Helicopters

spicy_girl

I am just wondering are there any helicopter pilots here? Or anyone interested in helicopters? If yes, you can share here. I worked in pilot training and I am interested in all helicopter things. Bell, McDonnell Douglas, Sikorsky… let’s discuss :)

• Like 2

I have flown in two in my life - the first was a crazy ride following racing cars around a circuit so the helicopter was going round the same bends as the cars (but obviously in the air) and everything was mad. Clearly a very skilled pilot.

Second time I got one was to fly to the Grand Canyon, one straight journey, no ups, no downs, no sudden manoeuvres, and I have never been so sick in all my life !! When it was time to go back I nearly said just leave me here with the snakes and the scorpions and I'll walk back !!

• Like 2

Not a pilot but have been in a few at various times for one reason or another. The craziest ones I have ever seen are the pilots out on the Australian cattle stations where helicopters are often used for mustering cattle or helping with catching buffalo, like in the following video.

Most of those are one person units. But I did once go up in a 2 person one on a cattle property when I was younger and it still is the scariest ride I have ever been on!

• Like 2

Early '80's I'd often go up in the boss's 2-seat Robinson. doors off, to snap photos of his new marina development.  Afterwards we'd go for a joy ride along the Gold Coast and skim the deserted northern beaches along the surf line.  A lot of fun.  

Been up in many twin engine models since, but nothing as exciting as that little Robinson.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Smithydog said:

Not a pilot but have been in a few at various times for one reason or another. The craziest ones I have ever seen are the pilots out on the Australian cattle stations where helicopters are often used for mustering cattle or helping with catching buffalo, like in the following video.

Most of those are one person units. But I did once go up in a 2 person one on a cattle property when I was younger and it still is the scariest ride I have ever been on!

OMG very Aussie English 🤣🤣🤣 Nice helicopters.. jet ranger, Bell 47 II.

10 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Early '80's I'd often go up in the boss's 2-seat Robinson. doors off, to snap photos of his new marina development.  Afterwards we'd go for a joy ride along the Gold Coast and skim the deserted northern beaches along the surf line.  A lot of fun.  

Been up in many twin engine models since, but nothing as exciting as that little Robinson.

I don’t know about Robinson Kaptain Rob, only Robinson Mall :))

My previous job was flight training coordinator, dispatch pilots to Florida, Malaysia, Brisbane, Italy for flight and maintenance training. We didn’t have any Robinson helis :(

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spicy_girl said:

I don’t know about Robinson Kaptain Rob, only Robinson Mall :))

Typical girl 🥴, well ... maybe not quite 🤓   Jo likes Robinson/Central Malls .. and helicopters >

spacer.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

I like Jo already! Great photo 🤣 

I have 12,800 hours as a pilot, all fixed wing.  You would have to drag me in chains, and heavily sedate me,  to get me into a helicopter.   They defy the laws of normal engineering and aerodynamics, witnessed by the number that seem to end up as broken heaps on the ground.  No thanks. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

I have 12,800 hours as a pilot, all fixed wing.  You would have to drag me in chains, and heavily sedate me,  to get me into a helicopter.   They defy the laws of normal engineering and aerodynamics, witnessed by the number that seem to end up as broken heaps on the ground.  No thanks. 

Well guess as an experienced pilot you also avoid most other forms of transportation as well then as they have a higher death index;

Transportation mode Death index
Airlines 1
Intercity rail (Amtrak) 20.0
Scheduled charter flights 34.3
Mass transit (rail and bus) 49.8
Non-scheduled charter flights 59.5
Non-scheduled helicopter flights 63.0
General aviation (like private planes) 271.7
Driving or riding in a car/SUV 453.6

https://thepointsguy.com/news/are-helicopters-safe-how-they-stack-up-against-planes-cars-and-trains/

5 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

With you on that ! I am not a pilot  but in my younger years I had a friend of a friend who ran a business servicing and repairing helicopters.  He also had  two fixed wing aircraft of his own that I willingly took a couple of short flights in. It was when he mentioned the "Jesus Nut" on helicopters I chose to stay on the ground ! That and viewing the mangled remains of more than one chopper at the back of his hanger.

Sadly he died test flying an auto gyro for another friend who was thinking of  buying it !

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 10:17 PM, Pinetree said:

Hi Pinetree, I respect your opinion and I respect your experience. 12,800 hours is a lot. I understand the fixed wing pilots do not like helcopters sometimes. Helicopters are important because they can do the thing fixed wing cannot. For example the cattle farm video in this topic, or city fixed point to point transport. Regards, SG

On 11/10/2021 at 1:21 AM, spicy_girl said:

Grand canyon flight uses the A-Star. Six-seater. Should be a smooth ride @Benroon, what did the pilot do?🤣🤣🤣

No idea - but when we got down I was a very strange shade of green !!

Only time I've ever been travel sick

• Haha 1