News Forum - TAT revises goal to 700,000 international travelers to Thailand in 2021

Thaiger

It's interesting to me how the calculations are done for these predictions.   I understand being positive is important.  But being realistic is essential.  Aside from the dischord in the reopening and the months of closures that atrophied the tourism infrastructure, the normal airline routes to Thailand have not been reestablished by alot of Major airlines.  I think Thailand will be fortunate to get 300,000 visitors (new, not returning faraang residents) by the end of the year.

• Like 2

Please stop reporting on what TAT or Whoever gives out stupid prediction's on TT. All it doe's is gets members backs up listening to the daily BS. The only time we need to know if the numbers are increasing is by members noticing place's getting busier.

• Like 1

Optimism is great but sadly it seems Thailand only knows Pie in the sky stuff. If they were genuinely serious about tourism and attracting a more affluent tourist they should stop building hurdles that turn tourists away. Take the majority of the decision making roles away from politicians and army personal and get some real professionals to remodel their entire visa /immigration system. Obviously Thailand wants to protect its sovereignty and that's understandable but in recent years their policies, tactics, racist slurs against mainly farang of which some are justified does Thai tourism a huge discredit. 

• Like 1

Yesterday the TAT predicted 700k visitors would be traveling to Thailand before the end of the year. This morning a report from Pattaya has reported no tourist have arrived since reopening and are not expecting any significant numbers to arrive in the near future so where are the 700 thousand tourists going to go ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vlad said:

Yesterday the TAT predicted 700k visitors would be traveling to Thailand before the end of the year. This morning a report from Pattaya has reported no tourist have arrived since reopening and are not expecting any significant numbers to arrive in the near future so where are the 700 thousand tourists going to go ?

Instead of going to Disneyland, they come for a PCR test-hub adventure take lots of photos of the swab going up their nose and fly home again 🤭

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2021 at 10:01 AM, Trilo said:

Is it so hard to understand that there will be no classic 10-14 day tourists because they won't risk spending 14 days in the hospital?

I suspect most people thinking of coming to Thailand on a short term basis don't understand what happens when they test positive here. It's not exactly advertised. Probably most overestimate their travel insurance coverage too.

• Like 2

This is what happens when the wrong people are in charge, how difficult would it be to design and impliment an online visa system.

Why did they not just modify the COE which was working to one with less complications and no 14 day quarantine for double vacinnated. I guess designing a new system meant more money so more brown paper bags for those in certain places rather than modify what was already running. These guys must have that many holes in their feet from so frequently "shooting themselves in the foot" 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 10:55 PM, Bob20 said:

That's what you hear all the time. And then that's Phuket with all sorts of special arrangements.

You can imagine most of the country being more like Kamala... 

Happy holiday 🤔

Yes it is bleak in the tourist spots but the traditional Thai areas are faring much better and I would recommend going there.  Maybe even cities rarely visited.  If in Phuket I would recommned Rawai beach/Phuket town as there is still a pulse there.

The thing I don’t understand about TAT or the government relates to the processes they put in place. It’s clear that they are all constructed by committee.

You can just see it now cant you. All sat around a meeting room. Seats covered in nice white covers. Water and flowers on the table, and of course the all important microphone (with a red light that comes on when you speak) for every member. To give yourself an even more important feeling, you are likely to have a second row of seats behind you for your advisors. Lots of pictures to adorn your home and office walls and well, you are a fu*#ing important person or FIP for short.
Meeting starts off with a proposal:

“All foreigners must be fully vaccinated and have proof before boarding a plane”. Next person says “what about a PCR on arrival? Great idea let’s add that. 
“well what will we do while they get the result?”  Put them in a hotel?  Great idea. “What if they get sick?”  Well let’s make sure they have insurance. Great idea let’s add that. “But what happens if they just stroll around like they own the place?”  Well let’s make them have a tracking app. Great idea 

“Hey, we also need to strengthen the visa application system”. Great idea. Let’s make sure they have booked flights and hotels so we know what they are up to. “Let’s make this all on-line like those clever people out in Silicon Valley do”. Great idea. My grandson has a PlayStation. I’ll get him on it when I get home and charge his time. 
“Great. Shall we all meet again next week and stop overnight (or 2) in a nice hotel with free food and booze. I’m bringing my Mia Noi next time”!! 

Next thing you know, what started as a simple straightforward good idea is just a  mess with no one taking accountability or responsibility for it because it’s the committees fault. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Unless they reform the ridiculous and draconian alcohol laws, few will come. The stupidity continues. A march off the economic cliff, right into nonsensical madness. 

The CCSA continues to prove on a daily basis how lost in space they are, how out of their element they are, how in over their heads they are, and how extreme their denial of science based facts is. 

Beer does not cause Covid. Neither does wine. But, prohibiting acholol sales does sabotage an industry and contribute to the continued destruction of the nation's economy and deepen the hole tourism has been placed into by the insane and crazed fools. 

Nobody has ever defined the danger of alcohol intelligibly, as it relates to Covid. I can understand crowded bars, and clubs, where you have to shout to be heard, and in the process you release alot of spittle. But a restaurant? Why? It only appears to be an additional hardship for hundreds of thousands who are only trying to make a living, and patrons who are only trying to let off a little steam and enjoy some much needed recreation.

If anything, allowing drinking in restaurants brings down the national crime rates!

At this time, the nation would really benefit if there were some intelligent and compassionate adults in the rooms, where these decisions are being made.

Wow is Thailand with leaders like Prayuth, Anutin and Phiphat. Where do they find these clowns?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dmacarelli said:

Wow is Thailand with leaders like Prayuth, Anutin and Phiphat. Where do they find these clowns?

To be fair, they weren’t so much as “found” by the Thai public, more they gate crashed what was an elected government. 

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Soidog said:

To be fair, they weren’t so much as “found” by the Thai public, more they gate crashed what was an elected government. 

I would say they were installed by person or persons to whom the future of the country or that of its people is of no importance. Or that is what it appears. How else can you explain the economic destruction of the country advantageous to no one except those priviledged few ?

19 hours ago, gummy said:

I would say they were installed by person or persons to whom the future of the country or that of its people is of no importance. Or that is what it appears. How else can you explain the economic destruction of the country advantageous to no one except those priviledged few ?

You cannot explain it with logic, common sense and reason. But, you can explain it with deep seated and malicious pathology. How the Thai people got themselves into a position like this, with no moral authority whatsoever, anywhere to be seen, is a disaster. All the moral guidance and authority is gone. This is truly a very dark time for Thailand, it's people and much of the expat community. 

Some of the devastation can be blamed on Covid. Much of it can be blamed on Prayuth and his band of goons and thieves. 

Thailand: Please come, we need people to visit, because almost all income is from tourism. Why are there no tourists coming????? 

Also Thailand: Not you, millions of people. Only the wealthy. Here have a Thailand Pass and a million restrictions. 

Prayuth is to tourism what John Dillinger was to banks. The destroyer. The robber. The thief. The man who makes sure the Thai people are unhappy. 

• Like 1