News Forum - Uproar among Thais on Twitter after social media attacks on Isaan people

Thaiger

I was under the impression that most of the Thais I see on motorbikes are dressed for Antartica to block out harmful UV but also to not darken as much. At least that's how my wife puts it. I prefer her a little dark and since we have the clothing optional pool, no tan lines.

• Like 4
  • Cool 1

10 minutes ago, Faraday said:

My wife is from Isaan & that's where we live. I love her skin colour. I think those bleached out Thais look pasty, almost unwell, as if they're Anaemic.

I agree with that and I’m still puzzled by all the “whitening” products piled up in all the stores. Hell, when I first got over here, it took me a while just to find some sunscreen lotion without that whitener crap in it!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Cool 1

7 minutes ago, Faraday said:

When I saw a Dermatologist at Wattana a few years ago to have a lesion removed from my leg, she said some people IV Vitamin C. She said it makes them ghostly white, & when I commented that it seems extreme, she 'reassurred' me that as Vit C is a naturally occurring substance, it's ok!

FFS, no hope then

11 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Anaemic.  Someone told me that was a very short Irish man?

My dad said:

“I think you have an iron deficiency.”

I said:

“How do you know? You're not a doctor.”

He said: "Your shirt is wrinkled.”

• Haha 7

2 minutes ago, ThaiEyes said:

I agree with that and I’m still puzzled by all the “whitening” products piled up in all the stores. Hell, when I first got over here, it took me a while just to find some sunscreen lotion without that whitener crap in it!

Most of it is the gullibility of the locals believing the marketing crap about how it will make them white.

I'm no expert by any means, but I've read that putting this cream on the skin doesn't whiten it at all?

Over the years I've seen reports of companies being taken to court for selling unapproved and dangerous whitening cream.
Apparently some contain bleach, to 'burn' the skin a lighter colour?

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Independent academic Kittitouch Chaiprasith posted on Facebook to explain how discrimination against Isaan natives is not a new phenomenon, and usually is representative of some political agenda at play.

The last paragraph speaks volumes, Election nasties out already.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

48 minutes ago, Faraday said:

My wife is from Isaan & that's where we live. I love her skin colour. I think those bleached out Thais look pasty, almost unwell, as if they're Anaemic.

Exactly my sentiment, like your wife my Isaan girlfriend has the most beautiful Golden Brown skin colour, Like yourself I do not understand the Thai obsession with skin-whiteners (3 full racks in our local Supermarket) when being blessed with that golden beauty.

This is my Isaan wife. She started out life as a poor farmer. Not anymore!

Given the opportunity, many people can become over-achievers.

Isaan people are very kind and gentle.

f165687992.jpg

23315782_832799400230799_361381710_n.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Faraday said:

Telling words, @Faraday! I'm another lucky feller to have married an Isan woman whose skin is the 'real' Isan colour. Here's why I'm the happy chappie that I am . . .

14313530_tassnewseat.thumb.JPG.bc7e258565f74c7c43038b49498ce934.JPG

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

They can't understand why a lot of ferangs like dark skin. I love it.

That pale white skin that the elite and a lot of those around Bangkok have, by hiding from the sun in their apartments and air-con offices all their lives just makes them jealous I reckon. Well, jealous and bitchy.

The paradox of course, is that E. Asia, tanned skins represent manual labour, while in the west, it represents the wealth of being able to go somewhere hot on holiday.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

3 hours ago, Poolie said:

The idea is that you get dark skin from working outdoors in the sun all the time and are therefore a peasant. Thats the case in China anyway.  Dont know about Bangkok thinking, sorry!

I understand that is why most of the soaps on TH TV have light skinned heroes and dark skinned villains.

• Haha 1

My G/f. while not exactly Issan, is as close as makes no odds.  She is complaining bitterly that her skin has turned darker as a result of walking the dogs.  She actually looks shunning and I love the deeper colour, but she is having none of it and the house is full of those dangerous whitening products so beloved of Thai ladies from the  Northeast and so unnecessary. Long live Issan ladies,  the cream of Thailand (excuse the 'cream' pun) 

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

2 hours ago, Thommo said:

Racism: if it walks like a duck quacks like a duck and looks like a duck then its probably a duck!

I was trying to decide if it was actually racism, and then I remembered that there are those from Isaan who identify as ethnically Lao, so I won't quibble.

• Like 1

And this is another real Issan lady, doing what Thais like, enjoying possibly -12 C, yes it was warm that day, whilst I was freezing my bo$$$$ks  off.  Mind you she did get me warm later 😉

FB_IMG_1453095651640.thumb.jpg.f019a0b32c28455a97a465fa881d24f9.jpg

2 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

I was trying to decide if it was actually racism, and then I remembered that there are those from Isaan who identify as ethnically Lao, so I won't quibble.

Issan was part of Laos until nearly two hundred years ago. Even after Thailand gained it, they weren't bothered about it until the government began their 'Thaification' policy about 1940.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You would with all this preference for white coloured skin by the Thai higher archy and the general population at large,  that they would be much more respectful of European Farangs. 

In short, racism is just racism. I don't think he who must not be named looks pale, or indeed white.

I personally don't care if a person is black, white, yellow with purple dots on them. Nice people are nice people, and arseholes exist everywhere unfortunately. 

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

16 minutes ago, BIGGLES said:

You would with all this preference for white coloured skin by the Thai higher archy and the general population at large,  that they would be much more respectful of European Farangs. 

In short, racism is just racism. I don't think he who must not be named looks pale, or indeed white.

I personally don't care if a person is black, white, yellow with purple dots on them. Nice people are nice people, and arseholes exist everywhere unfortunately. 

Just be careful that the purple dotted ones are not contageous 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, TukTuk said:

Given the opportunity, many people can become over-achievers.

That’s absolutely true. That’s why the way most Thais are treated by their government is totally criminal.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BIGGLES said:

Completely true.

6 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

Issan was part of Laos until nearly two hundred years ago. Even after Thailand gained it, they weren't bothered about it until the government began their 'Thaification' policy about 1940.

Correct and a certain family were responsible for forcibly relocating 10s of 1000s of them from what is now Laos to what is now Northern Issan. Many Laos folk have pale skins, especially from the Northern parts which may explain my wife and her older relatives/ancesters skin colour/complexion. Anyway of no importance as its what's under the skin that matters not what is on top and over all the years I have been here I consider that Issan people are some of the happiest, kindest and honest people I have been lucky enough to meet.

11 hours ago, ThaiEyes said:

Michael Jackson Syndrome

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BIGGLES said:

Thai higher archy and the general population at large,  that they would be much more respectful of European Farangs

'respectful of European Farangs'   Now that's a Thai oxymoron.

• Haha 1