News Forum - Motorbike law breakers: report them and win up to 20,000 baht

Thaiger

In an effort to increase traffic safety, or perhaps the fines that come with it, police are enlisting a new weapon in enforcement: you. A new program would offer the chance to win prizes of up to 20,00 baht from the Thai National Police for citizens who record and report motorbike drivers breaking traffic laws. The new programme, announced by the Deputy National Police Chief yesterday and scheduled to begin this coming Monday, will offer cash rewards to people who take photos or record videos of illegal motorbike activities and submit them to the Royal Thai Police for prosecution. The […]

The story Motorbike law breakers: report them and win up to 20,000 baht as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So, the car drivers that block roads and park anywhere that gets them closest to a convenience store, often illegally, are also riding scooters? I wish that the people wouldn't do the job of the police, but they will! 

• Like 1

This is not how you fix a problem like this. You start with proper education and you enforce laws by law enforcement officers (Police).  You don’t sow seeds of division by having the public snitch on each other. If someone is directly affected by a person breaking the law on a bike then fine.

You have to wonder how these ideas are developed. Actually, what am I saying?  They aren’t developed. The “Top man” has an idea, puts it to his subordinates who nod their head in grovelling approval and next thing it’s policy. No debate. No questions. No challenges or opportunity to input. Just do it. 

• Like 11

' . . . They particularly mentioned the urban problem of motorbikes parking and even driving on the sidewalk pavement . . . '

Difficult to correlate those offences with reducing traffic accidents and deaths or significantly improving road-safety, but it looks like this will be the new RTP approach to the task.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Soidog said:

You have to wonder how these ideas are developed. Actually, what am I saying?  They aren’t developed. The “Top man” has an idea, puts it to his subordinates who nod their head in grovelling approval and next thing it’s policy. No debate. No questions. No challenges or opportunity to input. Just do it. 

Maybe trying to justify putting himself in overall charge of the RTP within days of his being 'elected' PM (Aug '19) and asking himself the question, "What have I, as Commander-in-Chief of the RTP for over two years, actually achieved . . . other than nothing?"

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Soidog said:

This is not how you fix a problem like this. You start with proper education and you enforce laws by law enforcement officers (Police).  You don’t sow seeds of division by having the public snitch on each other. If someone is directly affected by a person breaking the law on a bike then fine.

This reminds me a little of the new Texas Abortion Law, which allows complete strangers to sue anyone who facilitates an abortion (such as the cabbie who drove her to the clinic) for $10k.

Regardless, I have this feeling that had the police been more diligent in enforcing the laws to begin with, they would not have to resort to this. I also have this concern about how this will work. If Lek reports Bee for doing "wheelies", will they need corroboration? If not, it could be a nice little earner.

• Like 4
  • Cool 1

I agree soidog, education it where it needs to start. Twice last week I came across two car drivers driving the wrong way on my side of the road in the fast lane . Jesus I shit myself luckily I was able to take evasive action to avoid a head on. Scary moments

Edited by Geo
  • Like 3
  • Cool 1

I put a lot of poor road safety standards to a downside of Thai society which teaches you to basically mind your own business. Peer pressure is by far the most powerful social pressure as it’s ever present. In the U.K. if I saw a neighbours kid messing about on the road or riding without a helmet in the village, I would most likely mention it to their parents and be thanked for it. Although that will happen between family members in Thailand, it doesn’t extend much further. Helmet wearing obviously has  a major safety benefit, though it does provide the rider with a certain amount of anonymity   Similar to the 360 degree blacked out windows of car drivers. 

I simply can not understand the mentality of most Thais when they drive cars or ride bikes. I recall seeing a teacher in a school get in their car and drive like a total maniac through the grounds of the school with kids all around them. Spent all day educating their minds and then nearly killed half a dozen as she needed to get home. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

' . . . They particularly mentioned the urban problem of motorbikes parking and even driving on the sidewalk pavement . . . '

Difficult to correlate those offences with reducing traffic accidents and deaths or significantly improving road-safety, but it looks like this will be the new RTP approach to the task.

One of the lesser known probs regarding police corruption at Scotland Yard in the 1970's was the rewards scam. A robbery might take place and an insurance company would offer say, a £10k reward. If the cops were able to solve the crime on their own, they weren'tt allowed to receive the reward. So what they would do is tell the Insurers "Light Fingered Larry" was the informant and accompany him to the insurers, where he collected the reward, and then handed it to the cops who took the lions share of the cash.

I wonder how many cops g/f's and wives might benefit from this latest idea the RTP have come up with.

• Cool 1

3 minutes ago, Thommo said:

This is better then cypto   I thnk I will be able to make a fortune each morning thanks to my dash cam🤣 

This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius technology!

• Haha 1

They should do something to those people who drive at night through the soi with high beam on their pick-up trucks. They shine brighter than the sun. I think that one of these days I end up crashing into one of them with my car. 

In my country we call it "crimestoppers "and it's for any form of crime detected by the public. Most have a phone with a camera. But it will never replace police out and about patrolling.

And the top prize goes to? Captain Somchai's wife, Lt Rungsack's brother and so on. This is going to be a witch hunt and is getting really stupid ugly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Didn't they have a similar snitch promotion a couple of years ago regarding motorbikes on the pavement?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Didn't they have a similar snitch promotion a couple of years ago regarding motorbikes on the pavement?

Yes, that being quite a big issue, around that time, does ring a bell. Maybe the prizes weren't worth the hassle . . . that and minding other people's business not having caught on in Thailand . . . yet.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Thommo said:

This is better then cypto   I thnk I will be able to make a fortune each morning thanks to my dash cam🤣 

2 hours ago, AlexPTY said:

this could be a full time job

Clever! Two birds with one stone...

You'll get 20k baht and your visa is revoked for working 🤔

Next time you're passing by a school just have a glance at the bike-shed.. In some cases there's more m/bikes than cycles.. So outside the school twice a day is a MiB on traffic duty waiving these kids on m/bikes in thru' the school gates each day... & this is Nationwide.  Helmets..mm? Underage/no licence, or insurance.. almost certain, but hey-ho..TiT.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

42 minutes ago, Tanuki said:

Next time you're passing by a school just have a glance at the bike-shed.. In some cases there's more m/bikes than cycles.. So outside the school twice a day is a MiB on traffic duty waiving these kids on m/bikes in thru' the school gates each day... & this is Nationwide.  Helmets..mm? Underage/no licence, or insurance.. almost certain, but hey-ho..TiT.

Yes you raise an interesting point. It never ceases to amaze me how the police focus on one thing and one thing only at any given time. I often see two police at a junction around 4:30-5pm manually operating the traffic lights (why? God only knows, but that’s another topic). I’m amazed to see a row of bikes at the front with 50% of people not wearing a helmet. What do the police do?  Nothing! They are there to operate lights and chat to each other, not enforce the law. I’ve seen the same thing right outside police stations. The police are heading home so nothing is done. What’s even more amazing is that the locals know nothing will happen and don’t even try to avoid the police. 

Until you change this kind of mindset, you can have all the campaigns you like, nothing will change. TIT. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1