Dont travel to Thailand Now

AussieBob

17 hours ago, LoongFred said:

All bets are off as Omicron lifts it's ugly head. Since it's  primarily an import issue now, stricter control looks likely. 

Tests before departure haven't proven reliable, so I expect test on arrival to continue. I wouldn't be surprised if some form of arrival quarantine reappears also. 

Messages about severity seemed mixed probably because some are vaccinated and others not. It does seem to be more infectious and rapid spreading.

Best to lie low for now and avoid plane, bus or train travel. Also congested places with alcohol should obviously be avoided. 

Not the best way to start the holidays.

Finally - we agree 👍 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/9/2021 at 9:01 AM, AussieBob said:

IMO there is too much complication and too much risk to travel to Thailand right now.  The risks are not only catching Covid in a place where the medical system is not always the best overall, and is very much at breaking point - but there is the huge risk of testing positive on arrival or during the trip.  

Richard Barrow has just published this story about someone that tested positive.  They are a family of four who came here for a 13-day holiday. The father tested positive and was sent to a hospital for ten days. The mother and the two children, aged two and four, are close contacts and so were told to stay in the quarantine hotel. Obviously at their own expense. He believes they will have to do another test on day 3 or 4 and if they test negative, then they might be able to go. But they would have to go without him as he is expecting to stay in hospital for at least ten days. He doesn’t have any symptoms and he is really hoping his insurance will cover the cost. He thinks it will cost him around 350,000 baht. What a nightmare and not really a good advertisement for coming to Thailand. 

Do not travel to Thailand now is my advice - too complicated and way too risky.  We will be travelling to Thailand when/if they make it easy to apply and get a Tourist Visa (as in the past), when there are no tests required on arrival or at anytime during the stay (unless one gets sick), when more things are open and all the curfews are dropped, when inter-provincial travel is again easy and no worries about new rules suddenly emerging, when airfares are again at a reasonable level, when we do not have to book and pay for hotels etc all in advance before even applying to travel there, when we do not have to provide all of our private data to a Thai organisation that is IT illiterate, and when we do not have to load a Thai tracking app on our smartphones for the duration of the visit (like in China). 

Happy to have vaccination certificates provided (here) and happy to test negative (here) and have travel insurance (from here) - but nothing else.  

What would happen if a tourist arrives in Thailand, is then found positive, has only his daily spending allowance on him, has a credit or debit card from his own country, then refuses to pay many thousands of Baht to the hospital for his "treatment".

Does he get sent to jail or what? Anyone knows that no one can get money from someone if they don't have it.

4 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

What would happen if a tourist arrives in Thailand, is then found positive, has only his daily spending allowance on him, has a credit or debit card from his own country, then refuses to pay many thousands of Baht to the hospital for his "treatment".

Does he get sent to jail or what? Anyone knows that no one can get money from someone if they don't have it.

That's what the mandatory health insurance is for.

32 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

As someone said already, the mandatory insurance covers that (or should - check fine print). The problem is that 14 days of the holiday are now gone. And the bigger one is that if a 'close contact' person (family, sitting next to) then they are 'hotel quarantined' for 10 days and that is not covered under the mandatory insurance. Plus, if the close contact tests positive during the 10 days, they are sent to a hospital and the 14 days starts from their arrival in hospital.  Not detailed anywhere and not announced by TAT - hidden in the rules and regulations of the Thai CCSA bureaucracy.

NEW cases per December 23, 2021.

USA +197,856

UK  +122,186

FRANCE +94,124

ITALY +50,624

GERMANY +27,679

8201169_Screenshot_20211226-105531_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.67556db26aebcac92bbe2ee4856254e4.jpg

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

That said, I totally understand why single men come to Thailand now - But - seen how very Few who wear a face mask in the open nightlife area in soi Buakhao  Tree Town Pattaya, is scary to say the least. Same goes on in Phuket, and some bar in Hua Hin as well.

I expect late January / february new infections will be so High, that we (probably) will see another lockdown and curfew here in Thailand. Hope I'm wrong.

Btw, Philippines rolled back some weeks ago, and currently only citizens and foreigners with a valid visa, married to a local or have children in the country, can apply for a mandatory visa.

Add on typhoon Odette/Rai on Dec 16 that devastated many areas around Visayas, only a masochist would want to travel there now (if he qualified for a visa). Quarantine apply on arrival.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

As someone said already, the mandatory insurance covers that (or should - check fine print). The problem is that 14 days of the holiday are now gone. And the bigger one is that if a 'close contact' person (family, sitting next to) then they are 'hotel quarantined' for 10 days and that is not covered under the mandatory insurance. Plus, if the close contact tests positive during the 10 days, they are sent to a hospital and the 14 days starts from their arrival in hospital.  Not detailed anywhere and not announced by TAT - hidden in the rules and regulations of the Thai CCSA bureaucracy.

Thanks, but as far as I am aware, some insurance companies will not cover the costs of going in to hospital, also, what if the tourist is put in hospital testing negative and having no symptoms, but was sitting beside someone on the Plane who has tested positive? It does happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Read my reply to Aussie Bob.

It might be for you to stay home and not be a burden to your hosts.  Do you also worry about paying your hotel bills? I'm for being responsible.

Thanks, but as far as I am aware, some insurance companies will not cover the costs of going in to hospital, also, what if the tourist is put in hospital testing negative and having no symptoms, but was sitting beside someone on the Plane who has tested positive? It does happen.

I believe if you've been exposed but test negative, they quarantine you at your approved hotel. Of course you need to pay.

22 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

It might be for you to stay home and not be a burden to your hosts.  Do you also worry about paying your hotel bills? I'm for being responsible.

"I'm for being responsible." Responsible???? Posting rubbish like this. :classic_angry:

19 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I believe if you've been exposed but test negative, they quarantine you at your approved hotel. Of course you need to pay.

You did not answer my question.

"I'm for being responsible." Responsible???? Posting rubbish like this. :classic_angry:

You did not answer my question.

Either you or your insurance company has to pay. If you're stuck in quarantine without being infected you're lucky, but either you or your insurance needs to pay. If  you only want to whine, you'll still have to pay. What's the use.

6 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Hospital treatment after testing positive is covered under the insurance, but being quarantined after being a close contact (tests negative) is not covered under insurance. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ThaiPhilExpat said:

NEW cases per December 23, 2021.

USA +197,856

UK  +122,186

FRANCE +94,124

ITALY +50,624

GERMANY +27,679

8201169_Screenshot_20211226-105531_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.67556db26aebcac92bbe2ee4856254e4.jpg

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

That said, I totally understand why single men come to Thailand now - But - seen how very Few who wear a face mask in the open nightlife area in soi Buakhao  Tree Town Pattaya, is scary to say the least. Same goes on in Phuket, and some bar in Hua Hin as well.

I expect late January / february new infections will be so High, that we (probably) will see another lockdown and curfew here in Thailand. Hope I'm wrong.

Btw, Philippines rolled back some weeks ago, and currently only citizens and foreigners with a valid visa, married to a local or have children in the country, can apply for a mandatory visa.

Add on typhoon Odette/Rai on Dec 16 that devastated many areas around Visayas, only a masochist would want to travel there now (if he qualified for a visa). Quarantine apply on arrival.

The numbers have gone up again - and the trend is higher. Thailand is in for a big hit in numbers too I am afraid - unlikely they will avoid it.  I think you might be wrong - Thailand might start lockdowns very soon after New Year - if they can hold out that long. I fear everyone opened back up too soon. 

image.png.b7d463c42c0a8575b968223ece8432db.png

• Like 1

Danish family regrets travelling to Thailand during Pandemic story below.  The family’s advice to other Danes who are about to leave for Thailand is therefore very clear: “Stay at home!”  “Have fun at home instead and wait for the world to get better at handling covid. This is foolish. I regret we left. It’s such a shame to spend your vacation like this. And worst of all is to be separated from your children. You really have to have strong children for this to be possible,” Joy Ahlström says to BT

https://scandasia.com/danish-family-placed-in-isolation-in-thailand-after-daughter-test-positive-for-covid-19/

I wonder how many others are thinking the same right now, or will over the next few weeks.  Richard Barrow said 63 people tested positive in one day - 24 December.   

People who test negative before a flight and then positive when they arrive, have caught it off someone else. I wonder how many did so in the queues while waiting at the airport? 

IMO dont travel to Thailand now for a short holiday. As that Danish family found out, and many others as well (not much media coverage) it is not worth it.  63 in just one day means there will be thousands over the holiday period - the more that arrive - the more that will test positive and be placed in a Hospital (insurance should cover costs).  And then there are all the 'close contacts' of all those that test positive (2-3 for every one?) who are placed in quarantine hotels (insurance not likely to cover costs).  No Thank You.

• Like 1

Inconclusive test result on arrival is another issue that does happen. One incident reported here in thaiger, at a extra expence of 3,000 per day that the tourist hadn't expected.

https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/9597-inconclusive-test-resulti-am-a-prisoner/#comment-131014

Another possible scenario, while the tourist are on holiday, his country goes into lockdown and mandatory quarantine before he return home.

Another scenario reported a few times lately, tourists has not received Thailand Pass approval, 24 hours before departure! Ticket and accommodation etc etc already paid for. 

https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/9603-thai-pass-is-not-approved-but-flights-are-tomorrow/#comment-130976

Have a condo here? Juristic management should have spare key to your unit so they can inspect your unit, or your real estate agent who handle your rentals.

Have a girlfriend here that you haven't seen for 2 years? I could tell many real life stories what they are up to, when you are away for 2 years. Some of you transfer 300-700$ per month to your gf here, still ..... (but your lady are different, right?)

Have a business here? Your native business partner, or your attorney, should be able to keep you updated.

So, why are people travelling to another country, at current time when anything can change within an hour?

OP was spot on, this is not a time to travel abroad.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ThaiPhilExpat said:

Inconclusive test result on arrival is another issue that does happen. One incident reported here in thaiger, at a extra expence of 3,000 per day that the tourist hadn't expected.

https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/9597-inconclusive-test-resulti-am-a-prisoner/#comment-131014

Another possible scenario, while the tourist are on holiday, his country goes into lockdown and mandatory quarantine before he return home.

Another scenario reported a few times lately, tourists has not received Thailand Pass approval, 24 hours before departure! Ticket and accommodation etc etc already paid for. 

https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/9603-thai-pass-is-not-approved-but-flights-are-tomorrow/#comment-130976

Have a condo here? Juristic management should have spare key to your unit so they can inspect your unit, or your real estate agent who handle your rentals.

Have a girlfriend here that you haven't seen for 2 years? I could tell many real life stories what they are up to, when you are away for 2 years. Some of you transfer 300-700$ per month to your gf here, still ..... (but your lady are different, right?)

Have a business here? Your native business partner, or your attorney, should be able to keep you updated.

So, why are people travelling to another country, at current time when anything can change within an hour?

OP was spot on, this is not a time to travel abroad.

Thanks mate.  Your points about the reasons for travel are dead right - why the 'ell would a family travel from Europe USA etc. all the way to Thailand, or any SEAsian country, in the middle of a global pandemic. The logic defies belief.  I can understand the risks being taken by some people - but those with family members - just for a short holiday - staggering.  I truly believe that the majority do so because they 'want' to see Thailand and superficially look at the 'Open Again and Quarantine Free' advertising being done by TAT in their home countries, and just do not do any research. 

• Like 1

Although I loved Thailand for many years, and having lived there for 20, I feel the changes of the last 10 years and the attitude and general arrogance has just put me right off. I was even planning to retire there and buy a house in Patchuab, but I'm seriously thinking of ditching those plans ...not because of Covid, but because of the way the Thais turned against us westerners in times of hardship, their love affair with China, and the general "Thai way" of doing things (endemic corruption, lack of and corrupt education, lack of gun control, lack of respect for others, widespread drug use, lack of respect for women, and so on...)

But, to my utter astonishment, there's a ray of sunshine on my horizon. Although I said I would never go to Spain, I'd never go on a package holiday,...well all the things I said I wouldn't do, I've gone and done it! I agreed to go for my Thai wife and my son, as they've both been working hard and deserve a break.

I'm just back from Tenerife, and what an eye opener! I can hardly believe it. Everything was 100 times better than I ever expected, and a hundred times better than Thailand, the flight (4 hours from GLA), the transfers (all were thoroughly well organised), the hotel staff were courteous, open and friendly, the food above average (but not as good as Thai food), the weather was a constant 22 degrees, the streets were clean, the pavements were flat and safe, the car drivers stopped for pedestrians at every crossing, everyone on the street was respectful and friendly...I'm knocked out by it. And yes, the Thai restaurant in the seafront area was very good, as were the other restaurants I tried...abundant seafood, and the pubs and bars were full and fun, loads of Sports bars....and the surfing is great too.

What I did miss from Thailand was the street food, but my wife can make that when we really miss it. The beaches are better in Thailand, but not that much that it bothers me. And, by the way, I visited the Siam Park (waterpark) in Tenerife, and now I know where the Vana Nava water Jungle got their ideas from...it's almost a complete copy, but without the foliage. 

So all in all I'm greatly tempted to retire here instead...It's cheap, the taxi's are inexpensive, and the houses are the same price as Thailand.

If Thailand wants to persuade all their lost tourists back, then they've got to up their game, educate their people and fix their infrastructure, and stop blaming us for their own shortcomings. I for one am losing motivation and love for the country I spent most of my life in.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 11:31 PM, Sateeb said:

Although I loved Thailand for many years, and having lived there for 20, I feel the changes of the last 10 years and the attitude and general arrogance has just put me right off. I was even planning to retire there and buy a house in Patchuab, but I'm seriously thinking of ditching those plans ...not because of Covid, but because of the way the Thais turned against us westerners in times of hardship, their love affair with China, and the general "Thai way" of doing things (endemic corruption, lack of and corrupt education, lack of gun control, lack of respect for others, widespread drug use, lack of respect for women, and so on...)

But, to my utter astonishment, there's a ray of sunshine on my horizon. Although I said I would never go to Spain, I'd never go on a package holiday,...well all the things I said I wouldn't do, I've gone and done it! I agreed to go for my Thai wife and my son, as they've both been working hard and deserve a break.

I'm just back from Tenerife, and what an eye opener! I can hardly believe it. Everything was 100 times better than I ever expected, and a hundred times better than Thailand, the flight (4 hours from GLA), the transfers (all were thoroughly well organised), the hotel staff were courteous, open and friendly, the food above average (but not as good as Thai food), the weather was a constant 22 degrees, the streets were clean, the pavements were flat and safe, the car drivers stopped for pedestrians at every crossing, everyone on the street was respectful and friendly...I'm knocked out by it. And yes, the Thai restaurant in the seafront area was very good, as were the other restaurants I tried...abundant seafood, and the pubs and bars were full and fun, loads of Sports bars....and the surfing is great too.

What I did miss from Thailand was the street food, but my wife can make that when we really miss it. The beaches are better in Thailand, but not that much that it bothers me. And, by the way, I visited the Siam Park (waterpark) in Tenerife, and now I know where the Vana Nava water Jungle got their ideas from...it's almost a complete copy, but without the foliage. 

So all in all I'm greatly tempted to retire here instead...It's cheap, the taxi's are inexpensive, and the houses are the same price as Thailand.

If Thailand wants to persuade all their lost tourists back, then they've got to up their game, educate their people and fix their infrastructure, and stop blaming us for their own shortcomings. I for one am losing motivation and love for the country I spent most of my life in.

I hear you mate - Thailand became more costly and complex for Expats after the Junta took over in 2014. The internet forums are full of good things from Aussies who have moved there - but unfortunately for us, we are too far from Spain for it to be an option.  Bali was 20 good years ago but not anymore (unless you just want to drink all and chase bar girls all night) and the Indonesian Govt is also starting to make things difficult for Expats. Philippines and Malaysia and Vietnam - those 3 are becoming more and more the most popular places for newbie wannabe Expats to look at. But with a Thai wife, it is either here or Thailand really. In Australia the roads are safe, there is not too much corruption, the laws apply equally to everyone, and the medical system is world class and free - and that is it. It is a bit like living in your parent's basement - it is safe and free - but it aint good really.  Come the pension and retirement, we will have to decide finally which one to live in, and which one to visit (cant live in both on the pension).

Travelling to Thailand for a visit is something we hope to do mid/late this year, but not until all these draconian testing and quarantine impositions on tourists are removed when the pandemic is over.   

• Like 3

On 12/30/2021 at 8:31 PM, Sateeb said:

No use talking about it and move on. Like voting with your feet. If you think that Thailand should be like the UK,  it never will be (hopefully). Things change over the years. Some are better some not so. However I've seen great progress. However I'm a glass half full kind of person that focuses on the good. Spain is probably more falang friendly because they're falangs. Thailand will always be awkward for some who want to compare life with back home.

5 hours ago, AussieBob said:

I hear you mate - Thailand became more costly and complex for Expats after the Junta took over in 2014. The internet forums are full of good things from Aussies who have moved there - but unfortunately for us, we are too far from Spain for it to be an option.  Bali was 20 good years ago but not anymore (unless you just want to drink all and chase bar girls all night) and the Indonesian Govt is also starting to make things difficult for Expats. Philippines and Malaysia and Vietnam - those 3 are becoming more and more the most popular places for newbie wannabe Expats to look at. But with a Thai wife, it is either here or Thailand really. In Australia the roads are safe, there is not too much corruption, the laws apply equally to everyone, and the medical system is world class and free - and that is it. It is a bit like living in your parent's basement - it is safe and free - but it aint good really.  Come the pension and retirement, we will have to decide finally which one to live in, and which one to visit (cant live in both on the pension).

Travelling to Thailand for a visit is something we hope to do mid/late this year, but not until all these draconian testing and quarantine impositions on tourists are removed when the pandemic is over.   

The only challenge is the quarantine in my view. I can understand to necessity but I don't like it. Your chances of getting Covid-19 are probably less (depends where you hang out) and it sick you'll need medical care which is very good. I won't be visiting the US this year because I don't want to spend time in quarantine and/or Phuket.  I don't realish the long flight either so I'm happy to stay put.

The other regulations are mostly paperwork and I've handled that, so no problem. Seems to me that if you follow the rules and get required paperwork, everything would be OK. 

We gave up our home in California because we didn't want to leave it vacant and didn't want to rent it. Our daughter suggested we get an Air B N B if we want to visit. Otherwise we can send money for airfares and have them visit us.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Regardless of the politics and shapeshifting going on, it's going to be quite a while before things here, and everywhere, return to the graces of what it was. 

It might be easier on all of us to just embrace the reality of it all - and accept it - instead of the struggling fight that we seem to be incessantly engaged in.

On 12/31/2021 at 4:34 PM, AussieBob said:

There are so many places in Bali that aren't like that, all you have to do is go over to Seminyak and there is none of the drunks and such 

We loved Seminyak

I don't really understand your point on Thailand not being welcoming, I don't think anything has changed much since the 18 years I've been coming.

But I guess that is a personal opinion.

As for other places to live in the region:

My vote would be Luang Prabang in Laos and Siem Reap in Cambodia  as alternatives to Thailand 

The only issue with both of those places is the level, or lack of, medical facilities 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Marc26 said:

There are so many places in Bali that aren't like that, all you have to do is go over to Seminyak and there is none of the drunks and such 

We loved Seminyak

I don't really understand your point on Thailand not being welcoming, I don't think anything has changed much since the 18 years I've been coming.

But I guess that is a personal opinion.

As for other places to live in the region:

My vote would be Luang Prabang in Laos and Siem Reap in Cambodia  as alternatives to Thailand 

The only issue with both of those places is the level, or lack of, medical facilities 

Yunnan Province, China and Bhutan might make lovely alternatives for some looking for something different away from the madding crowd.

It does not make sense to travel to Thailand unless good compelling reason for a vacation when there are many other places with little or no hassle. And what will be the situation in a week?

I actually know a guy  who is in a hotel quarantine because he tested positive on arrival for test and go. No symptoms whatsoever. But he is retired, he does not have a family with him, and he can afford it. These problems are happening to a small minority of people so I consider this post scaremongering, It is like saying do not travel to Thailand, you might get struck by lightning.  Just know the risks