News Forum - Paxlovid by Pfizer reduces Covid-19 hospitalisation, death by 89%

Thaiger

Hot on the tail of Merck winning approval for use in the UK for its anti-viral Molnupiravir pill treatment, Pfizer announced yesterday that clinical trials show their new drug, Paxlovid, to be highly effective in treating Covid-19. The pharmaceutical giant was quick to point out that their pill was developed with the specific goal of fighting Covid-19, unlike the Merck medication which was originally intended to combat influenza. Tests show that hospitalisation and death among adult patients with Covid-19 who are considered high risk of severe symptoms were reduced by up to 89% with Paxlovid. In fact, as Pfizer moves […]

The story Paxlovid by Pfizer reduces Covid-19 hospitalisation, death by 89% as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

30 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

This topic seems to appear and disappear today...

Already reported yesterday too:

https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/7753-pfizer-new-antiviral-covid-treatment/?do=findComment&comment=99625

Great thing is Once production is set up these can be produced in the millions per day..its just what they cost after they get their development costs back

20 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

Great thing is Once production is set up these can be produced in the millions per day..its just what they cost after they get their development costs back

Don't know if I want millions, or I won't eat my dinner 🤭

Seriously, it's already been reported that they will charge wealthier countries more than poorer ones, a bit like MSD does with Molnupiravir and also that they will allow generics to be made (already have contracts for that and in discussion about more).

So once it's temporarily authorised or approved, it could go quickly.

• Thanks 1

This is great news. I feel that vaccines are good but there needs to be therapeutics as well. With AIDS we only got control after effective therapeutics. 

Viruses have a nasty problem of mutating around vaccines and sometimes arevdrug resistant, but having a  two pronged approach is really good news. 

Just now, kmc said:

So we got a vaccine (or 3 actually) and many effective treatments.  Can we stop suffocating ourselves w/ infective masks now?  

We "have" vaccines that not everyone has been offered yet.

And we "have" treatments that are not actually available here yet.

In other words: NO.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Keep double-masking buddy.  Surgical masks reduce risk of infection by 10%: what they don't mention is that this is only for a limited time period.   Everyone will eventually get/be exposed to Covid.  

But you're right — life should be zero risk and with the only risk in life being Covid — we must all cower and do everything we can to DELAY the inevitable — getting sick by covid.  Make sense?  The answer: YES.

• Like 1

Just now, kmc said:

Keep double-masking buddy.  Surgical masks reduce risk of infection by 10%: what they don't mention is that this is only for a limited time period.   Everyone will eventually get/be exposed to Covid.  

But you're right — life should be zero risk and with the only risk in life being Covid — we must all cower and do everything we can to DELAY the inevitable — getting sick by covid.  Make sense?  The answer: YES.

Repeating selective and already debunked disinformation just shows how uninformed you are.

We got to where we are with lots of preventative measures.

And Thailand still has a very low protection rate from vaccines. Even in countries where the vaccination rate is double ours, they are re-introducing measures like masks as the health services are overloaded.

Thailand has 100.000 people in hospital because of Covid, 2000 people in ICU and 450 on ventilators.

Keep trolling buddy 👍 If you're wilfully not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Have a little patience.  Vaccine rollout is going smoothly where I live and people asked about it in normal conversation. Very good acceptance. The therapeutics are new but will come soon. My hats off to the Thai Public Health department for doing an outstanding job.

Just now, LoongFred said:

Have a little patience.  Vaccine rollout is going smoothly where I live and people asked about it in normal conversation. Very good acceptance. The therapeutics are new but will come soon. My hats off to the Thai Public Health department for doing an outstanding job.

I think differentiating between the vaccine procurement and handling of the pandemic on one side and the handling of the vaccination drive by the PHD with whatever they've been provided with on the other side, is fair enough.

Still, the level of vaccination is far too low to let go of other preventative measures and Thailand should learn from other countries who have had this experience months earlier due to their vaccination drive starting earlier.

As regards the treatments being available here shortly, I'm sceptical and wouldn't let go of other measures yet just because medication "may" arrive.

Only Molnupiravir has supposedly been ordered, but that means nothing here with cancellations and re-negotiations. It also hasn't been approved here yet. And at the price the government claims they pay for it, I'd like to see who'd actually receive it...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kmc said:

So we got a vaccine (or 3 actually) and many effective treatments.  Can we stop suffocating ourselves w/ infective masks now?  

Don’t hold your breath 

• Like 1

I wonder if they did sperm counts during the trials?

Since it inhibits replication and its actually human cell mechanics that the virus uses to replicat, that should mean it also inhibits normal cell replication. Since sperm manufacture immediately comes to mind and is a continous process, the little fellows produced by the zillions, then ergo, male fertiiity is gonna drop like the proverbial brick.

Another nail in the human race coffin!

3 hours ago, Disenfranchised said:

Since it inhibits replication and its actually human cell mechanics that the virus uses to replicat, that should mean it also inhibits normal cell replication. Since sperm manufacture immediately comes to mind and is a continous process, the little fellows produced by the zillions, then ergo, male fertiiity is gonna drop like the proverbial brick.

How many sperm we give girls per time, but only one make baby and not every time.

Don't worry, bro 😉

3 hours ago, Disenfranchised said:

Mind me asking why sperm manufacturing immediately came to mind for you?

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1

4 hours ago, Disenfranchised said:

Nicely dreamt up scare story, but the working of this antiviral drug has nothing to do with replication of human cells and doesn't interfere with it. It's a specific SARS-Cov-2-3CL protease inhibitor.

• Like 3

Great to see the modern medical industry coming up with new and better tyreatments for Covid - both vaccines and in-hospital treatment like Paxlovid.  I hope the Thai Govt does/has not order too many of the  Merk pills - they are a modified anti-viral medication for Influenza. This Pfizer developed anti-virul medication is specifically designed from the ground up to treat Covid - they should order millions of them.