News Forum - Recently reopened schools closed again after Covid infections found

Thaiger

3 schools around Thailand have closed due to suspected Covid-19 clusters after recently reopening on Monday. Teachers, students, and school officials were found to be infected with Covid, prompting the recent shutdowns. Thoen Technology Vocational College in Thoen district of Lampang Province has been shuttered for 1 month after 10 students tested positive for Covid. Proactive health screening showed that 1 out of 83 of those vocational students tested positive for the virus via RT-PCR tests on October 29. That student was reportedly living in a dormitory with another 13 students who were considered to be high-risk for Covid. Health […]

The story Recently reopened schools closed again after Covid infections found as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I mentioned two days ago and again yesterday that schools in Khon Kaen are also closed for a week. I’m not sure to what extent but certainly schools in the city centre are. Now this is reported also. It will be going on up and down the country. 

Its just another example of either arrogance or stupidity by the Thai government. It’s happened in all countries where there has been low vaccination levels and even with high vaccination levels (most kids unvaccinated).  So why or how did Thailand think they were going to be any different? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

That student was reportedly living in a dormitory with another 13 students who were considered to be high-risk for Covid.

no way, didn't they get SHA approval for dormitory? restaurants have to... that SHA sticker will protect you from virus, trust me

• Haha 2

This isn't exactly unexpected, but... is the answer to shut them all down again? If not, what would you suggest?

Thailand, for right or wrong, has made a decision to re-open and get on with life. In that decision, there are going to be outbreaks, there are going to be trips and falls, there are going to be screw-ups, there are going to be outbreaks, there are going to be bad days. Many of them.

I can't say with certainty that it is the correct decision, but who can? Which TT member is God?

I have a bit of a background in Education, and I seriously shudder to think of the damage caused by keeping the schools closed much longer. Thai schools/The Thai Education System, at the best of times, sucks. It sucks really badly. While that is my opinion, it is also the crystal-clear result of the Thai Ministry of Education Standard Tests. Moreover, if you take an Education System that sucks, then put it on-line so that there is very little human contact and/or ability to adequately monitor the individual children, then, if I may be blunt, you are likely doing more harm than good. More bluntly, it sucks Donkey D***s (if you'll pardon my French).

Kids learn an incredible amount during their school age(s) (4-21 y/o), and they haven't stopped learning just because they aren't in school. So, what have they been learning for the last 2 years? They have been learning that there are few things worse than school and/or learning itself; that is the real danger.

Smarter people than I could write entire thesis' on this, but it is actually quite simple. If Thai children learn that learning itself is 'Mai Sanook', then they won't learn much for the rest of their lives because they know learning is 'Mai Sanook'. if Thai kids learn that attitude, and carry it with them throughout their lives, it'll be awful. Truly, truly awful.

Kids need to associate learning with 'Fun/Sanook!' because then, for the rest of their lives, they will learn and learn and learn.

The harm done with keeping the schools closed is more than the harm of opening them.

Even with Covid rearing its ugly head at times.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

This isn't exactly unexpected, but... is the answer to shut them all down again? If not, what would you suggest?

Thailand, for right or wrong, has made a decision to re-open and get on with life. In that decision, there are going to be outbreaks, there are going to be trips and falls, there are going to be screw-ups, there are going to be outbreaks, there are going to be bad days. Many of them.

I can't say with certainty that it is the correct decision, but who can? Which TT member is God?

I have a bit of a background in Education, and I seriously shudder to think of the damage caused by keeping the schools closed much longer. Thai schools/The Thai Education System, at the best of times, sucks. It sucks really badly. While that is my opinion, it is also the crystal-clear result of the Thai Ministry of Education Standard Tests. Moreover, if you take an Education System that sucks, then put it on-line so that there is very little human contact and/or ability to adequately monitor the individual children, then, if I may be blunt, you are likely doing more harm than good. More bluntly, it sucks Donkey D***s (if you'll pardon my French).

Kids learn an incredible amount during their school age(s) (4-21 y/o), and they haven't stopped learning just because they aren't in school. So, what have they been learning for the last 2 years? They have been learning that there are few things worse than school and/or learning itself; that is the real danger.

Smarter people than I could write entire thesis' on this, but it is actually quite simple. If Thai children learn that learning itself is 'Mai Sanook', then they won't learn much for the rest of their lives because they know learning is 'Mai Sanook'. if Thai kids learn that attitude, and carry it with them throughout their lives, it'll be awful. Truly, truly awful.

Kids need to associate learning with 'Fun/Sanook!' because then, for the rest of their lives, they will learn and learn and learn.

The harm done with keeping the schools closed is more than the harm of opening them.

Even with Covid rearing its ugly head at times.

Agreed the schools need to open. My point is that they should be remaining open having taken the decsion to do so.

My understanding in Khon Kaen (albeit second hand), is that there were just two cases in a single school. By all means close the class or even the school until tested. But it seems they have closed many of the schools in the area. There is a further report that said the decision to close a number of schools was based on “generally high infection rates in Khon Kaen”. It’s just one big mess because they don’t have the right data to inform their decisions.

If they think this will be the last time a couple of kids test positive for Covid then they really are beyond help. What are they going to do, close schools every time there’s a positive test? They still don’t seem to understand the basics of what this virus is all about. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Agreed the schools need to open. My point is that they should be remaining open having taken the decsion to do so.

My understanding in Khon Kaen (albeit second hand), is that there were just two cases in a single school. By all means close the class or even the school until tested. But it seems they have closed many of the schools in the area. There is a further report that said the decision to close a number of schools was based on “generally high infection rates in Khon Kaen”. It’s just one big mess because they don’t have the right data to inform their decisions.

If they think this will be the last time a couple of kids test positive for Covid then they really are beyond help. What are they going to do, close schools every time there’s a positive test? They still don’t seem to understand the basics of what this virus is all about. 

Evening Mr Dog

I think we are having another 'I wanna argue, but GOD DAMN IT we agree!' moment.

One of these days, we will find a subject/issue where we both disagree and are willing to argue it, then the Electrons will be flying so fast that they'll burn up the undersea cables linking Asia to the UK.

Until then, have a great day!

Cheers

• Like 1

Closed in Sa Kaeo, were going to open Monday but postponed till the 15th.

Talking to a few teachers and find they are reluctant to go back also not just the kids.

I know there is a simple solution for the teachers, stop or cut their pay and they'll be back super fast, think laziness has set in.

Solution, maybe bite the bullet and put them back in school, be heavy on the protocols till they become habit and only close the school if cases increase 3 days running, but only close that infected school for as short a time as possible and mass test.

Govt need to focus a lot more on fixing education or they will lose a lot of kids as others have mentioned.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Evening Mr Dog

I think we are having another 'I wanna argue, but GOD DAMN IT we agree!' moment.

One of these days, we will find a subject/issue where we both disagree and are willing to argue it, then the Electrons will be flying so fast that they'll burn up the undersea cables linking Asia to the UK.

Until then, have a great day!

Cheers

Dont worry Mr Wilder. It’s good we agree as that makes us both right😂

There are plenty of people on this forum who I can find to disagree with on almost every topic 😉

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Dont worry Mr Wilder. It’s good we agree as that makes us both right😂

There are plenty of people on this forum who I can find to disagree with on almost every topic 😉

No there aren't and you can't ☺️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Its just another example of either arrogance or stupidity by the Thai government

I would at this point say that this falls way short of having any type of intellectual governance thus you would think lacking any stature near being qualified.

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

I would at this point say that this falls way short of having any type of intellectual governance thus you would think lacking any stature near being qualified.

It may not feel it for many Thais who are suffering financially, but from a case number perspective they are lucky where they live. The hot weather and outdoor living along with lower population densities, mean the impact of  Covid has been far lower than the government actions could have made it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Malc-Thai said:

How many of these schools kids parents have had the offer of vaccine 

None around me apart from the already vaccinated government staff and their families.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Thaiger said:

3 schools around Thailand have closed due to suspected Covid-19 clusters after recently reopening on Monday. Teachers, students, and school officials were found to be infected with Covid, prompting the recent shutdowns. Thoen Technology Vocational College in Thoen district of Lampang Province has been shuttered for 1 month after 10 students tested positive for Covid. Proactive health screening showed that 1 out of 83 of those vocational students tested positive for the virus via RT-PCR tests on October 29. That student was reportedly living in a dormitory with another 13 students who were considered to be high-risk for Covid. Health […]

The story Recently reopened schools closed again after Covid infections found as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This is what "living with it" is going to look like

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

This is what "living with it" is going to look like

It would be better if everyone had the option for vaccines before the so called "living with it"