Dont travel to Thailand Now

AussieBob

On 11/11/2021 at 11:26 PM, NCC1701A said:

Why come to Thailand for anything now or in the future?

That is the message for anyone reading this topic. Rethink your plans and go somewhere else and forget about coming here forever. 

The sex pests will always want to come here and I suspect the most vocal of the open Thailand now chorus.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Artemis080 said:

I agree. I am a motivated business traveller in usual times and have done more than my fair share of government quarantines around the world throughout this mess. Not something I wish on anyone.

I have been grateful to be home in Thailand the last few months and resisting business travel. For your average tourist to be thinking about coming to Thailand on a "holiday", is testimony to the agendas and reach of the travel industry and YouTube sphere selling a risky distorted reality.

Thailand is not open as normal, far from it. Contracting covid if you are vaccinated may not be a concern for many, but you will have to be tested on entry and exit and then the nightmare begins of your gilded cage at your expense. For what? A two week holiday to a place where drinking in a bar daring to open will get you running the risk of arrest.

I love Thailand. But now is not the time.

Well said mate - perfect summary of reality.

I would also add that the Baht is way too high as well, and the Junta likes that (pays of their toys quicker).  If the Junta thinks the tourism will save them, then do things to reduce the value of the Baht so it is cheapoer for tourists to travel to Thailand.  Oooops - I forgot - the Junta thinks that 1 million rich tourists will come and make up for the 20 million going elsewhere and the 10 million Chinese staying home.

• Like 5

Eughh. I hated doing it, but I've just moved my flights to next year. Such a shame. I was holding on with some optomism, and then heard today they are extending the booze ban, I read fedback elsehwere that there are checks when you enter streets (mask, temp, Thailand pass) etc. That's not a holiday.

Down the drain 2 x 60 day visas, and some small fry airport hotels (UK side).

Time to shop around and see where else is hot and relaxing over winter! At least I have two BC flights paid for and waiting for my return to Thailand next year (if they get their shit together by then!)

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Dodgey said:

Eughh. I hated doing it, but I've just moved my flights to next year. Such a shame. I was holding on with some optomism, and then heard today they are extending the booze ban, I read fedback elsehwere that there are checks when you enter streets (mask, temp, Thailand pass) etc. That's not a holiday.

Down the drain 2 x 60 day visas, and some small fry airport hotels (UK side).

Time to shop around and see where else is hot and relaxing over winter! At least I have two BC flights paid for and waiting for my return to Thailand next year (if they get their shit together by then!)

Chiang Mai Governor has announced a lockdown across parts of the Province. This is just another reason not to travel to Thailand now (for a short holiday/visit) - everything is changing quickly and there are just too many variables and risks. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TikiBob said:

All risk and reward. No risk then no visit to Thailand. I will roll my dice in March. 
You have made some good points though 😀

We are going to review things again at about that time too.  By that time things should have either settled down to a new normal with no restrictions like now, or the lock-downs and bans have been re-started. Under the new normal, as long as all they want is a vaccine certificate, travel insurance, and an in-home country negative test, then we will move ahead on our trip. But if there is any possibility than our 3-4 week holiday could be terminated for 10-14 days, because one of us tests positive or we sat near someone that tested positive, then no chance. Likewise we will not be arriving if there are things that can just happen out of nowhere - like the Gov of Krabi suddenly banning alcohol, or the Gov Chiang Mai suddenly locking down the place with no warning, or the 'chief' of Khao San Road demanding people entering get tested for 100 Baht (and off to hospital at our expense if test positive), etc etc etc. 

• Like 3

Just got this off Richard Barrow:  The CCSA has refused TAT’s request to change PCR testing on arrival to the quicker and cheaper ATK testing. Meanwhile, Cambodia has now dropped quarantine and PCR testing for vaccinated arrivals making it more attractive to international holidaymakers

I think this is the beginning of the change and removal of the risk for people to have their holiday ruined by being very unlucky.  As a guy said on Reddit Travelling to Thailand right now with a mandatory asymptomatic quarantine policy is a lot riskier than people think.  There is a lot of chat going on and most people are reluctant to travel with the threat of quarantine.

The TAT know this mandatory quarantine rule upon testing positive is stopping people coming and that is why they asked CCSA to stop the PCR tests.   Tim said 54 people have tested positive since Nov 1 - and dont forget the people who were sitting next to them (over 100 with ruined holidays).  IMO waiting is still the wise choice if you are thinking of a holiday.  Things will change. 

• Like 2

On 11/17/2021 at 12:05 AM, AussieBob said:

Just got this off Richard Barrow:  The CCSA has refused TAT’s request to change PCR testing on arrival to the quicker and cheaper ATK testing. Meanwhile, Cambodia has now dropped quarantine and PCR testing for vaccinated arrivals making it more attractive to international holidaymakers

I think this is the beginning of the change and removal of the risk for people to have their holiday ruined by being very unlucky.  As a guy said on Reddit Travelling to Thailand right now with a mandatory asymptomatic quarantine policy is a lot riskier than people think.  There is a lot of chat going on and most people are reluctant to travel with the threat of quarantine.

The TAT know this mandatory quarantine rule upon testing positive is stopping people coming and that is why they asked CCSA to stop the PCR tests.   Tim said 54 people have tested positive since Nov 1 - and dont forget the people who were sitting next to them (over 100 with ruined holidays).  IMO waiting is still the wise choice if you are thinking of a holiday.  Things will change. 

That's what I thought too, I hope big changes coming up after New Year.

• Like 2

"The Philippines, home to over 7,000 islands in Southeast Asia, is now accepting fully vaccinated visitors from countries on the “Green List”, but they must submit a negative RT-PCR test done within 72 hours of departure, rather than quarantine or an on-arrival RT-PCR test."    https://thethaiger.com/news/regional/philippines/philippines-waives-quarantine-for-green-list-countries

Hello Thailand Junta - are you listening?   No test on arrival in the Philippines.  Why risk being locked up in quarantine for a short holiday to Thailand, when there are other places to holiday - and now that list includes The Philippines. 

Courtesy of Major Smudges at Reddit:

Thailand: "Please come and visit our country - we are open again"

Tourists: "Great, yes please. Is it easy?"

Thailand: "Sort of. You have to be vaccinated AND apply for a Thailand Pass AND take a Covid Test before you get on a plane AND then pay for another expensive test and 1 night quarantine when you get here - then if you are negative you can go on with your holiday".

Tourists: "Ok, not quite as simple as I thought, but anyway...so what happens if me, or one of my family tests positive? Can we take another test straight away to see if the first was a false positive - I mean, I'm vaccinated AND I only tested negative 48 hours ago at home and, you know, some tests do give 'false-positives', right?"

Thailand: "No, whoever tests positive is not allowed to take another test to check the first one was accurate - they will be forced into a hospital and their remaining family members will be forced into hotel quarantine for anything up to 14 days". And even though you have "insurance" it might not actually cover you for the hospital stay (which could run into several thousands of dollars!) if you are asymptomatic because your insurance company might not consider you technically "sick".

Tourists: "Hang on, here's a great idea...why don't you just charge all tourists, I dunno, say 500 Baht extra on arrival into the country? That money could go into a general fund that would then pay for a tourist's quarantine fees or hospital fees if they or someone they are travelling with are unlucky enough to test positive"?

Thailand: "Yes, that would be the logical thing to do - that's why we won't do it."

Tourists: "Ok, so, surely the Covid-positive person that isn't actually "sick" and isn't likely to get sick because they have been, you know, fully vaccinated can just stay in hotel quarantine for a few days until they test negative?"

Thailand: "No, no, no - we can't have one rule for tourists like you and another for Thai people who all have to go to hospital if they test positive"

Tourists: "But isn't that just because you don't trust covid positive Thai people to self-quarantine at home? Surely you can send me to a quarantine hotel instead? I mean, I'm a guest in your country, right? Didn't you ask me to come by opening your borders? Shouldn't Thailand be making things as easy as possible for tourists like me, rather than the opposite?"

Thailand: "Yes, all of that is correct. But we are literally only thinking about ourselves and we don't wish to assume any extra risk AT ALL in your taking up our invitation to come to our country - we are expecting YOU to take on ALL the extra burdens and risks, both financial AND health-wise, involved with coming to Thailand and helping our country get its economy back on its feet."

Tourists: "Ok, thanks for the offer. I think I'll give Thailand a miss this year."

Thailand: "What did we do wrong?"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

"The Philippines, home to over 7,000 islands in Southeast Asia, is now accepting fully vaccinated visitors from countries on the “Green List”, but they must submit a negative RT-PCR test done within 72 hours of departure, rather than quarantine or an on-arrival RT-PCR test."    https://thethaiger.com/news/regional/philippines/philippines-waives-quarantine-for-green-list-countries

Thailand: "What did we do wrong?"

Went to the Philippines in 1998, far more scams Than Thailand, got mugged in Manila on a Sunday morning at 9 AM and the girls were far bigger cheats and liars. Would not go back there, mostly seems to attract clueless Americans who feel more comfortable in a country where English is more widely spoken, can't think of any other reason.

59 minutes ago, Sarisin said:

Went to the Philippines in 1998, far more scams Than Thailand, got mugged in Manila on a Sunday morning at 9 AM and the girls were far bigger cheats and liars. Would not go back there, mostly seems to attract clueless Americans who feel more comfortable in a country where English is more widely spoken, can't think of any other reason.

yep my experiences exactly. It was one of only a very few countries where the company I used to work for provided personal security when we went to carry out business there.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sarisin said:

I know 2 Aussie guys married to Philippinos - they disagree.  Sorry you had such a bad time there - happens everywhere in the 3rd world if you are unlucky/stupid.

But the issue is the rules of entry to the country.  Just today a story is emerging that CCSA is going to approve/consider allowing rapid antigen tests on arrival - no more PCR tests and overnight quarantines.  But they should not do tests on vaccinated, fully insured arrivals at all - they dont test and quarantine every Thai who drives into Bangkok or over to Phuket. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pinetree said:

yep my experiences exactly. It was one of only a very few countries where the company I used to work for provided personal security when we went to carry out business there.  

Been to India? Pakistan? 

• Haha 1

On 11/12/2021 at 2:24 AM, Poolie said:

The above being a message from anti-TAT.

Produced by Misery Inc.

Indeed.

It appears that too many think much too much about such things. Especially derived from those who have no real associations or connections....with little effect and substance.

Let it go.

On 11/26/2021 at 1:28 PM, Pinetree said:

Concur this especially when you travel out of makati or Manila. I have the same experience.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2021 at 10:01 AM, AussieBob said:

IMO there is too much complication and too much risk to travel to Thailand right now.  The risks are not only catching Covid in a place where the medical system is not always the best overall, and is very much at breaking point - but there is the huge risk of testing positive on arrival or during the trip.  

Richard Barrow has just published this story about someone that tested positive.  They are a family of four who came here for a 13-day holiday. The father tested positive and was sent to a hospital for ten days. The mother and the two children, aged two and four, are close contacts and so were told to stay in the quarantine hotel. Obviously at their own expense. He believes they will have to do another test on day 3 or 4 and if they test negative, then they might be able to go. But they would have to go without him as he is expecting to stay in hospital for at least ten days. He doesn’t have any symptoms and he is really hoping his insurance will cover the cost. He thinks it will cost him around 350,000 baht. What a nightmare and not really a good advertisement for coming to Thailand. 

Do not travel to Thailand now is my advice - too complicated and way too risky.  We will be travelling to Thailand when/if they make it easy to apply and get a Tourist Visa (as in the past), when there are no tests required on arrival or at anytime during the stay (unless one gets sick), when more things are open and all the curfews are dropped, when inter-provincial travel is again easy and no worries about new rules suddenly emerging, when airfares are again at a reasonable level, when we do not have to book and pay for hotels etc all in advance before even applying to travel there, when we do not have to provide all of our private data to a Thai organisation that is IT illiterate, and when we do not have to load a Thai tracking app on our smartphones for the duration of the visit (like in China). 

Happy to have vaccination certificates provided (here) and happy to test negative (here) and have travel insurance (from here) - but nothing else.  

That could take years, if not decades.

The world has changed irrevocably and it will never be business as usual again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JustaGuy said:

That could take years, if not decades.

The world has changed irrevocably and it will never be business as usual again.

Maybe - but there currently exists a few countries where fully vaccinated tourists from certain countries can visit and not be tested on arrival with the threat of  being 'locked up' if testing positive.  These countries have been getting a lot more tourists than countries imposing testing on arrival and quarantines/lockdowns.  This trend will lead to more and more countries removing the testing on arrival requirement - people do not want to go on an expensive short holiday for a few weeks and risk being the 1 in a 100 that gets 'locked up'. 

Omicron is changing all that with its massive increase in numbers - which is another reason not to travel to Thailand now. I agree that there will be a new normal.  In the long run, after this wave fades and if no further massive waves of cases happens, then the new normal internationally will be (IMO) that tourists from 'approved' countries must have Vaccination Certificates, Testing Negative <72 hours,  and Medical Insurance (some countries, but not others).  I dont think the 'new normal' will take years - IMO mid/late 2022 - mid 2023 at the latest. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Maybe - but there currently exists a few countries where fully vaccinated tourists from certain countries can visit and not be tested on arrival with the threat of  being 'locked up' if testing positive.  These countries have been getting a lot more tourists than countries imposing testing on arrival and quarantines/lockdowns.  This trend will lead to more and more countries removing the testing on arrival requirement - people do not want to go on an expensive short holiday for a few weeks and risk being the 1 in a 100 that gets 'locked up'. 

Omicron is changing all that with its massive increase in numbers - which is another reason not to travel to Thailand now. I agree that there will be a new normal.  In the long run, after this wave fades and if no further massive waves of cases happens, then the new normal internationally will be (IMO) that tourists from 'approved' countries must have Vaccination Certificates, Testing Negative <72 hours,  and Medical Insurance (some countries, but not others).  I dont think the 'new normal' will take years - IMO mid/late 2022 - mid 2023 at the latest. 

IMO Thailand was very smart starting with test on arrival. If all tests before departure were accurate, the test on arrival would be zero. We know this isn't the case and those testing positive on arrival need to be quarantined along with anyone in close contact. Anyone advocating dropping testing on arrival, is suggesting more exposure to the Thai population.  To me it's very selfish to suggest. 

Since the rapid test isn't as sensitive it likewise is smart to use. Thailand has bent over backwards to make things as easy as can be practical, but some people only complain.

I don't know about the Thai Pass system, but although it might not be perfect,  it is an attempt to help people who want to come.

There are some that will always complain and nothing will ever be good enough. I hope they stay home because I for one don't need them or their  ****. But that me being selfish.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Another one that has bought into the designed convention. Appears to be the fashion.

Ho Hum..

All bets are off as Omicron lifts it's ugly head. Since it's  primarily an import issue now, stricter control looks likely. 

Tests before departure haven't proven reliable, so I expect test on arrival to continue. I wouldn't be surprised if some form of arrival quarantine reappears also. 

Messages about severity seemed mixed probably because some are vaccinated and others not. It does seem to be more infectious and rapid spreading.

Best to lie low for now and avoid plane, bus or train travel. Also congested places with alcohol should obviously be avoided. 

Not the best way to start the holidays.

On 12/19/2021 at 3:17 PM, LoongFred said:

IMO Thailand was very smart starting with test on arrival. If all tests before departure were accurate, the test on arrival would be zero. We know this isn't the case and those testing positive on arrival need to be quarantined along with anyone in close contact. Anyone advocating dropping testing on arrival, is suggesting more exposure to the Thai population.  To me it's very selfish to suggest. 

Since the rapid test isn't as sensitive it likewise is smart to use. Thailand has bent over backwards to make things as easy as can be practical, but some people only complain.

I don't know about the Thai Pass system, but although it might not be perfect,  it is an attempt to help people who want to come.

There are some that will always complain and nothing will ever be good enough. I hope they stay home because I for one don't need them or their  ****. But that me being selfish.

You dont want them to come to Thailand because you think they are selfish? Man - it is not all about you mate - it is about tourists.  Fred - Thailand needs tourists - desperately. But what they have done and all the changes made, is not working for obvious reason - but your support has no reason - all feelings - lets discuss that another time.

Omicron and the probable closure of the test/go program has made all this mute. 

• Like 2

On 12/19/2021 at 9:59 PM, Rain said:

Another one that has bought into the designed convention. Appears to be the fashion.

Ho Hum..

Another that has bought into the conspiracy argument - some people believe anything.

1. The Illuminati are the secret rulers of the world
2. The 9/11 attacks were an inside job
3. Vaccines make you ill, and governments have covered this up
4. Covid-19 is a cover-up and part of a global agenda for control
5. The world is flat