New Apple M1 Pro Macbook Available at Central World

dj230

Not sure when it was released but was checking the apple website and noticed they have them in stock now. Both the lower tier models for the 14/16 inch Macbook Pros with the M1 Pro processor. 

Unfortunately its only the lower tier model, but it will have to do for now, higher tier models are available for order as well via shipping or pickup but wait times are 3-4 weeks.

Not sure if the macbook will even suffice as 16gb of ram is a bit low, but will have to see. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dj230 said:

Not sure when it was released but was checking the apple website and noticed they have them in stock now. Both the lower tier models for the 14/16 inch Macbook Pros with the M1 Pro processor. 

Unfortunately its only the lower tier model, but it will have to do for now, higher tier models are available for order as well via shipping or pickup but wait times are 3-4 weeks.

Not sure if the macbook will even suffice as 16gb of ram is a bit low, but will have to see. 

It's not low.  I would buy more ram instead of HD space, but the memory is used differently than Intel. 16GB for the M1 is a lot.  Still, if you want to spend the cash and can wait, load it to the max.  You cannot change it once purchased.

5 hours ago, OneAngryJew said:

It's not low.  I would buy more ram instead of HD space, but the memory is used differently than Intel. 16GB for the M1 is a lot.  Still, if you want to spend the cash and can wait, load it to the max.  You cannot change it once purchased.

Definitely isn’t a lot, I had the MacBook Pro 13 M1 for a bit which was capped at 16gb of RAM, had constant slower applications when multi tasking. You ever see how much ram is used by something as simple as having multiple tabs open on a web browser? 

You can see the usage and I was capped at 16gb. Depends what you’re doing though, 16gb is plenty if you’re just watching YouTube. Once you run out of ram, the laptop uses the SSD as memory but it’s much slower. 

i got lucky though, I went to the store and they had the higher tier model M1 Max with 32gb of ram. 
the 1GB SSD’s apple uses are a bit faster than the base models 512gb SSD’s as well, or at least that’s what I briefly heard while running some videos of the MacBook M1 tests. 

Edited by dj230

33 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Definitely isn’t a lot, I had the MacBook Pro 13 M1 for a bit which was capped at 16gb of RAM, had constant slower applications when multi tasking. You ever see how much ram is used by something as simple as having multiple tabs open on a web browser? 

You can see the usage and I was capped at 16gb. Depends what you’re doing though, 16gb is plenty if you’re just watching YouTube. Once you run out of ram, the laptop uses the SSD as memory but it’s much slower. 

i got lucky though, I went to the store and they had the higher tier model M1 Max with 32gb of ram. 
the 1GB SSD’s apple uses are a bit faster than the base models 512gb SSD’s as well, or at least that’s what I briefly heard while running some videos of the MacBook M1 tests. 

You're wrong.  You say applications were slow? Which applications? Are they optimized for the M1 or are they going through the interpreter?  16gb is a lot today.  If you keep it 5 years, you may wish you had 32.

41 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

You're wrong.  You say applications were slow? Which applications? Are they optimized for the M1 or are they going through the interpreter?  16gb is a lot today.  If you keep it 5 years, you may wish you had 32.

Safari 

Do you own one? I’ve tried them all, same result, 16gb is nothing these days for a person who uses their laptop for work. Even the iPad Pro has 16gb of ram option now. 

maybe I’m just used to having fast applications, I’m actually ordering one with 64gb of ram as 32gb was just enough ram to keep my applications from slowing down. 

Edited by dj230

On 11/10/2021 at 6:07 AM, OneAngryJew said:

How was Safari slow?  Doing what?

Scrolling down a webpage…

what tasks do you do on your laptop? And do you have the MacBook M1 with 8gb or 16gb? 
I am usually using 2-3 applications and 10-15tabs /webpages open (gmails, document pages, chat rooms) , not content heavy web pages either 

this was impossible to do with the 16gb MacBook M1’s, I’d have to close all applications except 1 and I would have to constantly close tabs to keep things running smoothly. This is first hand experience not something read on some blog. 
and you can see clearly on the MacBook how much ram is being used and all 16gb was being used 

in my opinion, 16gb is pretty much good enough for the everyday user sending emails, watching YouTube videos and browsing the web

I just got home and attached a screenshot for you, 11gb / 32gb of ram being used right now in the MacBook I just got, only running a few tabs in safari (9 tabs), not running any applications.

Nothing heavy in content like streaming 4k video or any web applications (forum website, bank websites, a few gmail tabs, 2 news websites). Maybe it was from all the ads on thethaiger, kidding 

when I'm working I would usually have 2-3 applications open on top of this, plus more tabs/webpages, about 2x as many webpages

2 hours ago, dj230 said:

Scrolling down a webpage…

what tasks do you do on your laptop? And do you have the MacBook M1 with 8gb or 16gb? 
I am usually using 2-3 applications and 10-15tabs /webpages open (gmails, document pages, chat rooms) , not content heavy web pages either 

this was impossible to do with the 16gb MacBook M1’s, I’d have to close all applications except 1 and I would have to constantly close tabs to keep things running smoothly. This is first hand experience not something read on some blog. 
and you can see clearly on the MacBook how much ram is being used and all 16gb was being used 

in my opinion, 16gb is pretty much good enough for the everyday user sending emails, watching YouTube videos and browsing the web

I just got home and attached a screenshot for you, 11gb / 32gb of ram being used right now in the MacBook I just got, only running a few tabs in safari (9 tabs), not running any applications.

Nothing heavy in content like streaming 4k video or any web applications (forum website, bank websites, a few gmail tabs, 2 news websites). Maybe it was from all the ads on thethaiger, kidding 

when I'm working I would usually have 2-3 applications open on top of this, plus more tabs/webpages, about 2x as many webpages

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 2.05.08 PM.png

None of that is right.  Can't be unless something is amiss.  Is it fully updated?

10 hours ago, OneAngryJew said:

None of that is right.  Can't be unless something is amiss.  Is it fully updated?

completely brand new, out of the box, this is typical, its similar ram usage to all the M1, intel Macs I've owned and windows computers I've used.

here's another screenshot, still haven't opened any real applications, only 1 web application and a few tabs are open, 17gb of ram being used out of the 32gb,

so if I had a 16gb MacBook, it would have to start using the SSD (swap) as ram, which is super slow compared to using ram as memory. 

anyways, everyone should get a laptop catered to their own usage if 16gb is enough for the user, then by all means get 16gb, just sharing my experience and what i'd recommend if someone asked me. I studied computer science in university, albeit didn't complete my degree but I have a good understanding of how much RAM I need. 

but it actually looks like i'll be retureinning the macbook regardless, thought I could get away with running the software i need for work on a mac but it is just too slow, will have to stick with windows for the time being, really unfortunate because battery life, portability and low heat production on macbooks are amazing which is why I got it in the first place, just a lot more practical. I'm guessing it just costs companies too much to re-develop software for the M1 mac right now, maybe in the future, will try some solutions and see if i can software running smoothly, will have to see. 

On 11/10/2021 at 6:12 PM, dj230 said:

completely brand new, out of the box, this is typical, its similar ram usage to all the M1, intel Macs I've owned and windows computers I've used.

here's another screenshot, still haven't opened any real applications, only 1 web application and a few tabs are open, 17gb of ram being used out of the 32gb,

so if I had a 16gb MacBook, it would have to start using the SSD (swap) as ram, which is super slow compared to using ram as memory. 

anyways, everyone should get a laptop catered to their own usage if 16gb is enough for the user, then by all means get 16gb, just sharing my experience and what i'd recommend if someone asked me. I studied computer science in university, albeit didn't complete my degree but I have a good understanding of how much RAM I need. 

but it actually looks like i'll be retureinning the macbook regardless, thought I could get away with running the software i need for work on a mac but it is just too slow, will have to stick with windows for the time being, really unfortunate because battery life, portability and low heat production on macbooks are amazing which is why I got it in the first place, just a lot more practical. I'm guessing it just costs companies too much to re-develop software for the M1 mac right now, maybe in the future, will try some solutions and see if i can software running smoothly, will have to see. 

screenshot didn't attach

• 2 months later...