Dont travel to Thailand Now

AussieBob

With two RT-PCR tests now required for Test & Go travellers, one of Thailand’s most popular tourist destinations, Phuket, is reporting a higher infection rate for the second test.

Phuket’s chief health officer, Dr Koosak Kookiatkul, says 2% of international tourists tested positive on their first test, but 4% to 5% tested positive on a repeat test.

Wait.  Not yet.

8 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

With two RT-PCR tests now required for Test & Go travellers, one of Thailand’s most popular tourist destinations, Phuket, is reporting a higher infection rate for the second test.

Phuket’s chief health officer, Dr Koosak Kookiatkul, says 2% of international tourists tested positive on their first test, but 4% to 5% tested positive on a repeat test.

Wait.  Not yet.

Give it a rest. 57 posts and not an ounce of 'advice' taken. People will come if they want to, and that can't be changed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, AussieBob said:

The problem right now is that even if you take precautions as you described, the possibility of catching Covid while travelling is exponentially higher than when staying at home:-

I wouldn’t be so sure about this. 

While traveling wear KN95 + Surgical Mask + Face Shield. Don’t eat in the plane. If you need to drink grab your bottle of water and go to the airplanes bathroom to drink there. 

My mom is a nurse and she’s been working in a COVID plant since pretty much the beggining of the pandemic. That means she spends 8 hours during a working day among COVID infected people. Sometimes they cough, they obviously breathe, sometimes even they spit!!… 

Yet she hasn’t caught it yet, and the majority of her work colleagues as well haven’t! 

I am of the opinion that getting infected is something voluntary. If you do everything right within those 2-3 weeks prior to travel it’s impossible you’ll get in infected. 

Then obviously once you’re in Bangkok you let your guard down (like we did, going to restaurants etc) and then an infection can happen, but it really doesn’t matter anymore.

Edited by ctxa

15 hours ago, ctxa said:

While traveling wear KN95 + Surgical Mask + Face Shield. 

If you need to drink grab your bottle of water and go to the airplanes bathroom to drink there. 

58.  Sounds like a great holiday - not.  But probably the only way for your Mum to deal with things for many years now 😆

Rather than risk being quarantined after catching Covid from the millions of people you share air with in places like airports and vehicles and planes (including in the toilet), I think the wise thing to do is to wait until they stop testing fully vaccinated tourists after arrival 😉

• Like 2

On 1/26/2022 at 6:57 PM, AussieBob said:

Insurance Update for those who do decide to travel to Thailand for a short holiday and take the risks.

As many would be aware, 3 days ago the Thai Govt started to 'talk' about asymptomatic insurance coverage for tourists - to cover the costs of being 'quarantined' for 10-14 days (not insured currently), but not requiring hospital treatment (which is insured).  "The Thai government wants to offer more Covid insurance options to foreign tourists whose own insurance does not cover hospital or hotel isolation in cases of asymptomatic infection."

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thailand-news-today-talks-of-insurance-coverage-for-asymptomatic-travelers

I have been doing research a lot longer than that - over the last few weeks. I have sent emails to every Thai company offering the 'required and approved' Covid insurance on the website, asking for coverage for asymptomatic Covid quarantine. I specifically asked for coverage, not just for Hospital treatment for Covid medical problems, but also for the costs of being quarantined or isolated.  It has been over a week (some more), and I have not received one reply from a Thai company - not one. I will not name any Thai company for obvious reasons.  I also send the request to several local Australian travel insurance companies including the one I used last time - one replied - stating they do not offer such coverage overseas (as I expected).

Full coverage insurance for all contingencies at the link above. The Thai based inquiry I made does not cover hotel/lodging/accommodation costs for Covid19 quarantine/isolation requirements. The American one above does.

Edited by Freeduhdumb
link added

14 minutes ago, Freeduhdumb said:

Full coverage insurance for all contingencies at the link above. The Thai based inquiry I made does not cover hotel/lodging/accommodation costs for Covid19 quarantine/isolation requirements. The American one above does.

Thanks but the Aussie company I mentioned, stated that their 'trip delay' insurance does not cover being forced to stay in an expensive hotel because of local health regulations.  The trip delay coverage is meant to cover short-term standard accommodation and associated costs - such as what would happen with regards to a late flight cancellation.  Local in-country health regulations are not considered to be covered under the 'trip delay' terms and conditions.  I would check back with them and specify exactly what you think they will cover and get them to confirm - I would get it in writing before relying on it. 

8 minutes ago, Johnny_Rambo said:

Thanks for sharing this Cabra. I agree with you, the entire World should know what a criminal nation Thailand is, a country that systematically ripps off foreigners. Mainstream media has to report this, too. Nobody should go to Thailand, its just a big SCAM trap.

Thanks for all the advice. Forgive me if I dont heed it. 😉

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Thanks for all the advice. Forgive me if I dont heed it. 😉

Finally we agree on something (again).

On 1/23/2022 at 8:44 AM, AussieBob said:

I too hope that one day a future Thai Govt revisits the rules that were changed by the Junta in 2015/2016 that made Thailand a far less attractive place for retirees, and generally overall how harsh they are towards the 'good' retirees (and married Expats) that they want to stay.  Certainly the bar was set too low in the past, and there was a lot of 'undesirables' that were attracted to Thailand because it was so easy. But they have (as the Junta usually does) completely stuffed it up - now the bar is way too high, and they are imposing ridiculous rules on the good guys - not a very attractive destination anymore for 'good' retirees, when compared to other potential locations.  Hopefully they will realise that post-Covid there will be millions of 'western' retirees looking to live part/all of the rest of their lives overseas and things like 90 day reports, annual extensions, location reporting, fees to leave and re-enter, etc. are a big negative.      

I agree the bar was set very low and people came to retire without adequate resources. They get into trouble when something happens. Requirements should be higher but easier.

Thailand has or is about to introduce a 10 year visa (actually 5+5). 

The one thing Thailand need is to require a basic level of Thai and culture training for all long termers. I don't know how people can get by without anything. I say this because this group seems to misunderstand a lot and complains because they don't understand. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, LoongFred said:

I agree the bar was set very low and people came to retire without adequate resources. They get into trouble when something happens. Requirements should be higher but easier.

The one thing Thailand need is to require a basic level of Thai and culture training for all long termers. I don't know how people can get by without anything. I say this because this group seems to misunderstand a lot and complains because they don't understand. 

I agree Fred - my Thai wife had to have a 'basic understanding' of English before she could apply to migrate to Australia.  But all the other requirements she had to meet, including financial, medical, criminal  etc., I had to meet them all as well - when I applied for a Retirement Visa to Thailand.  Yet the differences between what I got on arrival there, and what my wife got on arrival here, is astronomical.  Basically - my Thai wife had all the rights and privileges of an Australian - but I had none of the rights and privileges of a Thai.  My wife automatically became a permanent resident (and can become a citizen), but I had to re-apply and pay every 12 months to seek 'approval' to stay for the same lack of rights and privileges, and I also had to 'report' every 90 days, etc. 

I will hold my thoughts on the 'new Visas' being talked about, until they are approved and gazetted. Until then it is fruitless speculating - Thailand always changes things so easily/quickly - they have already cut back dramatically on the announced right to buy property in Thailand which was in the proposed Visa (but I note they are still going to charge the same amount for applications). 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LoongFred said:

But they need to offer more easily attainable permanent solutions

All the countries that require language skills and such are only requiring that of people applying to be permanent 

Not temporary residents

10 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

But they need to offer more easily attainable permanent solutions

All the countries that require language skills and such are only requiring that of people applying to be permanent 

Not temporary residents

So true - except IMO they are not 'temporary residents' - IMO they are 'long-stay tourists'. 

If they ever offer 'Resident' status as a Visa option, then and only then should language and culture become a criterion for acceptance of an application.  By Resident, I do not mean as a full Citizen, but more than just a Tourist.

Thailand has the option whereby long-term 'tourists' (those staying on 12 month Visas) can apply after a  qualifying period and other criterion, to become a Thailand Resident.  IMO Thailand should offer that option as part of a new 'immigrant' Visa to those who qualify (set bar high) and who wish to live long-term in Thailand - that is basically what my Thai Wife got when approved - not citizenship, but more than just a tourist.

Thailand basically only has one Visa for people applying from overseas who wish to arrive and stay in Thailand - they basically offer many forms of the same Tourist Visa.  They call some 'non-immigrant' - but they are all basically the same Tourist Visa.   IMO Thailand should offer 'Immigrant' Visas which provide some certainty and 'Resident' rights when accepted for the 'Immigrant' Visa and which applies on their arrival - and which is then formally 'approved' after a period of qualification and 'good behaviour' when living in Thailand (2 years?).  Plus, that could then allow those people who are approved as a Resident, to then apply for Thai Citizenship after being a Resident for another period of qualification and 'good behaviour' (another 2 years?).   IMO a basic understanding of the Thai language and culture should be required for the 'Resident' option (basic speech and understanding) - but for the Citizenship IMO the applicant should be competent in Thai - reading, writing and conversation.

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2022 at 11:34 AM, AussieBob said:

So true - except IMO they are not 'temporary residents' - IMO they are 'long-stay tourists'. 

If they ever offer 'Resident' status as a Visa option, then and only then should language and culture become a criterion for acceptance of an application.  By Resident, I do not mean as a full Citizen, but more than just a Tourist.

Thailand has the option whereby long-term 'tourists' (those staying on 12 month Visas) can apply after a  qualifying period and other criterion, to become a Thailand Resident.  IMO Thailand should offer that option as part of a new 'immigrant' Visa to those who qualify (set bar high) and who wish to live long-term in Thailand - that is basically what my Thai Wife got when approved - not citizenship, but more than just a tourist.

Thailand basically only has one Visa for people applying from overseas who wish to arrive and stay in Thailand - they basically offer many forms of the same Tourist Visa.  They call some 'non-immigrant' - but they are all basically the same Tourist Visa.   IMO Thailand should offer 'Immigrant' Visas which provide some certainty and 'Resident' rights when accepted for the 'Immigrant' Visa and which applies on their arrival - and which is then formally 'approved' after a period of qualification and 'good behaviour' when living in Thailand (2 years?).  Plus, that could then allow those people who are approved as a Resident, to then apply for Thai Citizenship after being a Resident for another period of qualification and 'good behaviour' (another 2 years?).   IMO a basic understanding of the Thai language and culture should be required for the 'Resident' option (basic speech and understanding) - but for the Citizenship IMO the applicant should be competent in Thai - reading, writing and conversation.

You mean a visa tailored purely to your own wants and desires? 😀

12 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Me and AB don't agree on a lot

But he is correct here

It's absurd that a county allows all these people to live in their country in a gray area

It makes zeros sense for Thailand nor the long term visitors they allow to live there 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Poolie said:

One that meets most Expats desires and needs want to live long term in Thailand - like they provide in many other countries like Australia, NZ, Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia - whereby you can apply for it from your own country.

5 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

One that meets most Expats desires and needs want to live long term in Thailand - like they provide in many other countries like Australia, NZ, Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia - whereby you can apply for it from your own country.

Ah, and whats in it for the hosts?

On 2/5/2022 at 10:34 AM, AussieBob said:

I do agree with Bob here, however TiT. I don't expect anything to change - Hell might freeze over sooner then reality based visa's (for people wanting to live retire and what not here, or even work here for long-term).

I mean it's crazy that every year I need to fill in ~ 50 single-sided (can't be double sided either!) pages of paperwork. To "re-apply" for the same thing over and over. I would applaud to a 12.5-25-50Y "visa". I would try and jump on the latter as I do have many more years to spend here - I hope.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Poolie said:

Ah, and whats in it for the hosts?

21st century Immigration Laws for a start.  Thailand becomes a much more attractive destination for those discerning people in wealthier countries who want to move to and live in Thailand for a long time (maybe forever).  Thailand has the best 'product' IMO - but unlike many others have realised - they need to make it easier and more rational for wannabe Expats.  10 years ago Thailand was the number 1 recommended country in SEAsia, and often in the World, for Expats looking to retire overseas. That is no longer the case, and one of the main reasons is the way they 'treat' people who wish to move there, and even worse to those that live there. 

Many examples - here is just 1 of many:-  Why should someone who has lived in Thailand for 10+ years and is married and has children have to report every 90 days and apply (and pay) to stay every 12 months (under rules which keep changing).

Thailand wants 'better' Expats and that is good - but they are completely incompetent at putting together attractive Visas under which those Expats will come - just recently they withdrew the proposed 'right' to buy property under one of their much touted 'Wealthy Expat' Visas.  Thailand needs to completely change their Immigration Laws and also the processes - one of which should be to remove the 'management' of Visa away from the Police Department and put it where it belongs - in the Immigration Department.

On a broader but related note - IMO the single biggest problem with Thailand being unattractive to Tourists and Expats is the way the Police Department manages things. Everything from Immigration problems to Road Safety issues and so many others that impact Tourists and Expats, are all failing to be done well under their watch. 

11 hours ago, Shark said:

I do agree with Bob here, however TiT. I don't expect anything to change - Hell might freeze over sooner then reality based visa's (for people wanting to live retire and what not here, or even work here for long-term).

I mean it's crazy that every year I need to fill in ~ 50 single-sided (can't be double sided either!) pages of paperwork. To "re-apply" for the same thing over and over. I would applaud to a 12.5-25-50Y "visa". I would try and jump on the latter as I do have many more years to spend here - I hope.

I hear you shark and I fear that you are right - so many things are 'wrong' in Thailand, and yet the country and the people are the best.  Before any change happens in any society, there must be a reason, and then a need, and then impetus to change happens.  I reckon post Covid that Thailand will have economic troubles that they can no longer hide behind 'public spending' projects.  Long term Exports ate in trouble, both due to growing local SEAsia competition and the high Baht. Tourism will probably not get back to their 2019 levels for at least 10-15 years - Thailand reputation has been badly damaged.   

Right now, living in Thailand is like living in China - it is a Police/Military State for Expats who are treated like long-term tourists and have the same legal rights and privileges. Other countries in SEAsia and Sth America and Europe are changing (have changed) their Visa packages to make them more attractive for 'good' Expats. Those 3 sources of Thailand's Expats in the past are being attracted elsewhere - because they have done the numbers and know they are a big economic benefit to the country and the people.  Expats bring in much more wealth to a country than any large number of tourists - they are 'permanent' spenders and that money is spent in the 'real' society, not just in the tourist destinations.  Backpackers do the same - we love them in Aust - they spend their money everywhere and they spread it around (some stay and become citizens). 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

I hear you shark and I fear that you are right - so many things are 'wrong' in Thailand, and yet the country and the people are the best. Before any change happens in any society, there must be a reason, and then a need, and then impetus to change happens. I reckon post Covid that Thailand will have economic troubles that they can no longer hide behind 'public spending' projects. Long term Exports ate in trouble, both due to growing local SEAsia competition and the high Baht. Tourism will probably not get back to their 2019 levels for at least 10-15 years - Thailand reputation has been badly damaged.   

Right now, living in Thailand is like living in China - it is a Police/Military State for Expats who are treated like long-term tourists and have the same legal rights and privileges. Other countries in SEAsia and Sth America and Europe are changing (have changed) their Visa packages to make them more attractive for 'good' Expats. Those 3 sources of Thailand's Expats in the past are being attracted elsewhere - because they have done the numbers and know they are a big economic benefit to the country and the people. Expats bring in much more wealth to a country than any large number of tourists - they are 'permanent' spenders and that money is spent in the 'real' society, not just in the tourist destinations. Backpackers do the same - we love them in Aust - they spend their money everywhere and they spread it around (some stay and become citizens). 

That just isn't true

And it wouldn't even be close

Thailand had almost 40mil tourists in 2019

By estimates there is well unded 500k Expats living in Thailand 

Possibly closer to 200k, some say 

But you see just on here some guys are spending 30k/mo

Those low spenders, and I'm not knocking what anyone spends, do make up a good % of Expats 

And sure, an expat building just a small home for say just 2mil baht in Issan, plus what they will spend throughout living there far outspends even a rich tourists

Expats are still pretty inconsequential compared to tourists......

Just by sheer #'s

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

That just isn't true

And it wouldn't even be close

Thailand had almost 40mil tourists in 2019

By estimates there is well unded 500k Expats living in Thailand 

Possibly closer to 200k, some say 

But you see just on here some guys are spending 30k/mo

Those low spenders, and I'm not knocking what anyone spends, do make up a good % of Expats 

And sure, an expat building just a small home for say just 2mil baht in Issan, plus what they will spend throughout living there far outspends even a rich tourists

Expats are still pretty inconsequential compared to tourists......

Just by sheer #'s

If that was true (Expats living in their country are not worth it), then why do so many countries try to attract Expats to retire in their country???  It is a huge industry worldwide - this below is just one of many. 

https://pra.gov.ph/srrv/  SRRV – Philippine Retirement Authority (pra.gov.ph)  

https://www.embassyofpanama.org/retire-in-panama  Retire in Panama — EOP (embassyofpanama.org)

https://myspainvisa.com/retirement-spain/   Return for your Retirement in Spain (myspainvisa.com)

There are the types of countries that are competing with Thailand for the 'better' Expats to retire in their country.  Many other competing countries are revamping and modernising their immigration laws and systems to accommodate the huge pent-up demand post-Covid. But Thailand is making minor cosmetic changes to a system of laws and rules that were designed in the 1960/70s when Thailand was the ONLY country in SEAsia where westerners would even think about retiring overseas.  Sure, people like myself with a Thai wife, family and friends will go nowhere else, but those looking now are not seeing Thailand as they were in 20009.  I am a long time member of an 'Aussie's Abroad' forum and back in 2009 Thailand was top of the list by far - now it is not.  

Plus of course there is the 'working' situation, whereby people who are working or have a business in Thailand, are still treated like being tourists in Thailand - unless they go through a very long and convoluted and expensive process.  The recent proposed long term Visa changes, which in the end gave very little/no more than the Thai Visa Elite Program, were only made because of the changes going on in the world of global workers (and retirees). But Thailand did not do what needs to be done IMO.

Hey - I know it aint easy - but I am 'nagging' that things are not right in Thailand's Immigration Laws and System - and they need to be changed - and I am suggesting  what those changes could be. No I dont have all the answers - but I do know that 'head in sand' rhetoric will never solve the problem - but media exposure will.  Maybe it wont last - but the recent and proposed changes regarding pedestrian crossings in Bangkok ONLY happened because of the media attention. The media in Thailand is reluctant to make noise - but I truly hope their 'success' recently keeps going across all parts of Thailand society.

How many tourists spend money in all those villages and towns all across Thailand where Expats live with their Thai wives and family.  Have a look at the thread about one Expat building a house - have a think about how much follow-on business is being generated by that one activity, and then multiply by many many thousands.  Other countries know this fact - that is why they have attractive immigration programs to attract workers and retirees from wealthier countries to work, live and retire in their country. Tourists and Expats are two separate economic drivers in Thailand - Tourism is/was much larger than the other - but that money does not go as deep or as far around as does the money that Expats who live in Thailand full-time spend. How many tourists actually buy cars or property or food at Makro etc etc etc. 

7 hours ago, AussieBob said:

If that was true (Expats living in their country are not worth it), then why do so many countries try to attract Expats to retire in their country???  It is a huge industry worldwide - this below is just one of many. 

https://pra.gov.ph/srrv/  SRRV – Philippine Retirement Authority (pra.gov.ph)  

https://www.embassyofpanama.org/retire-in-panama  Retire in Panama — EOP (embassyofpanama.org)

https://myspainvisa.com/retirement-spain/   Return for your Retirement in Spain (myspainvisa.com)

There are the types of countries that are competing with Thailand for the 'better' Expats to retire in their country.  Many other competing countries are revamping and modernising their immigration laws and systems to accommodate the huge pent-up demand post-Covid. But Thailand is making minor cosmetic changes to a system of laws and rules that were designed in the 1960/70s when Thailand was the ONLY country in SEAsia where westerners would even think about retiring overseas.  Sure, people like myself with a Thai wife, family and friends will go nowhere else, but those looking now are not seeing Thailand as they were in 20009.  I am a long time member of an 'Aussie's Abroad' forum and back in 2009 Thailand was top of the list by far - now it is not.  

Plus of course there is the 'working' situation, whereby people who are working or have a business in Thailand, are still treated like being tourists in Thailand - unless they go through a very long and convoluted and expensive process.  The recent proposed long term Visa changes, which in the end gave very little/no more than the Thai Visa Elite Program, were only made because of the changes going on in the world of global workers (and retirees). But Thailand did not do what needs to be done IMO.

Hey - I know it aint easy - but I am 'nagging' that things are not right in Thailand's Immigration Laws and System - and they need to be changed - and I am suggesting  what those changes could be. No I dont have all the answers - but I do know that 'head in sand' rhetoric will never solve the problem - but media exposure will.  Maybe it wont last - but the recent and proposed changes regarding pedestrian crossings in Bangkok ONLY happened because of the media attention. The media in Thailand is reluctant to make noise - but I truly hope their 'success' recently keeps going across all parts of Thailand society.

How many tourists spend money in all those villages and towns all across Thailand where Expats live with their Thai wives and family.  Have a look at the thread about one Expat building a house - have a think about how much follow-on business is being generated by that one activity, and then multiply by many many thousands.  Other countries know this fact - that is why they have attractive immigration programs to attract workers and retirees from wealthier countries to work, live and retire in their country. Tourists and Expats are two separate economic drivers in Thailand - Tourism is/was much larger than the other - but that money does not go as deep or as far around as does the money that Expats who live in Thailand full-time spend. How many tourists actually buy cars or property or food at Makro etc etc etc. 

But it is true, by sheer #'s

I've acknowledged that expats add to the economy

But I think you and others VASTLY overestimate how much, in the grand scheme of things and the entire economy, compared to 40mil tourists

200k-300k expats is not a lot of people.................

You talk about someone building a house in the village, which is all true

They absolutely contribute to local Thai economies

But I think you are ignoring or not realizing how many Thais all over Thailand in many villages are bringing in the same type of money earned in the tourist industry and building houses and spending money, as well

It dwarfs the 200-300k expats

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

But it is true, by sheer #'s

I've acknowledged that expats add to the economy

But I think you and others VASTLY overestimate how much, in the grand scheme of things and the entire economy, compared to 40mil tourists

200k-300k expats is not a lot of people.................

You talk about someone building a house in the village, which is all true

They absolutely contribute to local Thai economies

But I think you are ignoring or not realizing how many Thais all over Thailand in many villages are bringing in the same type of money earned in the tourist industry and building houses and spending money, as well

It dwarfs the 200-300k expats

So why do other countries offer great retirement benefits to retirees - because they are nice aint the answer. 

The answer to my question is NO.  Tourists dont buy the big items - they buy cheap chinese made crap and five money to wealthy hotel owners.  

Hey - lets stop selling product XYZ in Thailand - it is only worth ABC - but we get so much more from Tourists - according to TAT.  Lets stop all other business - tourism is worth so much more. 

Want Expats business and money - yes or no.  If Yes, then match the other countries packages and rights etc.  If No, then keeping doing what you are doing. 

41 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

So why do other countries offer great retirement benefits to retirees - because they are nice aint the answer. 

The answer to my question is NO.  Tourists dont buy the big items - they buy cheap chinese made crap and five money to wealthy hotel owners.  

Hey - lets stop selling product XYZ in Thailand - it is only worth ABC - but we get so much more from Tourists - according to TAT.  Lets stop all other business - tourism is worth so much more. 

Want Expats business and money - yes or no.  If Yes, then match the other countries packages and rights etc.  If No, then keeping doing what you are doing. 

I'm not saying Thailand shouldn't want to attract expats

They should.....

But my point is it pales in comparison to the money tourists bring in 

There really is no comparison

Also those neighboring countries aren't even in the same stratosphere in terms of tourists compared to Thailand 

With the exception of Vietnam, which is still only half of what Thailand brings in

So those countries are in more need to attract expats

Where as Thailand is right to focus on their massive tourist arrivals 

They really don't need to attract expats 

Obviously we are talking if no covid existed