News Forum - Thailand to welcome British Foreign Secretary as part of Southeast Asia visit

Thaiger

The British Foreign Secretary, Liz Truss, will visit Thailand as part of a Southeast Asia trip that will also see her travel to Malaysia and Indonesia. According to a Reuters report, the purpose of the week-long trip is to strengthen the UK’s economic and security ties in the region. The UK is increasingly looking to countries beyond Europe as it seeks to forge ties with other regions, following its controversial departure from the EU. Truss says the Southeast Asia visit reflects the region’s importance to Britain. “I want to position Britain where the future growth is and to think about […]

The story Thailand to welcome British Foreign Secretary as part of Southeast Asia visit as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Now you Brits before you get carried away, I have already emailed the FCO inviting Liz up my way for night of partying with me and the locals and a chat about the way the British government treats their nationals abroad.

The discussions will also be about whether a direct link from Udon Thani Airport to the UK for the freighting of glutinous rice is part of the UK's economic assessment for the area.

I am still   awaiting my reply as to whether she accepts. However in my invitation to her I did not include the British Ambassador or his husband so perhaps that will go down as a bit of a bummer for her as I am sure he/they would normally be part of any diplomatic entourage. I'll keep you guys informed of any news.

19 minutes ago, gummy said:

Now you Brits before you get carried away, I have already emailed the FCO inviting Liz up my way for night of partying with me and the locals and a chat about the way the British government treats their nationals abroad.

The discussions will also be about whether a direct link from Udon Thani Airport to the UK for the freighting of glutinous rice is part of the UK's economic assessment for the area.

I am still   awaiting my reply as to whether she accepts. However in my invitation to her I did not include the British Ambassador or his husband so perhaps that will go down as a bit of a bummer for her as I am sure he/they would normally be part of any diplomatic entourage. I'll keep you guys informed of any news.

Perhaps she is planning to open another pork-market 🤣🤣

Good news for your bacon @Malc-Thai👍

• Haha 2

"'The British Foreign Secretary, Liz Truss, will visit Thailand as part of a Southeast Asia trip that will also see her travel to Malaysia and Indonesia. According to a Reuters report, the purpose of the week-long trip is to strengthen the UK’s economic and security ties in the region.

The UK is increasingly looking to countries beyond Europe as it seeks to forge ties with other regions, following its controversial departure from the EU. Truss says the Southeast Asia visit reflects the region’s importance to Britain.

“I want to position Britain where the future growth is and to think about who our major partners will be in 2050 and beyond. Southeast Asia will be the engine of the global economy and I want Britain to be part of that, upgrading our economic and security relations with the region to reflect its growing importance.”'

So, let me see if I understand this.

The UK left the biggest and richest Free Trade Area in the history of mankind...

...in order to...

...match up with Thailand (13 coups), Myanmar (Military attacking its own citizens), Cambodia (Hun Sen stripping away Human Rights left, right, and center), Vietnam (One of the few Commie regimes left), Malaysia (decades of rigged elections), Singapore (the Lee Family Holdings), Indonesia (giving Thailand a run for the money corruption-wise and bureaucracy-wise) Laos (Home of a GIANT economy) Brunei (Hard-core Muslim) and the Philippines (Home of Duterte's Death squads).

Strategic thinking at its finest. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

"'The British Foreign Secretary, Liz Truss, will visit Thailand as part of a Southeast Asia trip that will also see her travel to Malaysia and Indonesia. According to a Reuters report, the purpose of the week-long trip is to strengthen the UK’s economic and security ties in the region.

The UK is increasingly looking to countries beyond Europe as it seeks to forge ties with other regions, following its controversial departure from the EU. Truss says the Southeast Asia visit reflects the region’s importance to Britain.

“I want to position Britain where the future growth is and to think about who our major partners will be in 2050 and beyond. Southeast Asia will be the engine of the global economy and I want Britain to be part of that, upgrading our economic and security relations with the region to reflect its growing importance.”'

So, let me see if I understand this.

The UK left the biggest and richest Free Trade Area in the history of mankind...

...in order to...

...match up with Thailand (13 coups), Myanmar (Military attacking its own citizens), Cambodia (Hun Sen stripping away Human Rights left, right, and center), Vietnam (One of the few Commie regimes left), Malaysia (decades of rigged elections), Singapore (the Lee Family Holdings), Indonesia (giving Thailand a run for the money corruption-wise and bureaucracy-wise) Laos (Home of a GIANT economy) Brunei (Hard-core Muslim) and the Philippines (Home of Duterte's Death squads).

Strategic thinking at its finest. 

You have got that spot on with one exception. Liz Truss has never holidayed in SE Asia.

Hope she got her Thailand Pass sorted, SHA hotel and PCR Test booked.

Stupid me that's only for real people not Elite Government Flunkies....

• Like 4

I did comment today that one of the revealing outcomes of this pandemic has been the double standards, the pandemic has revealed....just another example.

• Like 2

I am sure she will be much better equipped for the job that the last Foreign Sec to visit the region was,

He was caught on an open mic asking the UK Ambassador to Myanmar, whether he thought the locals might like to hear him quote a few verses from "The Road to Mandalay"? The Ambassador told him that he did not think that would be a good idea. British Diplomats are famous for understatement.

In case you are wondering who this crass individual was, he later went on to become PM. His trip was hurriedly arranged because when the gov confirmed that there was going to be a third runway at LHR, he was faced with keeping his promise of lying down in front of the bulldozers to prevent this. But as no man can be in two places at the same time.....

In case you are still wondering, it was Bojo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

I am sure she will be much better equipped for the job that the last Foreign Sec to visit the region was,

He was caught on an open mic asking the UK Ambassador to Myanmar, whether he thought the locals might like to hear him quote a few verses from "The Road to Mandalay"? The Ambassador told him that he did not think that would be a good idea. British Diplomats are famous for understatement.

In case you are wondering who this crass individual was, he later went on to become PM. His trip was hurriedly arranged because when the gov confirmed that there was going to be a third runway at LHR, he was faced with keeping his promise of lying down in front of the bulldozers to prevent this. But as no man can be in two places at the same time.....

In case you are still wondering, it was Bojo.

Yes he should have been an actor in the play about Sir Thomas More except in Bojos case it would have been called " A prat for All Seasons"

9 minutes ago, gummy said:

Yes he should have been an actor in the play about Sir Thomas More except in Bojos case it would have been called " A prat for All Seasons"

In the leading role no less.

41 minutes ago, gummy said:

32 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

In the leading role no less.

I really must object.

Sir Thomas Moore never said things like "Snort Waffle-Waffle Snort" or "Biggllie Oom-Dorf!" or "Whiff-Whaff Throotle Doink".

And, he certainly never uttered phrases like" Madam, your breasts are finer than Cicero's speeches!" or "I Speaketh Directoth out fromer my Recti!".

Sir Thomas Moore deserves better than this comparison.

Much better.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

I really must object.

Sir Thomas Moore never said things like "Snort Waffle-Waffle Snort" or "Biggllie Oom-Dorf!" or "Whiff-Whaff Throotle Doink".

And, he certainly never uttered phrases like" Madam, your breasts are finer than Cicero's speeches!" or "I Speaketh Directoth out fromer my Recti!".

Sir Thomas Moore deserves better than this comparison.

Much better.

The problem with Robert Bolt, is that he forgot to include a court jester in his play. 

14 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

The UK left the biggest and richest Free Trade Area in the history of mankind..

Unfortunately that was as a consequence  of the U.K. voting to leave the biggest group of unelected people who were trying to make EU countries a United Stare of Europe. In order to take back control of our laws, taxation and immigration, we had no other option but to leave. Had the EU remained the Common Market, which was what we voted to join in 1974 and one of the worlds largest trading blocs, then we would have remained a part of the bloc. Basically it was a plain choice of remain a sovereign nation and loose the trading bloc, or roll over and let the Germans and Germans banks dictate to what takes place in the U.K. We chose freedom.