News Forum - Phuket officials prepare for road accidents with 17 new banners

Thaiger

Phuket disaster officials are working on a public awareness campaign to try to reduce road accidents, especially with an expected influx of tourists after Thailand’s reopening on November 1. The plans were drawn up in Phuket Town at the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Center Region 18 headquarters during a meeting of the Phuket Road Safety Committee. The meeting was called to discuss efforts to reduce and prevent road accidents in Phuket, especially during several upcoming holidays. The meeting was chaired by the Phuket Provincial Office Chief Administrative Officer who said that with travel restrictions relaxing, more and more […]

The story Phuket officials prepare for road accidents with 17 new banners as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Phuket officials prepare for road accidents with 17 new banners

17 new banners - we're all saved!

Policeman: How did the accident occur?
Injured motorist: I was reading the road safety banner when I ran off the road.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

11 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

I'd solder any that turn up to their bikes and give them anti crash amulets .. 

False promises!  You had earlier offered "bhajis all around"😀

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

!7 new banners - we're all saved!

Policeman: How did the accident occur?
Injured motorist: I was reading the road safety banner when I ran off the road.

Think that is a misprint explained by the fact 50% of the the additional tourists   will be foreign females so hence it should read "Phuket officials prepare for road accidents with 17 new boners"

22 minutes ago, Brownie said:

False promises!  You had earlier offered "bhajis all around"😀

Perhaps it was a statement? Bhajis are all round, never seen a square one yet.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Making it a banner year. How cute. 

Perhaps make it a driving licence 'ban a year' for every transgression?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Interesting stats, where even without the tourists, accidents and deaths are still high. I wonder if this is to coincide with the story on the Thaiger today that 275 Russians just arrived??

Tips to survive the Phuket drive.....

1. Wear a helmet

2. Obey the speed limit it's 50 kms/hour.... less when cornering.

3. The brakes aren't as good as you think they are!

4. Avoid young Thai Males on high powered motorbikes...especially the ones not wearing a helmet or any protective gear (they are an accident waiting for somewhere to happen).

5. Turn you headlight on ....motorists have a chance of seeing you.

6. Avoid tourists on mopeds, who drive with a speed wobble, even at low speeds (need I say more).

7. Don't laugh when you see people with bandaged or plastered arms and legs.....if you don't take care and have not read points 1-6....you're next!!!

I'm sure we could all come up with a whole list of things police could do...more than the 17 banners. I can't control that. But I can drive defensively and there's no rush.....I'm on holiday ....remember :)

19 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm sure we could all come up with a whole list of things police could do...more than the 17 banners. I can't control that. But I can drive defensively and there's no rush.....I'm on holiday ....remember :)

Driving defensively will not save you from the Thai male pick-up drivers.  Remember they target fixed electric poles , parked vehicles and stationery motor cycles on a regular basis. 

21 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Phuket disaster officials are working on a public awareness campaign to try to reduce road accidents, especially with an expected influx of tourists after Thailand’s reopening on November 1. The plans were drawn up in Phuket Town at the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Center Region 18 headquarters during a meeting of the Phuket Road Safety Committee. The meeting was called to discuss efforts to reduce and prevent road accidents in Phuket, especially during several upcoming holidays. The meeting was chaired by the Phuket Provincial Office Chief Administrative Officer who said that with travel restrictions relaxing, more and more […]

The story Phuket officials prepare for road accidents with 17 new banners as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

When drivers in Phuket (and throughout Thailand) blatantly ignore road signs and road markings, why do they think that displaying 17 banners at various points on the island will have any impact on reducing road accidents?!  There are already far too many unnecessary signs at the side and over the roads in Phuket to distract drivers' attention; the last thing needed for road safety are more banners.

If they're serious about reducing road accidents, start with enforcement of existing laws governing moving motoring offences such as driving on the wrong side of the road, overtaking where not permitted, jumping red traffic lights, speeding, sudden lane changing without signalling, not giving way on a roundabout, etc., etc. Attitude to road safety is a cultural attribute; it takes time, effort and persistence to change peoples' habits and behaviour. 17 banners will have no beneficial impact.

I have no knowledge of the licensing laws and testing regimes are in Thailand for Thais. In my own country, it's highly regulated and enforced (that still doesn't stop all accidents). Try 100 hours as a learner (log booked on a state govt phone app). You can't get a learner's permit without passing a road rules exam. You can't apply for a driving test until 12 months from the issuing of the learner's permit. Then you have a provisional license for two years, before you can get an open license. During that time you have a blood alcohol limit of zero.  

15 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

If they're serious about reducing road accidents, start with enforcement of existing laws governing moving motoring offences such as driving on the wrong side of the road, overtaking where not permitted, jumping red traffic lights, speeding, sudden lane changing without signalling, not giving way on a roundabout, etc., etc. Attitude to road safety is a cultural attribute; it takes time, effort and persistence to change peoples' habits and behaviour. 17 banners will have no beneficial impact.

Too hard -17 banners easier.

23 minutes ago, Jason said:

I have no knowledge of the licensing laws and testing regimes are in Thailand for Thais

No worries, not many Thais have either hence the number of accidents 😂 

21 minutes ago, Jason said:

I have no knowledge of the licensing laws and testing regimes are in Thailand for Thais. In my own country, it's highly regulated and enforced (that still doesn't stop all accidents). Try 100 hours as a learner (log booked on a state govt phone app). You can't get a learner's permit without passing a road rules exam. You can't apply for a driving test until 12 months from the issuing of the learner's permit. Then you have a provisional license for two years, before you can get an open license. During that time you have a blood alcohol limit of zero.  

Asked a Thai girl once if she has a car driving licence she said "yes, did 12 hours school for drive already"

Asked if she had bike licence "no, not tell me can get same time"