News Forum - Thammasat University vs. Foreign Affairs Ministry: 1.5 million vaccines lost

Thaiger

It seems that the dust is still settling on the back and forth that pitted Thammasat University Hospital against the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in a struggle to import 1.5 million free Moderna vaccines donated by Poland. Each side argues that it was the other’s failure that prevented the vaccine from being received in Thailand. The university had coordinated a deal with Thonburi Healthcare Group after three months of work, creating a memorandum of understanding that should allow private firms to obtain Covid-19 vaccines through Thammasat University Hospital. The school would coordinate with international suppliers to bring the vaccines into […]

The story Thammasat University vs. Foreign Affairs Ministry: 1.5 million vaccines lost as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This is both bad news for those in need of the vaccine and yet another cluster f_ck bought to the average citizen via the ever reliable inefficiency of bureaucracy. 

But the government alone should not be blamed alone. THG is a farce. Playing the money markets boasting illusions of grandeur to raise the value of its stocks.

As for Thammasat University somebody obviously didn't take the time to understand all the conditions. But it does not take a genius to figure out that a donation for the benefit of a lands citizens is just that. Not to be profited. If they can't afford the logistics then don't accept the arrangement.

Poor form indeed. There must be some disappointed people feeling this now for sure.

• Like 3

Thamasat goes against the grain and doesn't back the institution. As such this is what I am told so if true it goes a lot deeper than what is on the news.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

This is both bad news for those in need of the vaccine and yet another cluster f_ck bought to the average citizen via the ever reliable inefficiency of bureaucracy. 

But the government alone should not be blamed alone. THG is a farce. Playing the money markets boasting illusions of grandeur to raise the value of its stocks.

As for Thammasat University somebody obviously didn't take the time to understand all the conditions. But it does not take a genius to figure out that a donation for the benefit of a lands citizens is just that. Not to be profited. If they can't afford the logistics then don't accept the arrangement.

Poor form indeed. There must be some disappointed people feeling this now for sure.

Yes it amounted to a pissing contest after both sides couldn’t work together. The sad Thai people are the ones that got peed on unfortunately 😕

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ThaiEyes said:

Yes it amounted to a pissing contest after both sides couldn’t work together. The sad Thai people are the ones that got peed on unfortunately 😕

Looks like you've been here for a while. If not then welcome to Thai bureaucracy. But then I think of ever so wise seniors back home and can't help but think that administrators have a profit first policy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mickkotlarski said:

The real story's starting to come out and there aren't really any surprises.

Thammasat were just the unwitting patsies being used.

The whole thing stinks, and the stink centres around Thonburi Healthcare Group who were very clearly aiming to get a million doses of Moderna for free, apart from delivery costs, which they could then sell on to those who'd already paid for them in advance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mickkotlarski said:

Looks like you've been here for a while. If not then welcome to Thai bureaucracy. But then I think of ever so wise seniors back home and can't help but think that administrators have a profit first policy.

I call it a profit filter 😏

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stonker said:

The real story's starting to come out and there aren't really any surprises.

Thammasat were just the unwitting patsies being used.

The whole thing stinks, and the stink centres around Thonburi Healthcare Group who were very clearly aiming to get a million doses of Moderna for free, apart from delivery costs, which they could then sell on to those who'd already paid for them in advance.

And how ironic Stonker as Mor (Dr)  Boon is driving around town in a shiny new top of the range Merc. Like yourself my disgust  goes hand in hand with my lack of surprise. This fiasco has gone too far and simply diverting blame on the government (sounds familiar) to hide his own dodgy dealings is poor form.

My only complaint with Thamasart is they should have smelt a rat and proceeded cautiously. Their people must feel gutted right now.

With the disappointment the two of us are feeling I can't help but feel for many Thai's disgust with what this reptile is doing for a quick profit at the expense of his own nations citizens and the standing of the country itself. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, yetanother said:

who would you bet on ? a highly regarded university ( that has a rep for speaking out) 

OR

a govt that cannot seem to really do ANYthing right ?

Dr.Boon (or rather his wife) has been found insider trading a few months ago, acting on news that was about to be released. I believe an investigation is ongoing.

And plenty of views on the government here without elaborating.

Good to realise that we're all just giving opinions here, not hindered by any exact knowledge of the fine details, so let's not hang anyone just yet ☺️

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, yetanother said:

who would you bet on ? a highly regarded university ( that has a rep for speaking out) 

OR

a govt that cannot seem to really do ANYthing right ?

I'd bet on the Government seeing as you asked.

• Like 2

If reading the report Poland Donated the vaccine, as in we don't want payment for it. So was Thammasat Hospital or University hoping to sell the donated Vaccine ? i'm confused it was either donated free or someone was out to make cash from it.

5 hours ago, vlad said:

i'm confused it was either donated free or someone was out to make cash from it.

Not "either", but 'both'.

1.5 million doses were "donated free", but THG were "out to make cash from it" by selling one million of them 😂!

I wonder if the Ministry realises these vaccines have a used by date? For most, it's six months from the date of despatch from the manufacturer. That s not negotiable. They need to be batch checked and then distributed. There is no time for bureaucratic clap trap. There are so many countries around the world that are desparate for supply. Think of the message this sends to countries like the US, donating vaccines to Thailand.............

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Think of the message this sends to countries like the US, donating vaccines to Thailand.

Indeed - the message being donate them direct to the country you want to give them to, not to someone else who'll then sell them for a tidy profit 😂!

1.5 million doses of Pfizer were donated by the USA. An additional 2 million of Pfizer and Moderna were offered. Gee, free stuff and those officials stall. BTW, It's the fault of the USA.