Dont travel to Thailand Now

AussieBob

Yes I believe you are correct. There is too much risk of blowing hard earned cash on hotel quarantines etc. at the moment. Not worth it. Maybe a couple of months down the track. Also these PPS tests are $90 (AUD) each, what a rip. And Thailand pass, too difficult.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I'm not saying Thailand shouldn't want to attract expats

They should.....

But my point is it pales in comparison to the money tourists bring in 

There really is no comparison

Also those neighboring countries aren't even in the same stratosphere in terms of tourists compared to Thailand 

With the exception of Vietnam, which is still only half of what Thailand brings in

So those countries are in more need to attract expats

Where as Thailand is right to focus on their massive tourist arrivals 

They really don't need to attract expats 

Obviously we are talking if no covid existed 

I will try again - maybe you can answer the question this time:

Why do other countries offer great retirement benefits to retirees.   Spain is one of the countries I listed and they earned 70 billion US from tourism in 2019 (more than Thailand) - and yet they offer retirement packages to Expats.  Using your logic Marc - all business activities and industries that earn less than Tourism in Thailand should be cancelled?    

I never said tourism in Thailand is not worth as much as Expats or the other way around. What I said was that Expats spend 'more' across the whole country including all the villages etc., whereas tourist mainly give their money to wealthy hotels and buy cheap chinese imported crap. Sure the numbers are huge, and tourist places like Phuket are totally reliant on tourism, but the point is that Expats spend far more broadly across the whole economy - example: Isan is not a tourist location (yet?).  Expats obviously spend a lot less in total (40 million versus 300K - duh), but what they do spend 'goes around' a lot more than the tourists' money. 

19 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Why do other countries offer great retirement benefits to retirees.   Spain is one of the countries I listed and they earned 70 billion US from tourism in 2019 (more than Thailand) - and yet they offer retirement packages to Expats.  Using your logic Marc - all business activities and industries that earn less than Tourism in Thailand should be cancelled?    

I never said tourism in Thailand is not worth as much as Expats or the other way around. What I said was that Expats spend 'more' across the whole country including all the villages etc., whereas tourist mainly give their money to wealthy hotels and buy cheap chinese imported crap. Sure the numbers are huge, and tourist places like Phuket are totally reliant on tourism, but the point is that Expats spend far more broadly across the whole economy - example: Isan is not a tourist location (yet?).  Expats obviously spend a lot less in total (40 million versus 300K - duh), but what they do spend 'goes around' a lot more than the tourists' money. 

But how much do the ex-pats spend in their villages ?

When I stay in the village, I spend less than 200 Baht per day 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

The expats (farang) 'contribution' to the Thai GDP is miniscule, so much so that if it went and vanished overnight it would be months before it was even missed. When you're talking Malaysian, Singaporean and Chinese expats you might have a prayer but not farangs, despite all their bragging. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Poolie said:

The expats (farang) 'contribution' to the Thai GDP is miniscule, so much so that if it went and vanished overnight it would be months before it was even missed. When you're talking Malaysian, Singaporean and Chinese expats you might have a prayer but not farangs, despite all their bragging. 

"Farang" includes all foreigners and a vast majority are spending between 6m and 16m , an average of say, 11m baht on their homes.  I know of 30 or more with homes valued in excess of 40m baht.

That's in city/suburban areas, and condo's usually are usually much less than 6m baht although many buy 2, one to live in the other for rental investment.

We have 2 new farang neighbours, both Euro's, who each paid 14m and 16m respectively in the past month and my builder friend has 5 projects in Mae Rim all well over 30m under construction.  His clients are usually Hong Kong expats who got out or others with major business interests in the region, Singapore, Malaysia etc.  Chinese buyers are spending up big, 75m baht on recent house buys, French couple 25m apiece for their homes and on it goes.

The number of expats who settle in Isaan villages with less than a 4m baht investment would be miniscule.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

"Farang" includes all foreigners and a vast majority are spending between 6m and 16m , an average of say, 11m baht on their homes.  I know of 30 or more with homes valued in excess of 40m baht.

That's in city/suburban areas, and condo's usually are usually much less than 6m baht although many buy 2, one to live in the other for rental investment.

We have 2 new farang neighbours, both Euro's, who each paid 14m and 16m respectively in the past month and my builder friend has 5 projects in Mae Rim all well over 30m under construction.  His clients are usually Hong Kong expats who got out or others with major business interests in the region, Singapore, Malaysia etc.  Chinese buyers are spending up big, 75m baht on recent house buys, French couple 25m apiece for their homes and on it goes.

The number of expats who settle in Isaan villages with less than a 4m baht investment would be miniscule.

Most of that backs up what I said. 30x40m = 120m baht. Peanuts in the general way of things. And often in different financial years. Despite all the above there isn't enough to make a difference.

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

Most of that backs up what I said. 30x40m = 120m baht. Peanuts in the general way of things. And often in different financial years. Despite all the above there isn't enough to make a difference.

They may spend that much on their home but can never sell it at  cost. I know two falangs selling homes. One settled for 50% and the other hasn't sold. A Thai friend wanted 10m for a great house and property and couldn't sell. He offered it to us for what he owes the bank @ 3.5m, but I don't need another house.

Housing in Thailand is a tricky investment. Luckily we only want a comfortable place to live.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 4:40 AM, Marc26 said:

Actually I don't ever worry about robbery or something like that

But the cartel violence is crazy

An extremely popular high end restaurant in Tulum in one of the best areas on Beach Rd got shot up a week after I was there 

Very well known bars and restaurants in Tulum are closing down because of being targeted for payments

And the cops are extremely corrupt

I got scammed in Cancun at a traffic stop 

And like you, I love Mexico but just too shady now 

Mexico an extremely dangerous failed state like Somalia. Narco Terror State like Columbia, run by Drug Cartels. Gringo No Go Zone. Cuba for that cheap Latin culture seems safe & way better.

But no whites should be settling anywhere in Latin America. Unless tired of living. Completely Unstable / Unsafe/ Unnecessary. Cartels can take over your present safe area in days.

4 hours ago, LoongFred said:
4 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Mexico an extremely dangerous failed state like Somalia. Narco Terror State like Columbia, run by Drug Cartels. Gringo No Go Zone. Cuba for that cheap Latin culture seems safe & way better.

But no whites should be settling anywhere in Latin America. Unless tired of living. Completely Unstable / Unsafe/ Unnecessary. Cartels can take over your present safe area in days.

I loved Cuba but you have to be a very seasoned traveler to appreciate it, it is not for your non-veteran travelers, IMO

3 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I loved Cuba but you have to be a very seasoned traveler to appreciate it, it is not for your non-veteran travelers, IMO

Agreed,  like India,  it’s probably only for highly experienced travelers, although the weekend package from Costa Rica to Old Havana was doable.

7 hours ago, AussieBob said:

I have clients who pay my firm millions of dollars per year

I have clients that pay us 50-100k per year

I still court the clients that pay 50-100k/yr, and we treat them all well but we give the ones who pay millions a lot more attention

And you still are ignoring or not realizing the money that is spread all over Thailand from workers servicing 40mil tourists dwarfs any money spent by expats

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Poolie said:

Poolie - your hatred of Farangs is so obvious. Why are you on a Farang Forum?? Obviously to annoy and pester.  Why dont you go and annoy the 'Pattaya Predators' on another Forum and leave us 'good guys' here alone.  Rob has already answered your pathetic little sh***y anti-farang comment, and I will just add my statement below to that reply. 

IMO you are one of those small nasty little Thai men with a chip on his shoulder the size of Texas, because of his 'inadequacies' when compared to Farangs - both financial and physical.  We in the west call that 'small man syndrome' and there is no cure - they are renown for never playiong with the big boys, but they regularly throw rocks on the field of play and laugh about it. Therefore, my response is to your latest 'rock' is ............. Blocked.  Life is too short to bother with pathetic people like yourself. I truly wish you find a life and enjoy much happiness. Goodbye 😘 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I have clients who pay my firm millions of dollars per year

I have clients that pay us 50-100k per year

I still court the clients that pay 50-100k/yr, and we treat them all well but we give the ones who pay millions a lot more attention

And you still are ignoring or not realizing the money that is spread all over Thailand from workers servicing 40mil tourists dwarfs any money spent by expats

I will take your lack of an answer to the question that you have no answer. Therefore other countries offer potential retirement Expats packages because it benefits their country - even Spain which has more tourism than Thailand, and makes much more money from tourism than Thailand.  It is not about total benefit - it is about average net positive benefit to the country. 

16 hours ago, LoongFred said:

They may spend that much on their home but can never sell it at  cost. I know two falangs selling homes. One settled for 50% and the other hasn't sold. A Thai friend wanted 10m for a great house and property and couldn't sell. He offered it to us for what he owes the bank @ 3.5m, but I don't need another house.

Housing in Thailand is a tricky investment. Luckily we only want a comfortable place to live.

There's no shortage of buyers in CM for anything up to 16m, mainly farangs or Bangkok Thai's.  Over that it's slow and will remain so until the Chinese can return en masse. 

The mega mansions, +/- 30m are built/owned by Hong Kong expats or HK Chinese business ppl, also many Euro industrialists, especially German or Swiss.  Some have set up affiliated companies here for manufacturing (export goods) or simply as a family base - eg: Airline execs/senior pilots.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

I will take your lack of an answer to the question that you have no answer. Therefore other countries offer potential retirement Expats packages because it benefits their country - even Spain which has more tourism than Thailand, and makes much more money from tourism than Thailand.  It is not about total benefit - it is about average net positive benefit to the country. 

19 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Why do other countries offer great retirement benefits to retirees.   Spain is one of the countries I listed and they earned 70 billion US from tourism in 2019 (more than Thailand) - and yet they offer retirement packages to Expats.  

You do keep mentioning about what Spain offers to retirees .

What exactly are Spain offering to retirees to entice them ?

The only benefit about Spain seems to be  that visas are a bit easier to obtain .

Getting an easier visa wouldn't be  deciding factor in peoples choice of where to retire to 

18 hours ago, Poolie said:

30 x 40m = 1200 million, still small beer though.

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

I did answer

I guess it went over your head......

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

I did answer

I guess it went over your head......

That is a troll answer Marc.  I bloke trolls.  Last chance - and this is the 4th time I have asked this question.

Why do other countries offer great retirement benefits to retirees.  Spain, Philippines, Panama were 3 examples that I gave you - there are many more.  Why do they do it?  I know why you think Thailand should not do it - but dont repeat that same stuff again - please answer the question. 

8 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

That is a troll answer Marc.  I bloke trolls.  Last chance - and this is the 4th time I have asked this question.

Why do other countries offer great retirement benefits to retirees.  Spain, Philippines, Panama were 3 examples that I gave you - there are many more.  Why do they do it?  I know why you think Thailand should not do it - but dont repeat that same stuff again - please answer the question. 

What are these benefits that Spain , Philippines and Panama offer ?

Their retirement visas may be slightly easier to obtain, and you can have a lesser income to obtain a retirement  visa , but thats about it , hardly a "great benefit" , just slightly different requirements 

2 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

There's no shortage of buyers in CM for anything up to 16m, mainly farangs or Bangkok Thai's.  Over that it's slow and will remain so until the Chinese can return en masse. 

The mega mansions, +/- 30m are built/owned by Hong Kong expats or HK Chinese business ppl, also many Euro industrialists, especially German or Swiss.  Some have set up affiliated companies here for manufacturing (export goods) or simply as a family base - eg: Airline execs/senior pilots.

And they are exactly the Expat people that Thailand should have a new Immigration Visa offering. One that allows for 'qualified' Expats overseas and in Thailand to apply for 'residency' - not citizenship - but residency - meaning no 90 day reports, no annual extension, no reporting locations, and limited rights to buy property. All Thailand now is multiple forms of a Tourist Visa - short stay to long stay - with various reasons for those stays. 

I look forward to seeing the recently new proposed long term Visas - apparently they will have some residency and some property rights - but the details are unknown.   However, from what I have seen so far, requiring Expats to have at least US $1 million in assets and a minimum of US $80,000 in income over a two-year period is way past reality - that is by far the highest 'bar' in the world I have seen (Singapore is much lower).  The Thailand Govt claims these new Visas will attract $30 billion extra money per year - meaning 30,000 people will take up that package every year.  I think that prediction is right up there with TAT Tourism predictions 😆 - maybe a few hundred - maybe.

17 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Holy shit you can be clueless at times

I answered you, just because you can't understand a pretty simple comparison I made, doesn't mean it's a troll 

Now go back and read what I wrote slowly

Or block me, do you actually think I give a fcuk????

7 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

And they are exactly the Expat people that Thailand should have a new Immigration Visa offering. One that allows for 'qualified' Expats overseas and in Thailand to apply for 'residency' - not citizenship - but residency - meaning no 90 day reports, no annual extension, no reporting locations, and limited rights to buy property. All Thailand now is multiple forms of a Tourist Visa - short stay to long stay - with various reasons for those stays. 

I look forward to seeing the recently new proposed long term Visas - apparently they will have some residency and some property rights - but the details are unknown.   However, from what I have seen so far, requiring Expats to have at least US $1 million in assets and a minimum of US $80,000 in income over a two-year period is way past reality - that is by far the highest 'bar' in the world I have seen (Singapore is much lower).  The Thailand Govt claims these new Visas will attract $30 billion extra money per year - meaning 30,000 people will take up that package every year.  I think that prediction is right up there with TAT Tourism predictions 😆 - maybe a few hundred - maybe.

I just saw this about the proposed Visas - the Thai government hopes to raise revenue for its tourism-dependent economy through this initiative. Within five years, the government expects the scheme to attract over one million wealthy foreigners.  Over 1 million !!   I was wrong - even TAT are not that ridiculous 😂

11 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Holy shit you can be clueless at times

I answered you, just because you can't understand a pretty simple comparison I made, doesn't mean it's a troll 

Now go back and read what I wrote slowly

Or block me, do you actually think I give a fcuk????

Troll - blocked  😘

13 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

I just saw this about the proposed Visas - the Thai government hopes to raise revenue for its tourism-dependent economy through this initiative. Within five years, the government expects the scheme to attract over one million wealthy foreigners.  Over 1 million !!   I was wrong - even TAT are not that ridiculous 😂

The Thai Government makes numerous "proposals" . they seem to have a bright idea weekly and announce new proposals and that's the last you hear about them . 

We haven't yet had a new proposal about a high speed train track to China this year , we usually get that proposal every few months .

A "proposal" is just a Government official thinking aloud and the media publishing it 

Latest Update from CCSA.   From 1 to 6 February, 1081 travellers tested positive.  Dont visit Thailand yet  ............. Wait ............  The Govt is now 'considering' removing the tests on arrival and quarantine because not as many tourists as expected/wanted are arriving or applying ............... Wait.   They will never admit they got it wrong when they cancelled and then restarted Test/Go schame, but they will change it  ....... eventually. 

image.thumb.png.c5b2e0cd3dcd21e7a8c89858a2de1c07.png

Thailand Pass: Thai Officials to Consider Easing Restrictions (Full Video English Summary) - YouTube