News Forum - Public Health Minister says cannabis is a step closer to becoming a cash crop

Thaiger

Thailand’s Public Health Minister says he wants to make cannabis a cash crop… just not the parts of the plant that get you high. Anutin Charnvirakul, who also serves as the deputy prime minister, made a visit to a cannabis learning centre in the northeastern province Bueng Kan, which borders Laos, and posted photos on Facebook of himself walking through a cannabis greenhouse. Anutin has been a vocal supporter of cannabis when it comes to the CBD, or cannabidiol, the relaxing and said to be medicinal component of the plant, but has stayed fairly quiet on actions to take regarding […]

The story Public Health Minister says cannabis is a step closer to becoming a cash crop as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Maybe for once stop talking about the money. How about not a step closer to more money, but a step closer to introducing the use of Marijuana which, for a long period of time, unnecessarily was illegal. A step closer to offer people who need it, the help they need. 

Maybe if he starts using it, he'd see it's not all about money and maybe stops always pointing fingers at others. 

"except the high-inducing, THC-rich buds"

Feel sure they are being treated appropriately and secured in a professional manner, making sure they do not fall into the wrong hands.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, palooka said:

"except the high-inducing, THC-rich buds"

Feel sure they are being treated appropriately and secured in a professional manner, making sure they do not fall into the wrong hands.

There are many cultivars that don't produce THC..  but CDC is quite high.. 

I had a friend in UK that saw a field full and sneaked in at night and came out with 2 black bin bags.. I'm pretty sure he smoked at least 1 bag without a high ! 🤣

Edited by Malc-Thai
  • Like 2

Here in Holland we grow several thousand hectares of hemp. The fibres are used in the production of dashboards for cars. Or to make rope, or clothes. The seeds you can use as birdfeed, or for fishing. Hemp has been a regular crop here for at least 500 years.

The cultivars used have about 0.00001 % THC in the buds. You have to smoke a hectare of it to notice anything. Growing hemp cultivars with a higher content of THC is illegal here. 

I guess the discussion in Thailand is over the fibre-producing type.

I think it's already a cash crop in some parts!!

Joking aside, I know that where my wife is from everyone is growing a bit anyway so it doesn't really matter anymore. No one cares.

I really wish that the government would get off the proverbial pot (Boo! Boo! Groan! Er... sorry) on this and just go full throttle ahead on full legalization/decriminalization. 

The benefits of legalization are pretty clear and well-known; weed is a highly profitable cash crop that will assist in Thailand's recovery from the economic harm caused by Covid, it'll assist in the return of tourists in Asia as the only country smart enough to use it as an inducement, it'll attract the young tourists who will fund Thailand's tourist trade into the future (how many reading this first came to Thailand at a young age, then returned again and again?) and it'll be one more item differentiating Thailand from the other regional places with natural beauty, nice beaches, great food and hot chicks.

The first country in Asia to go ahead and do it will have significant advantages. First, the sheer 'newness' will provide an initial instant market. Second, whichever country goes first will essentially set the rules for the continent (governments globally have a tendency to copy each other), and those rules can be written to Thailand's benefit. Third, beyond the laws, there are always regulatory issues to deal with on any new product and these tend to be copied as well. Moreover, Thailand, should it go first, will have a huge time advantage in creating a new system of distribution and taxation. Finally, Thailand will get a massive head-start on growing, marketing and providing weed to the whole continent; given a clean, clear head start, Thailand could easily be the continental leader of a new, multi-billion dollar industry in Asia for generations.

Is there much risk involved? No, not really. Eighteen countries and several American states have already legalized weed and suffered no real downside. Will the Thai people be okay with it? I would guess fewer violent incidents as young people having a doobie are less likely to be violent than those slurping moonshine whiskey or popping Yaba. Will the roads be safer? Again, it is an opinion, but yes; I have, or rather know some people who have, driven drunk and driven high, and high is safer. Will there be some down-sides? Yes, but simply put any culture which allows the sale of alcohol should also allow the sale of weed and chill out on the rest. 

Full legalization of weed is basically a good 'get rich quick' scheme, would make Thailand a 'Hub' of a new industry and empty out the jails; aren't these three reasons enough to pull the trigger? And, three reasons that Thailand can directly benefit from?

Make the call Thailand, or watch another country reap all the rewards.

13 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

Maybe for once stop talking about the money. How about not a step closer to more money, but a step closer to introducing the use of Marijuana which, for a long period of time, unnecessarily was illegal. A step closer to offer people who need it, the help they need. 

Maybe if he starts using it, he'd see it's not all about money and maybe stops always pointing fingers at others. 

That is all he has in his head $$$ 555