Dont travel to Thailand Now

AussieBob

On 12/26/2021 at 10:27 AM, NoshowJones said:

What would happen if a tourist arrives in Thailand, is then found positive, has only his daily spending allowance on him, has a credit or debit card from his own country, then refuses to pay many thousands of Baht to the hospital for his "treatment".

Does he get sent to jail or what? Anyone knows that no one can get money from someone if they don't have it.

Under the Communicable Diseases Act 2015, the penalty for failing to comply with the order of a communicable disease officer is imprisonment and/or a fine. Up to 2 years jail and a maximum 500k.

The reality is that you must have insurance, but many insurance companies won't pay directly or coverage is not what you think it is. The government has already acknowledged that many of the insurance policies are not fit for purpose.

I know people that have tested positive on the way out of Thailand and been detained for quarantine. Now with the rise of rapid tests to seemingly do anything, each time you run the gauntlet.

Anyone coming to Thailand right now should think about the choice they are about to make and be informed of the risks, because they are real.

Unfortunately, all I see from some media outlets is "never a better time to come" and the dying travel industry is blowing hot air.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2022 at 3:02 AM, Marc26 said:

There are so many places in Bali that aren't like that, all you have to do is go over to Seminyak and there is none of the drunks and such 

We loved Seminyak

I don't really understand your point on Thailand not being welcoming, I don't think anything has changed much since the 18 years I've been coming.

But I guess that is a personal opinion.

As for other places to live in the region:

My vote would be Luang Prabang in Laos and Siem Reap in Cambodia  as alternatives to Thailand 

The only issue with both of those places is the level, or lack of, medical facilities 

Good points.  Medical facilities being a critical factor in any place an older person lives - ignoring that reality will bite people later.

I mean by 'not welcoming' I dont mean the people. I mean the Junta/Govt and all the impositions and hurdles they have put infront of Expats wanting to retire to Thailand. They idiotically decided to treat all Expats as Sexpats (Good Guys In - Bad Guys Out). They got rid of a few bad ones, but they got rid of a lot more good ones.  When you compare what is on 'offer' to entice Expats to live in other countries in SEAsia (and in many EU countries) with what Thailand is demanding - it is not very welcoming to Expats.

On 1/3/2022 at 11:30 AM, Mamachigawa said:

It does not make sense to travel to Thailand unless good compelling reason for a vacation when there are many other places with little or no hassle. And what will be the situation in a week?

I actually know a guy  who is in a hotel quarantine because he tested positive on arrival for test and go. No symptoms whatsoever. But he is retired, he does not have a family with him, and he can afford it. These problems are happening to a small minority of people so I consider this post scaremongering, It is like saying do not travel to Thailand, you might get struck by lightning.  Just know the risks 

TAT dont tell people the risks - that is the point.  They have been criticised for it - months later they still dont tell naive tourists the problem exists.  So far, with the Omicron version, about 1% are being tested positive or close contacts. In a plane of 300 people that means 3 people will be locked up for 10-14 days - for a few weeks holiday that is too high a risk IMO. Insurance covers those testing positive, but it does not cover those isolated/quarantined in hotel because a close contact. A second PCR test should be immediately done - to ensure no false positive. And so many other things wrong in the system they have set up.  And who knows what they will change today.

This sums them up - try to listen all the way through:

Irrational to presently leave your country purely for a typical 14 day long haul tourist vacation. Would need to choose to override Reason and accept the difficulty, risk, cost, low pleasure, like perhaps 5% do …….

Rational reasons to leave your country presently, ideally for worthwhile long stay, would include Family, Health, Business, Education, Isolation, Finance, Environment, Climate, Sport. All of which could of course be Combined with Vacation

• Like 1

Stop worrying re. laws/govt/corruption. 

Normal sensible behaviour sufficient. 

Get Relaxed, Fit, Healthy & Strong. 

Hold sufficient foreign health/vehicle insurance via skilled honest Broker.

use agents to minimize direct govt bs.

rent nice house or buy cheap freehold condo, if not liking property laws or dead capital.

buy used vehicles to avoid high tax.

avoid cities, deep forest, business investment & low grade people.

use WISE to bring money in.

then focus on the real substantial positives here…..safe, cheap, warm, sunny,healthy, friendly, relaxing, women, beach, hills, forests, food, culture, tropical paradise, good diet / exercise, weight loss, low pollution.

Stop ALL Toxic Body Intake. 

Here endeth the quick & dirty lessons for extended enjoyable relaxing life in your tropical paradise. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Good points.  Medical facilities being a critical factor in any place an older person lives - ignoring that reality will bite people later.

I mean by 'not welcoming' I dont mean the people. I mean the Junta/Govt and all the impositions and hurdles they have put infront of Expats wanting to retire to Thailand. They idiotically decided to treat all Expats as Sexpats (Good Guys In - Bad Guys Out). They got rid of a few bad ones, but they got rid of a lot more good ones.  When you compare what is on 'offer' to entice Expats to live in other countries in SEAsia (and in many EU countries) with what Thailand is demanding - it is not very welcoming to Expats.

Thailand has always been unwelcoming to expats compared to other Asian countries 

And yes, as most expats are older, good medical facilities are a must

We had a great time in Luang Prabang and met a great girl from Canada living there but she said she had to fly out for anything more than simple procedures 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Thailand has always been unwelcoming to expats compared to other Asian countries 

And yes, as most expats are older, good medical facilities are a must

We had a great time in Luang Prabang and met a great girl from Canada living there but she said she had to fly out for anything more than simple procedures 

One advantage of being an Australian in Thailand - is that it is not too far for anything serious enough to warrant the trip.  That is one reason why Bali is full of retired Aussies.  If I was UK/EU, I would look into the countries a lot closer to 'home' where the medical system is subsidised/free and Govt support is available. 

18 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Stop worrying re. laws/govt/corruption. 

Normal sensible behaviour sufficient. 

Get Relaxed, Fit, Healthy & Strong. 

Hold sufficient foreign health/vehicle insurance via skilled honest Broker.

use agents to minimize direct govt bs.

rent nice house or buy cheap freehold condo, if not liking property laws or dead capital.

buy used vehicles to avoid high tax.

avoid cities, deep forest, business investment & low grade people.

use WISE to bring money in.

then focus on the real substantial positives here…..safe, cheap, warm, sunny,healthy, friendly, relaxing, women, beach, hills, forests, food, culture, tropical paradise, good diet / exercise, weight loss, low pollution.

Stop ALL Toxic Body Intake. 

Here endeth the quick & dirty lessons for extended enjoyable relaxing life in your tropical paradise. 

Great list.  If I may - I gotta add a couple.

At some point when you slow down and have had enough of the girls, you should find an honest reliable Thai lady (without kids) from a good family, and that speaks English - there are heaps of them.  Invite her to live with you in a place that you already rent/own that is in your name. Besides all the obvious benefits, she will help you a lot when dealing with other Thais - especially those in government and business.  She will also be a great help when you get old and/or sick - we all do eventually.  Marriage Laws in Thailand are very much 'old school' and you keep what you brought into the relationship - you just have to detail exactly what that is in a legal document before/when you start the relationship.  If it lasts a while and it may do so more, make out a Will leaving her what you think is a reasonable amount of money (if you have any) and the rest to others (if you have any). By all means get 'married' in the village/home, but dont make it 'official' (via Embassy etc.) unless you are going to take her back home.  

PS: Dont be silly and live with a 20 year old when you are 60+.  Up to 20 years younger is fine, even 30 maybe for some, but anymore is probably an 'issue'. 

Which leads me to number 2:  Find an honest reliable Lawyer/Legal Firm both for advice and to draw up any documents.

3 hours ago, AussieBob said:

At some point when you slow down and have had enough of the girls, you should find an honest reliable Thai lady (without kids) from a good family, and that speaks English - there are heaps of them.  Invite her to live with you in a place that you already rent/own that is in your name. Besides all the obvious benefits, she will help you a lot when dealing with other Thais - especially those in government and business.  She will also be a great help when you get old and/or sick - we all do eventually.  Marriage Laws in Thailand are very much 'old school' and you keep what you brought into the relationship - you just have to detail exactly what that is in a legal document before/when you start the relationship.  If it lasts a while and it may do so more, make out a Will leaving her what you think is a reasonable amount of money (if you have any) and the rest to others (if you have any). By all means get 'married' in the village/home, but dont make it 'official' (via Embassy etc.) unless you are going to take her back home.  

PS: Dont be silly and live with a 20 year old when you are 60+.  Up to 20 years younger is fine, even 30 maybe for some, but anymore is probably an 'issue'. 

Which leads me to number 2:  Find an honest reliable Lawyer/Legal Firm both for advice and to draw up any documents.

100% Agree Bob. “Women” a broad but essential Category indeed. Got exactly ALL that in place last six years .

Educated Thai Lady & Child. 25 year gap but I’m a Fit Old Bugger since staying here since March 2020. She  extended / renovated / operates my Leasehold House & gets it in Thai Will. Small business & savings sustains us well enough. Selling House eventually to fund Dream House Build Project.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AussieBob said:

OK, but finding a reliable educated Thai lady that speaks English and is attractive will be hard for most foreigners. If one is likewise educated,,reliable and attractive you stand a chance if you speak polite Thai and run in Thai circles. If you want to hangout in bars and fool around your chances are zero.

If there are big gaps in income there might be problems  IMO. Could be she wants your money only. 

A 10 year gap is ok but not more. Also, if she has kids is not bad. Look at how the kids behave is also a reflection on her. 

6 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

OK, but finding a reliable educated Thai lady that speaks English and is attractive will be hard for most foreigners.

Only if you can't afford minimum a Fortuner! Better is every import car. To rent, to own, never mind.  And no, they don't want your money. They want you happy! B/C that's the state of confusion, you don't even care!

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, LoongFred said:

OK, but finding a reliable educated Thai lady that speaks English and is attractive will be hard for most foreigners. If one is likewise educated,,reliable and attractive you stand a chance if you speak polite Thai and run in Thai circles. If you want to hangout in bars and fool around your chances are zero.

If there are big gaps in income there might be problems  IMO. Could be she wants your money only. 

A 10 year gap is ok but not more. Also, if she has kids is not bad. Look at how the kids behave is also a reflection on her. 

I don't think that is the case at all

There are plenty of Thai ladies that have no interest in foreigners but there are plenty that do

I am in no way bragging but I went on dates with nurses, office workers and a couple others

Spoke and understood very little Thai then(or now, for that matter!)

I have many expat friends that do plenty well with the type of Thai lady described.....

As for age difference, I think it really has to do with the ages of the couple

I know many guys in their 60's with Thai wives in their late 30's/early 40's and they seem to fit well together

I think mostly it has to do with the Thai girl's maturity......

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I don't think that is the case at all

There are plenty of Thai ladies that have no interest in foreigners but there are plenty that do

I am in no way bragging but I went on dates with nurses, office workers and a couple others

Spoke and understood very little Thai then(or now, for that matter!)

I have many expat friends that do plenty well with the type of Thai lady described.....

As for age difference, I think it really has to do with the ages of the couple

I know many guys in their 60's with Thai wives in their late 30's/early 40's and they seem to fit well together

I think mostly it has to do with the Thai girl's maturity......

And nothing of the Farang's maturity?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, oldschooler said:

100% Agree Bob. “Women” a broad but essential Category indeed. Got exactly ALL that in place last six years .

Educated Thai Lady & Child. 25 year gap but I’m a Fit Old Bugger since staying here since March 2020. She  extended / renovated / operates my Leasehold House & gets it in Thai Will. Small business & savings sustains us well enough. Selling House eventually to fund Dream House Build Project.

Thanks mate. Similar myself. Thai wife is almost 20 years younger but we are both fit and play golf and walk. Likewise, she gets everything in Thailand when I kick it, plus a slice of what I have in Australia, and my kids get the rest.  She wants to open a 'shop' when we get back, to bring in a little money - but I just want to play golf and travel - we will probably end up doing a bit of both. 

'Dream House Build Project'   Does that mean building it yourself?

22 minutes ago, DesperateOldHand said:

And nothing of the Farang's maturity?

True!

I see a lot that lack it, even in their 60's  5555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, LoongFred said:

True - you are not going to find one in bars/clubs. But there are heaps of them, if you look in the right places. In my view, any Thai girl over 40 that takes the time and puts in the effort to learn basic/broken English, is exactly the type that you want to try and find if/when you decide to 'settle down'.  Sure, some will be ex-bar girls, but that is why you check and validate - it aint that hard really - dont rush and take your time. Make a list of things - good and bad - then you know what to look for.  Example: tattoos are a no no.

On 1/5/2022 at 7:45 AM, AussieBob said:

I think you eliminated most of the good one, with your lawyer talk. Trust is everything and along with sharing. I've been married to the same girl for 46 years and she's got more property and wealth than me. When we married we only had our education and a commitment to work things out. 

BTW she didn't look for a falang husband and I had to win her over.

29 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I think you eliminated most of the good one, with your lawyer talk. Trust is everything and along with sharing. I've been married to the same girl for 46 years and she's got more property and wealth than me. When we married we only had our education and a commitment to work things out. 

Not talking about you Fred - or me.  I am talking about blokes settling down and marrying a Thai, and the advantages of doing that with a 'good' one. I am glad you have succeeded - I hope the same for everyone - but clearly there are some Thai girls who are best avoided. 

If you have been married that long, then clearly you were a lot younger than most blokes who settle down and look for a Thai girl to marry (or whatever works for them). Well done on making it permanent - but you are not like the vast majority of older blokes (50+) who are usually divorced and looking to escape the oppressive feministic nanny states of the west. Most start out having fun and enjoying themselves - but most of us eventually realise that there are a lot of upsides in having a Thai 'partner'. The key then is how to find the right one. Some are lucky, some are not, and some are just foolish.

35 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Don't take this as a criticism of you or your incredibly successful relationship of 46yrs (I mean that!)

But don't you find it out that we(and I do) all are guilty of pumping up our spouses/partners on these forums?

Why is that?

Again, I'm as guilty as the next guy

But if you sit back and look at posts 

We are all saying how much they have, their education, their businesses 

Like we are all making sure people know our relationship is "real"

Must be the whole Asian/foreigner relationship stigma 

But we all do it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Not talking about you Fred - or me.  I am talking about blokes settling down and marrying a Thai, and the advantages of doing that with a 'good' one. I am glad you have succeeded - I hope the same for everyone - but clearly there are some Thai girls who are best avoided. 

If you have been married that long, then clearly you were a lot younger than most blokes who settle down and look for a Thai girl to marry (or whatever works for them). Well done on making it permanent - but you are not like the vast majority of older blokes (50+) who are usually divorced and looking to escape the oppressive feministic nanny states of the west. Most start out having fun and enjoying themselves - but most of us eventually realise that there are a lot of upsides in having a Thai 'partner'. The key then is how to find the right one. Some are lucky, some are not, and some are just foolish.

You say that like the Thai girls have it easy and we are all great and they just have to be "good" girls to make a good relationship 

I'd venture to say there are a lot more bad farangs than bad Thai girls, IMO

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

You say that like the Thai girls have it easy and we are all great and they just have to be "good" girls to make a good relationship 

I'd venture to say there are a lot more bad farangs than bad Thai girls, IMO

True. Both.

Good Thai girls are not 'easy' and I never meant to imply that.  But there are a lot looking for a good Farang.

The reason I have never given away too much advice about how myself and others I know 'got so lucky', is because the bad Farangs will use that advice to their advantage - and a good Thai girl will be wasted and disappointed.  I was getting ready for golf one day in the carpark, when this Farang came over and asked me where and how does he find a 'good one like you have' . He said 'all the ones I get are no good'.  He was fat ugly and with tattoos all over him, and dressed like a Bogan, and he spoke like an ars hole. I just smiled and said 'I just got lucky I guess' and I walked away.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Thanks mate. Similar myself. Thai wife is almost 20 years younger but we are both fit and play golf and walk. Likewise, she gets everything in Thailand when I kick it, plus a slice of what I have in Australia, and my kids get the rest.  She wants to open a 'shop' when we get back, to bring in a little money - but I just want to play golf and travel - we will probably end up doing a bit of both. 

'Dream House Build Project'   Does that mean building it yourself?

God no . No skill & no work permit. No desire to build myself either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

God no . No skill & no work permit. No desire to build myself either.

That is good mate - not an easy thing to do in Thailand if you did.

So does it mean finding the 'right' house being built? Or getting a builder to build it to your specs/desires?