Dont travel to Thailand Now

AussieBob

16 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Just saw the numbers from the CCSA briefing today.  Since 1 January 2022 there has been 4,517 people arriving into Thailand who tested positive. I know I dont need to say I told you so - but I do feel the need to keep saying it - 'dont come to Thailand now for a short holiday - wait'. The risks are now eebn higher than before that you will test positive - and that risk is growing and growing every day, because Omicron is rampant worldwide. 

Thailand - by all means mandate Vaccines and negative tests before boarding plan and covid hospital insurance - but do not test us when we arrive and mandate hospital or hospitel or quarantine (which one depending on what Hotel and in what Province).  If we do get covid and are sick, then that is what the insurance is for is it not. Happy to wear a mask just in case, especially indoors, but there are literally over a million asymptomatic Thais walking freely around every day.  If someone decides to visit Thailand for a short holiday now, when you desperately need the economy to recover, then stop quarantining thousands of us on arrival.  Otherwise, if it really is a serious health issue (and it is), then shut to borders to tourists until a certain level of Thais/Expats are vaccinated (80%). 

Well said. Thank you.

"stop quarantining thousands of us on arrival." 

Do you have a source for 'thousands' ? 

It doesn't really matter, the uncertainty around quarantine is enough. 

If we can't know if we'll be quarantined, and what that means, and if it will be insured properly, etc. It's all a gamble.

We need certainty.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vince said:

Well said. Thank you.

"stop quarantining thousands of us on arrival." 

Do you have a source for 'thousands' ? 

It doesn't really matter, the uncertainty around quarantine is enough. 

If we can't know if we'll be quarantined, and what that means, and if it will be insured properly, etc. It's all a gamble.

We need certainty.

image.thumb.png.897af7bea96c658e1497bbae9aa83dc6.pngCCSA Briefing 18th January.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp3FobIiRqY

4515 have tested positive since 1 January. Add to that number all the close contacts/family/friends, and you can see the size of the issue.  Thousands.  But there has been nothing said by media or TAT for a long time. But the other day even Tim spoke up about it when that guy was charged for being over Visa.  Until they stop testing Tourists and detaining them, we will not be travelling to Thailand for a short holiday. They dont test every Thai that goes onto Phuket for work or pleasure - they dont even check for Vaccination Certificate - but somehow if a Tourist has Covid they are a danger to society, but the thousands of Thais that catch and spread Covid every day are no problem? 

IMO dont travel to Thailand now for a short holiday - not work the risk.  Omicron has made that statement even more valid because it is so contagious - - it is now 3.4% now, what happens if it get to 5 or even 10%??

Worldwide positive cases has skyrocketed to over 3 million a day - Omicron is highly contagious.

image.png.88d79f26f8b759054463a51cf12edba3.png

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

28 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

4515 have tested positive since 1 January. Add to that number all the close contacts/family/friends, and you can see the size of the issue.  Thousands.  But there has been nothing said by media or TAT for a long time. But the other day even Tim spoke up about it when that guy was charged for being over Visa.  Until they stop testing Tourists and detaining them, we will not be travelling to Thailand for a short holiday. They dont test every Thai that goes onto Phuket for work or pleasure - they dont even check for Vaccination Certificate - but somehow if a Tourist has Covid they are a danger to society, but the thousands of Thais that catch and spread Covid every day are no problem? 

IMO dont travel to Thailand now for a short holiday - not work the risk.  Omicron has made that statement even more valid because it is so contagious - - it is now 3.4% now, what happens if it get to 5 or even 10%??

Worldwide positive cases has skyrocketed to over 3 million a day - Omicron is highly contagious.

My wife want to visit her grandkids in US.  I tell if she wants to go be prepared to quarantine and jump through the extra hoops. I tell her I'm not interested in a 14+3 hour flight plus lay overs each way for a month trip. She won't go without me so she a little upset. but understanding. It just isn't worth traveling out of Thailand now,or probably this year.

People visiting Thailand face the same hurdles. I don't blame the government and understand they are trying to keep us safe.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

Do we know how many asymptomatic positives go to any kind of hospital and not self isolate in their Sha extra plus hotel?

23 hours ago, Vince said:

Do we know how many asymptomatic positives go to any kind of hospital and not self isolate in their Sha extra plus hotel?

Unfortunately those numbers are not being kept and/or reported.  The reason IMO is that those detailed stats are actually kept by the Provincial Health Authorities, who are the people who actually do everything about Covid as directed by CCSA/Junta.  The Provincial Authorities only report to 'HQ" the information mandated by CCSA/Junta.  We do know through media that some asymptomatic people testing positive on Phuket are now being allowed to stay isolated in their room, ever since the Phuket Governor issued a ruling that allowed that to happen in SHA+ Hotels. I am not aware of any other Provincial Governor following suit. 

• Like 1

Me and my wife will be arriving 13th February under the sandbox program from Australia to phuket for 26 days. We don't care what we need to do to get there just need a holiday. Wear a mask and social distance you should be OK.  I'm going to live my life and not worry about things that might happen. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

57 minutes ago, ChilisHot said:

Me and my wife will be arriving 13th February under the sandbox program from Australia to phuket for 26 days. We don't care what we need to do to get there just need a holiday. Wear a mask and social distance you should be OK.  I'm going to live my life and not worry about things that might happen. 

And you go right ahead and hire those scooters and ride without without helmets (but with a mask on) and just enjoy.  Dont worry about insurance either, or anything else.  I used to be young once - those were the days.  Jokes aside:  I hope neither of you tests positive or has any other troubles and you enjoy the holiday.  If you must do it, as I have said many times, then the Phuket sandbox is the least worst option IMO

We travel to Thailand mainly to see family and friends and that means we travel all over Thailand for 28 days, which is just not feasible or worth the risk under all the current and ever changing testing and quarantining requirements.  If we could do a trip over 60 or 90 days then it would be worth it, but until I/we retire, that is not going to happen.  

Haha not young mid 50s and have thai wife + own house in Thailand.  Don't ride scooter we hire a jeep with international license and travel insurance for 1 month which covers covid and everything only $140 au.  I'm from Melbourne the most locked down city in the world, sick of this place need Thailand. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ChilisHot said:

I agree. The risk of 26 days in wonderful Phuket seems like a good change of scenery.

Being in a crowded western city filled with irritable yanks gets old. Fast. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, ChilisHot said:

Haha not young mid 50s and have thai wife + own house in Thailand.  Don't ride scooter we hire a jeep with international license and travel insurance for 1 month which covers covid and everything only $140 au.  I'm from Melbourne the most locked down city in the world, sick of this place need Thailand. 

I understand.  Hope everything goes well for you both. 

Melbourne has been hit harder than anywhere else with over the top Nanny State impositions. Up here in Qld it has been very easy going and never over the top.  Qld just announced that international arrivals who are vaccinated are free to come and stay without quarantine etc. Masks are mandatory when inside public  places and you must be vaccinated, but that is it. The logic behind that as the Premier said is that 90% of Qld is vaccinated and she said once they did that we said we would open everything back up again - plus the numbers of ICU and Deaths are not extreme (and mainly non-vaccinated but did not say that).  The non-vaccinated are whinging a bit and she said - wanna go to the pub? get vaccinated !!   Lots of people in 'Mexico' are looking to move up here this year, or to regional towns and cities away from the Nanny State progressive nutters running the big cities. 

Make sure the insurance covers asymptomatic and quarantining - most policies 'Meeting the Test&Go Requirements' only cover the costs of hospital treatment for symptomatic (being sick with Covid). 

• Cool 1

11 minutes ago, DesperateOldHand said:

Please. 

If you're not sure.

Just don't come.

That will satisfy many.

This is a forum for the sharing of thoughts and opinions on matters with regards to Thailand. 

Thanks for sharing yours 😀  And I agree with you. 

• Like 1

I had to come to take care of my house. I'm very happy to be in CR now and find things very much as normal apart from the lack of visitors. I totally agree the hassle of getting a visa, extra costs, and the financial/health risks of coming were a worry and a pain but we made it and enjoy our 60 days, normally we would stay longer but the easier 60 day visa seemed the safest option. The same for everyone I speak to (all retirees with Thai family), and for one friend it has gone belly up twice now despite using an agent for the paperwork. Hopefully arriving this month, he started the process in November. 

Not to be taken lightly but still a wonderful place to spend the winter. 

For me the visa system needs a simplification and risk reduction overhaul to attract the retirees back when the situation improves. 

For short term visits or those without property or family here, it will no doubt be easier to come to the land of smiles at another time. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Golfer said:

I had to come to take care of my house. I'm very happy to be in CR now and find things very much as normal apart from the lack of visitors. I totally agree the hassle of getting a visa, extra costs, and the financial/health risks of coming were a worry and a pain but we made it and enjoy our 60 days, normally we would stay longer but the easier 60 day visa seemed the safest option. The same for everyone I speak to (all retirees with Thai family), and for one friend it has gone belly up twice now despite using an agent for the paperwork. Hopefully arriving this month, he started the process in November. 

Not to be taken lightly but still a wonderful place to spend the winter. 

For me the visa system needs a simplification and risk reduction overhaul to attract the retirees back when the situation improves. 

For short term visits or those without property or family here, it will no doubt be easier to come to the land of smiles at another time. 

I too hope that one day a future Thai Govt revisits the rules that were changed by the Junta in 2015/2016 that made Thailand a far less attractive place for retirees, and generally overall how harsh they are towards the 'good' retirees (and married Expats) that they want to stay.  Certainly the bar was set too low in the past, and there was a lot of 'undesirables' that were attracted to Thailand because it was so easy. But they have (as the Junta usually does) completely stuffed it up - now the bar is way too high, and they are imposing ridiculous rules on the good guys - not a very attractive destination anymore for 'good' retirees, when compared to other potential locations.  Hopefully they will realise that post-Covid there will be millions of 'western' retirees looking to live part/all of the rest of their lives overseas and things like 90 day reports, annual extensions, location reporting, fees to leave and re-enter, etc. are a big negative.      

THA has botched most aspects of its covid response (starting with Chinese vaccines), ongoing testing (hospitalizing asymptomatic cases), and herky-jerky reopening (capped off by TnG v2 ). If China's zero-covid strategy is the most repressive, THAs strategy ranks right up there it terms of unreasonableness. Getting into THA and functioning without anxiety is simply not possible. Maximum risk, minimum reward. THAs really not "open-open", and won't be for at least 6 more months (optimistically speaking). Unless you have family here, I just don't see why you would want to come here now. Not to mention the entire airline industry throwing shade on int'l travel.

I just returned from 3 weeks in Thailand on January 17th. I am beyond thrilled that I finally got to visit and have a great time....

BUT I WOULD NOT DO IT AGAIN!!!! unless I am desperate in another 2 years.

After I booked my flight, insurance, SHA+ I found out that the Thailand Pass/test and go was suspended on Dec 22nd... I almost had a stroke until I realized I could still travel... but would anyone be the least bit surprised if the Thai government just cancelled a currently running entry scheme with zero notice or zero window to allow those who were already approved to travel?

Then on arrival I found out that I had to take a second test... and finding where to take it wasn't as easy at just looking at a list... plenty of hospitals on that list turned away farangs unless they were symptomatic and they could put you in an expensive hospital room.

Now they are requiring a second day at an SHA+ hotel and a second PCR test.

Sorry, there are just too many little details that are changing day by day... if just one goes wrong, has an error or wasn't in your plan you can ruin an entire holiday over a technicality. 

If you sit in the same row as someone that tests positive for covid you will pay the full price of a quarantine hotel and be at the mercy of your captors to feed you 3 times a day and hope its food that you can stomach. I rolled the dice and made it through a trip after 2 years away from my favorite place on earth...

Mexico, Columbia, Costa Rica... lots of cheaper options much closer to home and less requirements. I love Thailand, but I am never subjecting myself to that much stress again... Just getting a pre flight covid test required a trip to BKK... everything in pattaya was closed on sunday or refused when I stopped in to ask about getting a test the next day.

Anybody saying its just super easy and no risk is being naïve or plain lying to you... lots can go wrong and lots can change after you have already paid for your tickets and hotel... like deal breaker stuff you can afford or are unwilling to endure...

Tread lightly, be careful.... no vacation is worth the bullshit they are putting us through.. I got luckym but I wont tempt fate a second time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danbrooks2k said:

I just returned from 3 weeks in Thailand on January 17th. I am beyond thrilled that I finally got to visit and have a great time....

After I booked my flight, insurance, SHA+ I found out that the Thailand Pass/test and go was suspended on Dec 22nd... I almost had a stroke until I realized I could still travel... but would anyone be the least bit surprised if the Thai government just cancelled a currently running entry scheme with zero notice or zero window to allow those who were already approved to travel?

Then on arrival I found out that I had to take a second test... and finding where to take it wasn't as easy at just looking at a list... plenty of hospitals on that list turned away farangs unless they were symptomatic and they could put you in an expensive hospital room.

Sorry, there are just too many little details that are changing day by day... if just one goes wrong, has an error or wasn't in your plan you can ruin an entire holiday over a technicality. 

If you sit in the same row as someone that tests positive for covid you will pay the full price of a quarantine hotel and be at the mercy of your captors to feed you 3 times a day and hope its food that you can stomach. I rolled the dice and made it through a trip after 2 years away from my favorite place on earth...

Mexico, Columbia, Costa Rica... lots of cheaper options much closer to home and less requirements. I love Thailand, but I am never subjecting myself to that much stress again... Just getting a pre flight covid test required a trip to BKK... everything in pattaya was closed on sunday or refused when I stopped in to ask about getting a test the next day.

Anybody saying its just super easy and no risk is being naïve or plain lying to you... lots can go wrong and lots can change after you have already paid for your tickets and hotel... like deal breaker stuff you can afford or are unwilling to endure...

Tread lightly, be careful.... no vacation is worth the bullshit they are putting us through.. I got luckym but I wont tempt fate a second time. 

Thanks for the info and personal experience 

Will give people info to make their decisions 

15 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Thanks for the info and personal experience 

Will give people info to make their decisions 

Yeah, i mean its not an impossible hurdle... I just wont be doing it again until they ease restrictions or until another 2 years pass and I am too desperate to care.

I wouldn't suggest Thailand for a first timer right now... but you know what they say about opinions...

5 hours ago, Danbrooks2k said:

Yeah, i mean its not an impossible hurdle... I just wont be doing it again until they ease restrictions or until another 2 years pass and I am too desperate to care.

I wouldn't suggest Thailand for a first timer right now... but you know what they say about opinions...

We went to Mexico this summer and I was a bit paranoid worrying about testing positive on our return test

And sort of ruined 3 days

If I were solo, I wouldn't care

But I know my wife would worry 

On 1/20/2022 at 4:59 AM, Vince said:

Shhhh....they don't count. Common recovery, mild illness and asymptomatic condition don't exist - weren't you aware of this?

On 1/23/2022 at 10:37 PM, Danbrooks2k said:

I know others that report not a big hassle.  Seems some people can and others can't.  My friend and his wife are here now and luckily got in on TnG. 

Then again some people have problems ordering a Big Mac at the burger joint.

23 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I know others that report not a big hassle.  Seems some people can and others can't.  My friend and his wife are here now and luckily got in on TnG. 

Then again some people have problems ordering a Big Mac at the burger joint.

I think it all boils down to how much time you have 

I may do 5 weeks and may also see if I can work part of that from Thailand

So in either case, if I got quarantined at any point I could just work, no big deal

So it takes away the stress of testing positive 

If you have the time, you can handle the quarantine

• Like 2

On 1/23/2022 at 7:37 AM, Danbrooks2k said:

Exactly what I would expect. I don't think a reasonable short stay tourist would want to gamble on unpredictable outcomes like this. 

But things are improving, and the next few months should be better assuming no COVID surprises. 

• Like 1

Latest update from CCSA on 25th January.  5613 travellers have tested positive (3.5%) from 1-24 January - that equates to 234 per day.  But if you add the 'close contacts' who sat either side of that person, and those who were in the same van on the way to the Hotel, that equates to about 10,000 people being quarantined (in one form or another) in the period 1 to 24 January - or about 416 people per day.  

Dont travel to Thailand Now - for a short holiday.  Nothing has really changed since this thread started in early November - the risks were and are too high - and the risk is getting higher and higher. 

820119049_5613positivetests.thumb.jpg.cdc9f06ce89a0f057bd31caf9fff36ca.jpg

• Like 1

Insurance Update for those who do decide to travel to Thailand for a short holiday and take the risks.

As many would be aware, 3 days ago the Thai Govt started to 'talk' about asymptomatic insurance coverage for tourists - to cover the costs of being 'quarantined' for 10-14 days (not insured currently), but not requiring hospital treatment (which is insured).  "The Thai government wants to offer more Covid insurance options to foreign tourists whose own insurance does not cover hospital or hotel isolation in cases of asymptomatic infection."

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thailand-news-today-talks-of-insurance-coverage-for-asymptomatic-travelers

I have been doing research a lot longer than that - over the last few weeks. I have sent emails to every Thai company offering the 'required and approved' Covid insurance on the website, asking for coverage for asymptomatic Covid quarantine. I specifically asked for coverage, not just for Hospital treatment for Covid medical problems, but also for the costs of being quarantined or isolated.  It has been over a week (some more), and I have not received one reply from a Thai company - not one. I will not name any Thai company for obvious reasons.  I also send the request to several local Australian travel insurance companies including the one I used last time - one replied - stating they do not offer such coverage overseas (as I expected).

• Like 1