Dont travel to Thailand Now

AussieBob

14 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Insurance Update for those who do decide to travel to Thailand for a short holiday and take the risks.

As many would be aware, 3 days ago the Thai Govt started to 'talk' about asymptomatic insurance coverage for tourists - to cover the costs of being 'quarantined' for 10-14 days (not insured currently), but not requiring hospital treatment (which is insured).  "The Thai government wants to offer more Covid insurance options to foreign tourists whose own insurance does not cover hospital or hotel isolation in cases of asymptomatic infection."

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thailand-news-today-talks-of-insurance-coverage-for-asymptomatic-travelers

I have been doing research a lot longer than that - over the last few weeks. I have sent emails to every Thai company offering the 'required and approved' Covid insurance on the website, asking for coverage for asymptomatic Covid quarantine. I specifically asked for coverage, not just for Hospital treatment for Covid medical problems, but also for the costs of being quarantined or isolated.  It has been over a week (some more), and I have not received one reply from a Thai company - not one. I will not name any Thai company for obvious reasons.  I also send the request to several local Australian travel insurance companies including the one I used last time - one replied - stating they do not offer such coverage overseas (as I expected).

What question did you pose to the overseas insurance?

Most travel insurances cover Trip Interruption/delay 

And that is what this would possibly fall under 

My Aussie friend was isolated in Phuket and his Aussie insurance covered it under that category 

However you would have to demand documentation stating that you are being required to remain there 

Although mine only covers 2k for meals and accommodation 

So 52k baht

Which if in a nicer hotel, it could go over that .....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marc26 said:

What question did you pose to the overseas insurance?

Most travel insurances cover Trip Interruption/delay 

And that is what this would possibly fall under 

My Aussie friend was isolated in Phuket and his Aussie insurance covered it under that category 

However you would have to demand documentation stating that you are being required to remain there 

Although mine only covers 2k for meals and accommodation 

So 52k baht

Which if in a nicer hotel, it could go over that .....

The exact questions were:  "I am looking for a policy to travel to Thailand that provides coverage for asymptomatic expenses. I know the standard policy covers medical expenses when sick with Covid and admitted to a Hospital. But I am after insurance that includes coverage for being quarantined after testing positive, but not being sick (asymptomatic). By that I mean coverage for being quarantined in a ‘hospitel’ or in an SHA+ Hotel after testing positive either on day 1 or on day 5/6."

The reason the Thai Govt is talking about it, is because it has become a media issue - people are finding out the hard way that their approved 'Covid Insurance' policy they organised through the 'Thailand Pass' web site does not cover as much as they thought or hoped it would. 

• Thanks 1

I noticed today that the biggest 'exporter' of covid to Thailand was Russia. My advice would therefore be avoid Russia. And people who tell you not to come to Thailand all the time. No names no pack drill.

Enjoy your holidays. 😁

5 hours ago, Poolie said:

I noticed today that the biggest 'exporter' of covid to Thailand was Russia. My advice would therefore be avoid Russia. And people who tell you not to come to Thailand all the time. No names no pack drill.

Enjoy your holidays. 😁

Rock solid logic there Khun Poolie.

Thanks! 

5 hours ago, Poolie said:

Enjoy your holidays. 😁

If you think that anyone is going to escape omicron by avoiding anything anywhere, or anyone, then you have lost the plot.  Everyone will be exposed.  Russia certainly has no monopoly on spreading covid.  That is just ridiculous.

Edited by samiam123
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, samiam123 said:

If you think that anyone is going to escape omicron by avoiding anything anywhere, or anyone, then you have lost the plot.  Everyone will be exposed.  Russia certainly has no monopoly on spreading covid.  That is just ridiculous.

Hey don't blame me, blame the local press, they wrote it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, samiam123 said:

My wife and I freaked out when Omicron hit NYC and Boston when we were there in December 

We were looking to change our flight back to Canada and miss Xmas

We ended up staying 

And now resigned to the fact we may get it at some point 

Now my wife is coming on a biz trip to Florida with me in a few weeks

If we get it, we get it

Does help my extended stay would be on company dime though   😀

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AussieBob said:

The exact questions were:  "I am looking for a policy to travel to Thailand that provides coverage for asymptomatic expenses. I know the standard policy covers medical expenses when sick with Covid and admitted to a Hospital. But I am after insurance that includes coverage for being quarantined after testing positive, but not being sick (asymptomatic). By that I mean coverage for being quarantined in a ‘hospitel’ or in an SHA+ Hotel after testing positive either on day 1 or on day 5/6."

The reason the Thai Govt is talking about it, is because it has become a media issue - people are finding out the hard way that their approved 'Covid Insurance' policy they organised through the 'Thailand Pass' web site does not cover as much as they thought or hoped it would. 

I understand that 

My point is the possible way a personal insurance would cover it is under Trip Protection/Delay

But you'd have to fight with the Thais to get the proper documentation 

Although my friend in Phuket said his hotel was fantastic in dealing with everything for him

But he booked a nice hotel for that exact reason

I doubt a small hotel would help much

• Like 3

Latest update on travelers testing positive.  As at 27 January, 6194 tested positive.  That means 581 have tested positive in the 3 days since my last report on 24 Jan - 193 per day.    Dont. ............ Wait.  

image.thumb.png.d22a749554bf09d5d1125e3a70c70ddf.png

On 1/27/2022 at 10:57 PM, Marc26 said:

I understand that 

My point is the possible way a personal insurance would cover it is under Trip Protection/Delay

But you'd have to fight with the Thais to get the proper documentation 

Although my friend in Phuket said his hotel was fantastic in dealing with everything for him

But he booked a nice hotel for that exact reason

I doubt a small hotel would help much

So let me get this straight. You need to book a quality hotel to wait out your quarantine in case you get exposed or positive for covid. In that case wouldn't it be better to stay home? Vacations should be for exploring and seeing new sites. Sure a hotel with nice rooms is important but not to get locked into.

• Like 2

Look at it this way if your from Europe and going for a 4 week holiday to Thailand you will pay a hefty air ticket, you will fly for over 13 hours. On arrival you are PCR tested to told to go to a designated hotel to quarantine for 1 day, you may have booked and paid for your 4 weeks hotel already. After the 1st day you can travel onto your pre paid hotel as long as its in the Sandbox then day 5 you have to do a further PCR test and unluckily you have been infected by a local. You will be shipped off to a hospital/hotel paying 5 times your original hotel for 2 weeks. Most of your holiday money will be gone in hotel accommodation and if your lucky your 4 week yearly holiday leave will only be 2 weeks. Who would want to go through this. 

• Like 1

What if you're in the vast majority who DONT get infected?

If you dont wish to come, dont come, fair enough, your prerogative.

But, i dont understand why you have to point out the pitfalls when 1 out of 10 might fall for them. If that.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, vlad said:

Look at it this way if your from Europe and going for a 4 week holiday to Thailand you will pay a hefty air ticket, you will fly for over 13 hours. On arrival you are PCR tested to told to go to a designated hotel to quarantine for 1 day, you may have booked and paid for your 4 weeks hotel already. After the 1st day you can travel onto your pre paid hotel as long as its in the Sandbox then day 5 you have to do a further PCR test and unluckily you have been infected by a local. You will be shipped off to a hospital/hotel paying 5 times your original hotel for 2 weeks. Most of your holiday money will be gone in hotel accommodation and if your lucky your 4 week yearly holiday leave will only be 2 weeks. Who would want to go through 

8 hours ago, LoongFred said:

So let me get this straight. You need to book a quality hotel to wait out your quarantine in case you get exposed or positive for covid. In that case wouldn't it be better to stay home? Vacations should be for exploring and seeing new sites. Sure a hotel with nice rooms is important but not to get locked into.

In my friend's case

He went for about 5 weeks and prepared himself to possibly be isolated

So he planned to work if got isolated and that's what he did

He was happy with his decision 

He got 3 weeks holiday 

Isolated 

Then took another 5 days after 

He is in Australia and not had a holiday for 2 years

He felt it was very much worth it, for him

In my case, I haven't seen my stepson in 2 years 

I plan on going for 5-6 weeks.

If I get isolated, I will work a bit as well

I currently have bronchitis and have worked from home the last 3 weeks

Only going out to walk my dog

Wouldn't be any different than I am currently doing now 

Work and the world has changed a lot in 2 years 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vlad said:

Look at it this way if your from Europe and going for a 4 week holiday to Thailand you will pay a hefty air ticket, you will fly for over 13 hours. On arrival you are PCR tested to told to go to a designated hotel to quarantine for 1 day, you may have booked and paid for your 4 weeks hotel already. After the 1st day you can travel onto your pre paid hotel as long as its in the Sandbox then day 5 you have to do a further PCR test and unluckily you have been infected by a local. You will be shipped off to a hospital/hotel paying 5 times your original hotel for 2 weeks. Most of your holiday money will be gone in hotel accommodation and if your lucky your 4 week yearly holiday leave will only be 2 weeks. Who would want to go through this. 

Where are you getting 5x your original hotel price?

John on this forum is isolated now and although he said it's in a less nice wing of the hotel, he's not paying any more

My friend I mentioned paid the same price as his normal rate with the added costs of food 

7 hours ago, Poolie said:

What if you're in the vast majority who DONT get infected?

If you dont wish to come, dont come, fair enough, your prerogative.

But, i dont understand why you have to point out the pitfalls when 1 out of 10 might fall for them. If that.

Exactly 

It's not that hard

You either are ok with the restrictions or you aren't.

It's just a holiday destination for some

So you decide if it's worth it

People getting tied up in knots over a yes or no decision 

• Like 2

Latest update on travellers testing positive. As at 30 January, 6802 tested positive.  That means 608 people have tested positive in the 3 days since my last report on 27 Jan, which means over 200 per day.  It also means that an average of 4.2% arrivals have tested positive in the last 3 days.

Dont travel to Thailand now for a short holiday ............. Omicron is rampant and there will be more and more testing positive .................... wait if you can. 1094972141_6802positivetests.thumb.jpg.0d250840e4b83993538703b1cbe7fd34.jpg

PS - the more people that wait - the more that do not travel now - the quicker that Thailand will adopt the policy of The Philippines and others, and drop testing tourists after their arrival. Keep listening to the Thailand media outlets like Thaiger - when the 'story' becomes XYZ (politician or Government spokesperson) states that the Government is stopping the testing of people after they arrive, then start to follow closely.  If there is not a massive public backlash because of the Govts previous fear-mongering blaming foreigners for Covid, then the Government will move ahead and make the change.  That will be the time to visit Thailand - with a negative test prior to departure, a certificate of vaccination, and medical insurance, and no testing arrival. 

• Like 1

As long as positive cases stay high there is no incentive to change. BTW when a 3 day incubation time is mentioned it's not hard and fast. It's like an average time and could very with conditions. That's why the second test at 5 days is also important to catch the cases that escaped the original screening. 

Good luck coming but waiting for better conditions is smart. Once therapeutic are easily available, we should see improvements. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

As long as positive cases stay high there is no incentive to change. BTW when a 3 day incubation time is mentioned it's not hard and fast. It's like an average time and could very with conditions. That's why the second test at 5 days is also important to catch the cases that escaped the original screening. 

Good luck coming but waiting for better conditions is smart. Once therapeutic are easily available, we should see improvements. 

I hear you mate - what you said makes sense.  Hopefully there is not a surge after the Chinese New Year period, and if the slowdown continues, then they will hopefully reconsider things.  The facts are that 6802 travellers testing positive in the month of January, while in that same period 224,529 people tested positive in Thailand. Additionally, every single incoming traveller was tested and those positive were isolated, but every single local Thai (or Myanmar, or Laos, or Cambodia, or Malaysian) was not tested - and not all those testing positive were isolated - in fact the anecdotal story is that many 'locals' testing positive via RAT/ATK are keeping quiet about it. 

Clearly the logic shows that incoming travellers are far far more likely to catch Covid from the people in Thailand - not the other way around.  Thailand should let vaccinated and negative (at home) and insured travellers into Thailand and stop isolating them after arrival - travellers are not a serious threat and the numbers clearly show that. Omicron has arrived already and that is not reversible - the horse has bolted and locking travellers in 'the barn' is a waste of their time and their money. By all means carry on with social isolation rules and mask wearing mandates - but stop testing travellers after they arrive. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 10:37 PM, Danbrooks2k said:

I just returned from 3 weeks in Thailand on January 17th. I am beyond thrilled that I finally got to visit and have a great time....

BUT I WOULD NOT DO IT AGAIN!!!! unless I am desperate in another 2 years.

After I booked my flight, insurance, SHA+ I found out that the Thailand Pass/test and go was suspended on Dec 22nd... I almost had a stroke until I realized I could still travel... but would anyone be the least bit surprised if the Thai government just cancelled a currently running entry scheme with zero notice or zero window to allow those who were already approved to travel?

Then on arrival I found out that I had to take a second test... and finding where to take it wasn't as easy at just looking at a list... plenty of hospitals on that list turned away farangs unless they were symptomatic and they could put you in an expensive hospital room.

Now they are requiring a second day at an SHA+ hotel and a second PCR test.

Sorry, there are just too many little details that are changing day by day... if just one goes wrong, has an error or wasn't in your plan you can ruin an entire holiday over a technicality. 

If you sit in the same row as someone that tests positive for covid you will pay the full price of a quarantine hotel and be at the mercy of your captors to feed you 3 times a day and hope its food that you can stomach. I rolled the dice and made it through a trip after 2 years away from my favorite place on earth...

Mexico, Columbia, Costa Rica... lots of cheaper options much closer to home and less requirements. I love Thailand, but I am never subjecting myself to that much stress again... Just getting a pre flight covid test required a trip to BKK... everything in pattaya was closed on sunday or refused when I stopped in to ask about getting a test the next day.

Anybody saying its just super easy and no risk is being naïve or plain lying to you... lots can go wrong and lots can change after you have already paid for your tickets and hotel... like deal breaker stuff you can afford or are unwilling to endure...

Tread lightly, be careful.... no vacation is worth the bullshit they are putting us through.. I got luckym but I wont tempt fate a second time. 

BYEEEE, till next time

Edited by nobusinessofurs
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 9:04 AM, AussieBob said:

Latest update on travellers testing positive. As at 30 January, 6802 tested positive.  That means 608 people have tested positive in the 3 days since my last report on 27 Jan, which means over 200 per day.  It also means that an average of 4.2% arrivals have tested positive in the last 3 days.

[...]

It's much easier to just be careful. Me and my wife travelled to Spain for Christmas (21st Dec to 10th January) when Omicron was wreaking havoc across Spain. 

1. We didn't eat at any restaurant. 

2. We didn't go to any bar/club/disco, etc,... 

3. We didn't meet anyone else but my very close family (parents, grandparents). 

4. We always wore double mask (KN95 + Surgical). 

5. We didn't stay at hotels. 

We did all these knowing that it was a must that we returned to Thailand and no testing positive. 

My advice is not, don't come to Thailand for a short holiday. My advice is, two to three weeks before coming to Thailand, do your utmost not to get COVID, and that implies mostly all I stated in the points above. 

It is possible not to get COVID if you are careful enough, naturally most people couldn't even be bothered to wear a mask, so that's what's wrong, not Thailand's requirement.

9 hours ago, ctxa said:

It's much easier to just be careful. Me and my wife travelled to Spain for Christmas (21st Dec to 10th January) when Omicron was wreaking havoc across Spain. 

1. We didn't eat at any restaurant. 

2. We didn't go to any bar/club/disco, etc,... 

3. We didn't meet anyone else but my very close family (parents, grandparents). 

4. We always wore double mask (KN95 + Surgical). 

5. We didn't stay at hotels. 

We did all these knowing that it was a must that we returned to Thailand and no testing positive. 

My advice is not, don't come to Thailand for a short holiday. My advice is, two to three weeks before coming to Thailand, do your utmost not to get COVID, and that implies mostly all I stated in the points above. 

It is possible not to get COVID if you are careful enough, naturally most people couldn't even be bothered to wear a mask, so that's what's wrong, not Thailand's requirement.

Very True - precautions at this time are paramount if you do decide to travel internationally.  But eventually we will all get Covid or one of its mutations over the coming decades.  Just about every adult in the world has had some version/mutation of Spanish Flu - we will all also eventually get exposed to Covid.

The problem right now is that even if you take precautions as you described, the possibility of catching Covid while travelling is exponentially higher than when staying at home:- In transit to the airport, In the airport, In the plane/s, In the airport/s, In transit to hotel/accommodation. Plus of course, you could be unlucky enough to sit next to someone who does not take your precautions and tests positive. The risk of tersating positive after arriving is growing and growing - but the good thing is that many people are now aware of that fact. Back in early November many people did not have a clue that Thailand's claim that it was now 'Open and Quarantine Free' was a 'marketing embellishment' (sales lie).

I say wait - until Thailand drops testing after arrival for those who are 'qualified'. Meaning vaccinated (and/or recovered), test negative in home country less than 72 hours before arrival, and fully insured. The Philippines has started it already, and several European countries are starting to do the same. It is coming to Thailand - soon I hope - until then we will wait. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nobusinessofurs said:

BYEEEE, till next time

Are you speaking on behalf of all Thailand or just yourself?  Obviously it is yourself - and I dont think they came to see you. In fact I dont think any tourist in the world goes to Thailand to see you. And IMO, not one tourist in the world gives a rat's rear whether you are happy or not whether they come to Thailand or not 😁 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Are you speaking on behalf of all Thailand or just yourself?  Obviously it is yourself - and I dont think they came to see you. In fact I dont think any tourist in the world goes to Thailand to see you. And IMO, not one tourist in the world gives a rat's rear whether you are happy or not whether they come to Thailand or not 😁 

You sure think alot......you should try to relax more. BYEEEE 

6 hours ago, nobusinessofurs said:

You sure think alot......you should try to relax more. BYEEEE 

You clearly dont think at all mate - enjoy your life - stay safe - take care 😀