Jump to content

Cost of Australia holding each refugee on Nauru balloons to $4.3m a year


PBS
 Share

Recommended Posts

Australia currently pays about $40m a month to run its offshore processing regime on Nauru, an amount almost identical to 2016 when there were nearly 10 times as many people held on the island.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/nov/07/cost-of-australia-holding-each-refugee-on-nauru-balloons-to-43m-a-year?utm_term=61872513944fac407cda51fd9a4815a8&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayAUS&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTAU_email

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Difficult to put a monetary figure on keeping Australians safe in their homeland. Before coming to a judgement on your post, I would like to see comparisons of keeping them on Nauru with the cost of putting Merkel lego (ugly huge concrete blocks) to stop guests going on car rampages in every pedestrian area across Oz. Increasing anti terrorist police, increased cost of jailing terrorists, the cost of an increased fear among society and the ramifications of that. What would be the total cost if Oz did the same as the UK and USA and freely allowed illegals to cross into the country and then scoop up benefits for life while being allowed to invite all their extended family too? How many would drown making the journey in small boats from Indonesia to Australia? 

But still, $4 million per person is insane. Sounds like they need a new company in charge of maintaining the Nauru camp.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Guardian is a left win nutter media outlet dedicated to inclusion and all the other liberal lunancy, and it supports the free movement of people anywhere they like.  Think Fox news for the right nutters.

The majority of costs for the detention centres (all of them) is largely fixed - if there was 20,000 detainees in detention then the costs per illegal would be far far lower.  There are not that many detainees right now for one main reason - guess.  What was clearly shown in the past was that the costs of allowing illegals to enter the country and gain all those legal rights and all their ongoing social welfare costs, far outweighed locking them away while theior cases are heard. 

Meanwhile millions of refugees wait patiently in UN sanctioned refugee camps all over the World, after applying to go to another country.  Every illegal who pays human tafficers to get them to Australia and is successful, takes the spot of one of those waiting in a UN camp. At the end of 2019 there were 80 million refugees in UN camps worldwide. Allowing people claiming to be refugees to freely go wherever they want has been proven to be a disaster - see Europe.  

Refugee resettlement to Australia: what are the facts? – Parliament of Australia (aph.gov.au)

About the refugee and humanitarian program (homeaffairs.gov.au)

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Difficult to put a monetary figure on keeping Australians safe in their homeland. Before coming to a judgement on your post, I would like to see comparisons of keeping them on Nauru with the cost of putting Merkel lego (ugly huge concrete blocks) to stop guests going on car rampages in every pedestrian area across Oz. Increasing anti terrorist police, increased cost of jailing terrorists, the cost of an increased fear among society and the ramifications of that. What would be the total cost if Oz did the same as the UK and USA and freely allowed illegals to cross into the country and then scoop up benefits for life while being allowed to invite all their extended family too? How many would drown making the journey in small boats from Indonesia to Australia? 

But still, $4 million per person is insane. Sounds like they need a new company in charge of maintaining the Nauru camp.

Your usual nonsense, you obviously know nothing about Australian welfare and asylum policy.

The only targeted killing of pedestrians by vehicle in Oz was by a drug addicted Greek - three murdered - no terror affiliation. Not one of those held on Nauru have been identified by security forces of terror association, even after years of assessment. Most held on Nauru have been taken in by the US, no reports of terror attacks as an outcome.

Australia has approx 620k Muslim residents, with with comparatively very few deaths from Islamist terror over the decades., though every Islamist murder is unacceptable. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_Australia

By way of comparison comparison around 50 women are murdered every year, nearly all by "whites" Perhaps it's a good idea to analyse which countries the killers originate from, then put in place migrant bans for the top three source countries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/8/2021 at 2:50 PM, PBS said:

Your usual nonsense, you obviously know nothing about Australian welfare and asylum policy.

The only targeted killing of pedestrians by vehicle in Oz was by a drug addicted Greek - three murdered - no terror affiliation. Not one of those held on Nauru have been identified by security forces of terror association, even after years of assessment. Most held on Nauru have been taken in by the US, no reports of terror attacks as an outcome.

Australia has approx 620k Muslim residents, with with comparatively very few deaths from Islamist terror over the decades., though every Islamist murder is unacceptable. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_Australia

By way of comparison comparison around 50 women are murdered every year, nearly all by "whites" Perhaps it's a good idea to analyse which countries the killers originate from, then put in place migrant bans for the top three source countries.

PBS I tend to agree with you, but you obviously do not know all the reasons why there is so few genuine terrorist attacks in Australia.  The 'security agencies' in Australia are world's best when it comes to identifying and monitoring major security threats - that is a big factor - it is not just the fact that the vast majority of Muslims in Australia are peaceful people.  The last 3 'attacks' on that list you provided are Muslims, but as you also pointed out they are a very small majority of 'attacks' and 'violence' in Australia.  However, what you also pointed out is very true - there is an high correlation between 'crime' statistics and migrants from a few certain countries. But to 'discriminate' against migrants from those countries  officially would be very 'complicated', so what actually happens is that all applications from those 'identified' countries are analysed and investigated 'extremely harshly'.  Australia is lucky - a lot less locations for the 'troubled ones' and a lot less 'human rights' activist laws and rights and a lot less 'judicial investigative' powers for NGOs (they cannot easily sue anyone in Court).  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

PBS I tend to agree with you, but you obviously do not know all the reasons why there is so few genuine terrorist attacks in Australia.  The 'security agencies' in Australia are world's best when it comes to identifying and monitoring major security threats - that is a big factor - it is not just the fact that the vast majority of Muslims in Australia are peaceful people.  The last 3 'attacks' on that list you provided are Muslims, but as you also pointed out they are a very small majority of 'attacks' and 'violence' in Australia.  However, what you also pointed out is very true - there is an high correlation between 'crime' statistics and migrants from a few certain countries. But to 'discriminate' against migrants from those countries  officially would be very 'complicated', so what actually happens is that all applications from those 'identified' countries are analysed and investigated 'extremely harshly'.  Australia is lucky - a lot less locations for the 'troubled ones' and a lot less 'human rights' activist laws and rights and a lot less 'judicial investigative' powers for NGOs (they cannot easily sue anyone in Court).  

Thank you Bob.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

The 'security agencies' in Australia are world's best when it comes to identifying and monitoring major security threats -

Not so sure about that claim, believe the Israelis or Brits may dispute.

 

Edited by PBS
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, PBS said:

Not so sure about that claim, believe the Israelis or Brits may dispute.

Within Australia - absolutely - but as stated they have a lot of advantages other countries don't have.  But including across other countries/places, yes you are right - and Australia is way down on that list. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2021 at 9:48 AM, AussieBob said:

PBS I tend to agree with you, but you obviously do not know all the reasons why there is so few genuine terrorist attacks in Australia.  The 'security agencies' in Australia are world's best when it comes to identifying and monitoring major security threats - that is a big factor - it is not just the fact that the vast majority of Muslims in Australia are peaceful people.  The last 3 'attacks' on that list you provided are Muslims, but as you also pointed out they are a very small majority of 'attacks' and 'violence' in Australia.  However, what you also pointed out is very true - there is an high correlation between 'crime' statistics and migrants from a few certain countries. But to 'discriminate' against migrants from those countries  officially would be very 'complicated', so what actually happens is that all applications from those 'identified' countries are analysed and investigated 'extremely harshly'.  Australia is lucky - a lot less locations for the 'troubled ones' and a lot less 'human rights' activist laws and rights and a lot less 'judicial investigative' powers for NGOs (they cannot easily sue anyone in Court).  

Crime by immigrants in Australia is probably lower because the locals have already taken all the best jobs 😍.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Money well spent by Australia a little bit of tough love by the Australian government during Operation Sovereign Borders saved a lot of lives and smashed the Human Trafficking networks. 

Now I wish they have a similar policy in my own native UK right now all asylum seekers moved to West Falklands for offshore processing.

And while there at it all the UK Prison population moved to East Falklands and moved to The Isle of Wright Prison by ship 28 days prior to the completion of the sentence for discharge procedures.

Kill two birds with one stone deter illegal immigration and cut down criminal reoffending rates and create jobs and recoup some off the Millions of pounds a year The British Government is spending on The Falklands. 

 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, 23RD said:

Money well spent by Australia a little bit of tough love by the Australian government during Operation Sovereign Borders saved a lot of lives and smashed the Human Trafficking networks. 

Now I wish they have a similar policy in my own native UK right now all asylum seekers moved to West Falklands for offshore processing.

And while there at it all the UK Prison population moved to East Falklands and moved to The Isle of Wright Prison by ship 28 days prior to the completion of the sentence for discharge procedures.

Kill two birds with one stone deter illegal immigration and cut down criminal reoffending rates and create jobs and recoup some off the Millions of pounds a year The British Government is spending on The Falklands. 

Illegal immigration which has got worse since you and your mates all voted for Brexit 😂

Taking back control eh?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

Illegal immigration which has got worse since you and your mates all voted for Brexit 😂

Taking back control eh?

The Nationality and Borders Bill is in the process now Buddy that should solve most problems.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, 23RD said:

The Nationality and Borders Bill is in the process now Buddy that should solve most problems.

Yeah thats how to solve problems. Just offshore it.

Just like your superiors do with their tax obligations.

Get your face out of the mud and move. You have been lied to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Get your face out of the mud and move. You have been lied to.

Maybe better if you wakeup and smell the coffee Buddy you seem to be in some sort off left wing nightmare.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, 23RD said:

Maybe better if you wakeup and smell the coffee Buddy you seem to be in some sort off left wing nightmare.

Typical. Lost for reasoned argument you simply come out with some slackers reply.

Go watch the dixies. I hope you can manage that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Nationality and Borders Act contravenes HMG obligations under international law i.e. UN Convention for Refugees. IMO any country enacting such domestic law should be removed as a signatory to the UN Convention with the resultant erosion of international status regarding jurisprudence. A Law Society Press Release addressing this matter:

https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/contact-or-visit-us/press-office/press-releases/is-the-uk-blowing-its-reputation-for-justice

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, 23RD said:

Maybe better if you wakeup and smell the coffee Buddy you seem to be in some sort off left wing nightmare.

Some of them just never wake up buddy - so many of them are lost in their delusions and unicorns - best to just ignore them.

Fact - what you said about Australia saving lives by enforcing immigration laws and detaining illegal entries offshore.  Under the previous lefty Govt in Australia, hundreds (maybe thousands) of illegal entries died at seas when their boats collapsed and sunk.  Closing the 'loophole' in Immigration laws by detaining and deporting them offshore for processing, saved hundreds (maybe thousands) of lives, because the boats stopped coming. 

Quick questions for the lefties :- Why do 'refugees' pay people smugglers to take them from a country over 1000kms away, going past many UN sanctioned refugee camps, and going past countries with UN refugee support, so that they can land illegally and claim asylum in Australia?  What about the millions of refugees who escaped from oppression and are currently legally waiting in UN Refugee Camps all over the world? 

  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Some of them just never wake up buddy - so many of them are lost in their delusions and unicorns - best to just ignore them.

Fact - what you said about Australia saving lives by enforcing immigration laws and detaining illegal entries offshore.  Under the previous lefty Govt in Australia, hundreds (maybe thousands) of illegal entries died at seas when their boats collapsed and sunk.  Closing the 'loophole' in Immigration laws by detaining and deporting them offshore for processing, saved hundreds (maybe thousands) of lives, because the boats stopped coming. 

Quick questions for the lefties :- Why do 'refugees' pay people smugglers to take them from a country over 1000kms away, going past many UN sanctioned refugee camps, and going past countries with UN refugee support, so that they can land illegally and claim asylum in Australia?  What about the millions of refugees who escaped from oppression and are currently legally waiting in UN Refugee Camps all over the world? 

Good post there Bob Buddy In reality if you take away the emotions illegal Immigration is a crime People are abused indebted for life to traffickers and it funds other criminal and nafarious activities. 

Operation Sovereign Borders was a model of have to do it the right way and save life's and I hope the UK adopts a similar policy (but I'm not holding my breath).

And the biggest victims of illegal immigration are legitimate refugees who are using the system in a legal manner. 

I also blame the various NGO'S and left wing organisations for promoting illegal Immigration the deaths on route are on their hands.

At the moment The Greek government is prosecuting 24 such nafarious individuals for assisting illegal Immigration from Turkey to Greece I hope this will be a test case for future prosecutions of these left wing virtue signallars .

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In Australia it was a Labor government that enacted the policy for offshore Processing for asylum seekers. Overview of Australia's offshore processing for asylum seekers below. However, it should be noted under the UN Convention for refugees, signed and ratified by Australia, offshore detention is actually  contrary to the Convention.

Kevin Rudd made a surprise announcement on 19 July 2013 that Australia had entered into a Regional Resettlement Arrangement with PNG. Under the Arrangement, all (not just some) asylum seekers who arrive by boat would be transferred to PNG for processing and settlement in PNG and in any other participating regional State. He subsequently made a similar Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Nauru.

https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/rp1617/Quick_Guides/Offshore

I would be interested to read, in relation to asylum seekers, travelling to Australia via transit counties which countries actually provide UN Convention for Refugees legal recognition and support for vetted refugees, I believe the answer is - zero. 

Regards vetted refugees residing in UN facilities around the world, there is not a 'queue' for resettlement.  One can calculate how long it would take to be resettled if waiting in a 'queue' from the stats below.

"Fewer than one per cent of the world's refugees are resettled each year, or roughly 108,000 of the 20 million refugees under the UNHCR's mandate in 2019".

Sadly governments around the world have yet to come up with an effective resettlement solution for those fleeing discrimination, oppression and conflict. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, 23RD said:

Good post there Bob Buddy In reality if you take away the emotions illegal Immigration is a crime People are abused indebted for life to traffickers and it funds other criminal and nafarious activities. 

Operation Sovereign Borders was a model of have to do it the right way and save life's and I hope the UK adopts a similar policy (but I'm not holding my breath).

And the biggest victims of illegal immigration are legitimate refugees who are using the system in a legal manner. 

I also blame the various NGO'S and left wing organisations for promoting illegal Immigration the deaths on route are on their hands.

At the moment The Greek government is prosecuting 24 such nafarious individuals for assisting illegal Immigration from Turkey to Greece I hope this will be a test case for future prosecutions of these left wing virtue signallars .

Utter nonsense. As usual blaming everyone but themselves for the root cause of the massive influx of illegal immigrants heading to the UK.

Brexit.

Prior to Brexit immigrants were processed in France. Brexit ended that arrangement. So if anyone is responsible for the deaths in the channel its those who voted for it.

  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PBS said:

In Australia it was a Labor government that enacted the policy for offshore Processing for asylum seekers. Overview of Australia's offshore processing for asylum seekers below. However, it should be noted under the UN Convention for refugees, signed and ratified by Australia, offshore detention is actually  contrary to the Convention.

Kevin Rudd made a surprise announcement on 19 July 2013 that Australia had entered into a Regional Resettlement Arrangement with PNG. Under the Arrangement, all (not just some) asylum seekers who arrive by boat would be transferred to PNG for processing and settlement in PNG and in any other participating regional State. He subsequently made a similar Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Nauru.

https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/rp1617/Quick_Guides/Offshore

I would be interested to read, in relation to asylum seekers, travelling to Australia via transit counties which countries actually provide UN Convention for Refugees legal recognition and support for vetted refugees, I believe the answer is - zero. 

Regards vetted refugees residing in UN facilities around the world, there is not a 'queue' for resettlement.  One can calculate how long it would take to be resettled if waiting in a 'queue' from the stats below.

"Fewer than one per cent of the world's refugees are resettled each year, or roughly 108,000 of the 20 million refugees under the UNHCR's mandate in 2019".

Sadly governments around the world have yet to come up with an effective resettlement solution for those fleeing discrimination, oppression and conflict. 

Sorry PBS - you are completely wrong.

John Howard started the 'offshore solution' for illegal immigrants. https://www.sbs.com.au/news/a-history-of-australia-s-offshore-detention-policy/f3b56cbd-f396-41df-ba54-2d4b6735eb9c  In response to thousands illegally entering and then using the 'system' (and NGOs) to appeal and appeal and appeal when rejected costing the Aust taxpayer billions every year. 

There are a lot of refugees settled in Australia from UN camps - look it up yourself. I worked with one guy from Iran and he hated the illegals - he and his family waited 7 years in a UN camp. 

The vast majority are not 'fleeing' - they are seeking a better life - they wont apply to migrate and wait, so they come illegally.  Sadly first world Govts are yet to come up with a solution to all the illegal immigrants claiming to be refugees.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Prior to Brexit immigrants were processed in France. Brexit ended that arrangement. So if anyone is responsible for the deaths in the channel its those who voted for it

BREXIT voters didn't vote for Human Trafficking but the left love it (as long as they don't have to live next door to them).

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 23RD said:

BREXIT voters didn't vote for Human Trafficking but the left love it (as long as they don't have to live next door to them).

Hahahahah pure quality. Brexiteers blaming the left for the problems they have created with their decision to vote leave.

Utterly delusional.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Hahahahah pure quality. Brexiteers blaming the left for the problems they have created with their decision to vote leave.

Utterly delusional.

I'm proud to have voted to leave the EUSSR.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 23RD said:

I'm proud to have voted to leave the EUSSR.

Then be proud of the immigration problems you have created then.

And the deaths.

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use