News Forum - Officials to get tough on people smugglers, use MoUs to bring workers in legally

Thaiger

The labour minister says people smugglers face arrest and having their assets seized as part of a crackdown on migrant workers being brought into Thailand illegally. Since Thailand’s re-opening to international tourists, border officials have seen an increase in the number of illegal migrants attempting to cross into Thailand to secure work. Suchart Chomklin says the criminals running people-smuggling operations will be arrested and have their assets seized. According to the Bangkok Post, the government is planning to reintroduce MoUs with neighbouring countries, which would allow migrant workers to enter Thailand through legal channels. The practice was temporarily suspended in […]

The story Officials to get tough on people smugglers, use MoUs to bring workers in legally as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It say in the article   that "businesses were forced to hire workers illegally due to labour shortages"     and "that the government is planning re-introducing the MoU's .

Really ? labour shortages when millions were out of work due to covid restrictions ? More like they did not want to employ Thais at the minimum wage as poorly paid illegals made their already huge profit margins even larger.

As for re-introducing the MoU's I guess what they mean is that they will discuss with their pals in high places whom have been the main financial benefactors of this illegal worker entry, along with members of the RTA/RTP , as to whether they would agree to stop the practice or at least reduce it so as to pretend its not happening any more.

Can anyone tell me why the Thai 'authorities' have never used paid 'moles' to enter Thailand illegally and find out that way who the people are who hire the human traffickers?   I am sure that there are suitable people in Myanmar who can be offered 100,000 Baht and given a false ID to join the crowds for a successful sting operation to identify the ring leaders. Just asking for a friend 😉 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AussieBob said:

Can anyone tell me why the Thai 'authorities' have never used paid 'moles' to enter Thailand illegally and find out that way who the people are who hire the human traffickers?   I am sure that there are suitable people in Myanmar who can be offered 100,000 Baht and given a false ID to join the crowds for a successful sting operation to identify the ring leaders. Just asking for a friend 😉 

You and your friend are not the only ones asking this question. Unfortunately the entry of illegals has been facilitated by some that have a policy of "better to receive 100,000 than to hand it out".  

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

They see the ring leaders every morning when they look in a mirror.

• Haha 1