News Forum - PM Prayut emphasises importance of Thailand-US partnership

Thaiger

PM Prayut Chan-o-cha held a meeting with members of the US Congress yesterday, in which he stressed the importance of the relationship between Thailand and the United States. He also made it clear that he wanted to pursue further cooperation and partnership with the US as the two countries move forward. Members of the US Congress paid a visit to PM Prayut yesterday while on their official Thailand visit. This is the first group of US officials to come to the country since the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic. This group included Representative Amerish Bera, Member of Congress and chair […]

The story PM Prayut emphasises importance of Thailand-US partnership as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"The intention of this trip was for the two nations to reaffirm their long standing relationship, according to the National News Bureau of Thailand."

Politicians and their junkets; anyone else surprised that an American politician schedules a trip to warm and sunny SE Asia in November or that the trip doesn't seem to have a specific agenda?

I generally like Americans and admire their desire for casualness; too much of the world demands uptight and rigid behavior in order to virtue-signal. That said, when one meets a foreign Prime Minister (yes, even Prayut), there is a certain amount of decorum that should be observed; trainers and a suit do NOT go together.

C'mon Congressman; at least pretend that you are here for work purposes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

1 minute ago, Shade_Wilder said:

"The intention of this trip was for the two nations to reaffirm their long standing relationship, according to the National News Bureau of Thailand."

Politicians and their junkets; anyone else surprised that an American politician schedules a trip to warm and sunny SE Asia in November or that the trip doesn't seem to have a specific agenda?

I generally like Americans and admire their desire for casualness; too much of the world demands uptight and rigid behavior in order to virtue-signal. That said, when one meets a foreign Prime Minister (yes, even Prayut), there is a certain amount of decorum that should be observed; trainers and a suit do NOT go together.

Maybe they were knock-off trainers given to them as a present by Prayut, I mean nothing is real about this government 😂

6 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Could be worse

IMG_20211109_140318.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

I think the Congressmen had a message along with their agenda. The casual clothes are saying something about the importance of trade between the two. In other words, “We have enough of your tuk-tuks made out of beer cans”. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, gummy said:

Maybe they were knock-off trainers given to them as a present by Prayut, I mean nothing is real about this government 😂

In Japan, Germany and I guess most european countries it would be an insult to meet in army style uniform.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stardust said:

To come in a uniform to meet a member of a democratic country?

Was Prayut meeting in the capacity of Prime Minister or as Army General? Does he know how to differentiate the two roles? An odd choice of clothing in both sides. 

• Like 2

To be fair he is in a business suit, and his footwear isn’t trainers. They are a casual dress shoe (oxymoron alert), and no they are not appropriate. He’s a US Representative from California. Congress is out of session which  means he isn’t trying to get out of bad weather. If anything it’s arguably better at home than in Thailand. He is on the Asian and Pacific sub committee so at least he has a cover for the trip. That said no doubt it’s a vacation on the taxpayers dime.