs have helped war veterans, elderly people and people who face trauma as part of their jobs. If it can make a difference to rehabilitate offenders is a good thing. Or would you rather even more overcrowded prisons ?

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Or would you rather even more overcrowded prisons ?

I did not say I disagreed with the idea. I expressed doubts as to how it would be implemented inside a prison. A big difference that you missed in your haste to leap onto your soapbox.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

The use of dogs as therapy animals is becoming more understood. Dogs have helped war veterans, elderly people and people who face trauma as part of their jobs. If it can make a difference to rehabilitate offenders is a good thing. Or would you rather even more overcrowded prisons ?

Disgusting animals, I would not want one of those dirty slobbering beasts any where near me, anybody needing therapy should get it and not be fobbed off with a pathetically dependant dog.

Similar programmes have been used very successfully in plenty of prisons in the UK, USA, Australia, Canada and in plenty of European countries for a couple of decades if not longer.

7 hours ago, Stonker said:

Similar programmes have been used very successfully in plenty of prisons in the UK, USA, Australia, Canada and in plenty of European countries for a couple of decades if not longer.

Probably not Korea though I would guess.

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Probably not Korea though I would guess.

I believe they used Pit Bulls there so if the offender re-offends the dog is trained to eat him 😂

13 hours ago, Sarisin said:

Disgusting animals, I would not want one of those dirty slobbering beasts any where near me, anybody needing therapy should get it and not be fobbed off with a pathetically dependant dog.

Do you need a hug? 

• Haha 1

Just now, Fanta said:

Do you need a hug? 

Not from a flea bitten dog, at least it will get prisoners used to life outside- where there are millions of nasty soi dogs roaming about.