News Forum - Malaysia and Singapore confirm travel bubble for vaccinated travellers

Thaiger

From November 29, vaccinated passengers can fly between Kuala Lumpur International Airport and Singapore’s Changi Airport, without having to quarantine. Bloomberg confirms that both countries have agreed a travel bubble arrangement for what is one of the world’s busiest air corridors. It’s understood the agreement could also be extended to land crossings in the near future. Vaccinated travellers will not be subject to home isolation or quarantine, but will still need to submit negative Covid-19 tests, according to a joint statement from both leaders yesterday. Singaporean PM Lee Hsien Loong hopes the move will help revive the economies of both […]

The story Malaysia and Singapore confirm travel bubble for vaccinated travellers as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I wish Thailand would work on a “travel bubble” with anyone, but anytime they extend a hand, they also seem to cut off their own foot. Sad 😕

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

37 minutes ago, ThaiEyes said:

I wish Thailand would work on a “travel bubble” with anyone, but anytime they extend a hand, they also seem to cut off their own foot. Sad 😕

Bubble will burst, Thailand officials are more interested in $$$

• Like 1

The whole concept of a travel bubble is last years thinking. It was devised before vaccines to allow low risk countries, like Australia and Singapore (at that time), to travel unvaccinated between them. But with the wider spread use of vaccines and travel only permitted for vaccinated travellers, it really shouldn't matter which country you come from as long the basic things have been done ie Fully vaccinated, Negative PCR test 72 hours prior to departure and Health Cover.   

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

10 hours ago, Jason said:

The whole concept of a travel bubble is last years thinking. It was devised before vaccines to allow low risk countries, like Australia and Singapore (at that time), to travel unvaccinated between them. But with the wider spread use of vaccines and travel only permitted for vaccinated travellers, it really shouldn't matter which country you come from as long the basic things have been done ie Fully vaccinated, Negative PCR test 72 hours prior to departure and Health Cover.   

Serious question, what is the difference between a "fully vaccinated person" submitting a negative covid test and a unvaccinated person submitting the same test?  

• Like 1

The fully vaccinated tourist is highly unlikely to get serious illness or die. The unvaccinated tourist is several times more likely to contract Covid, become seriously ill and die. In my own country, the stats show 16 times more likely...but that is in my country. It would vary depending on the percentage of the population infected, which strain and the concentrations of infection in particular areas. 

• Like 1

It would also depend on the vaccination rates, single and double dose. Personally, I've been of the belief that if 80% of the population over say 12 are vaccinated, we can afford to have 20% who choose not to. Although countries around the world, are turning it into a them versus us, which only breeds resentment.. 

• Like 3

On 11/9/2021 at 11:44 PM, MrNovax said:

Serious question, what is the difference between a "fully vaccinated person" submitting a negative covid test and a unvaccinated person submitting the same test?  

fully vaccinated negative PCR test = straight through on both Singapore and Malaysia

Unvaccinated negative PCR test = 14 days quarantine on sides Singapore and Malaysia (28days)

17 hours ago, HiuMak said:

fully vaccinated negative PCR test = straight through on both Singapore and Malaysia

Unvaccinated negative PCR test = 14 days quarantine on sides Singapore and Malaysia (28days)

I think you mis-understood my question.  Im saying if someone tests negative how is their vaccination status relevant? 

On 11/9/2021 at 8:38 PM, Jason said:

The unvaccinated tourist is several times more likely to contract Covid, become seriously ill and die. In my own country, the stats show 16 times more likely...

can you show a source for this claim?

On 11/9/2021 at 8:43 PM, Jason said:

Although countries around the world, are turning it into a them versus us, which only breeds resentment.

Agree on this, it shouldnt be "us vs them"  if only people and governments would respect peoples choices to assume the risk they feel more comfortable with

The big question about the Sing/Malay bubble is not being answered.  Do people need to submit to a pcr test on arrival, and if they test positive (false or not) they are then subjected to mandatory expensive hospital and quarantine in an approved hotel?  I have searched the net and there is no details on issues such as that which IMO is a critical matter and is a deal breaker.

Thailand claimed quarantine free - but that is a lie. Already this month 35 people (and the people/family they travelled with) are finding out the hard way how a short holiday can become an expensive disaster.  Not one of them had any medical problems or symptoms - in fact not one person who has tested positive in Phuket since July has had any either - to my knowledge.   And that is why it is only vaccinated people - they are far less likely to get Covid (many were false positives I reckon), but even if they do then they are far less likely to get sick and/or infect others. 

On 11/9/2021 at 10:44 PM, MrNovax said:

But  to get some perspective, which is  always  lacking, and where many think covid is a death sentence the resuts for S'pore  are 

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/seriously-ill-covid-19-patients-double-vaccine-pace-setter-singapore-2021-09-13/

In Singapore, the percentage of unvaccinated who became severely ill or died was 5.2% as of Sunday. For the fully vaccinated that percentage was 1%