News Forum - Bangkok ranked 68th of 80 best global cities for remote workers

Thaiger

In a study that assesses liveability, living costs, infrastructure, and employment compliance, Bangkok was ranked 68th out of 80 cities around the world for remote working. The study was conducted by WorkMotion, an HR platform that helps match businesses with remote workers worldwide. Bangkok suffered low ratings in several key areas for remote work. They ranked 70th on housing access, indicating that appropriate living accommodations are not easy to get in the city. It ranked even lower in the political stability category, coming in 77th out of 80. Bangkok also lost standing for gender and sexuality issues, with Thailand’s capital […]

The story Bangkok ranked 68th of 80 best global cities for remote workers as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

, Bangkok was ranked 68th out of 80 cities around the world for remote working.

Not much control there then .. 

It ranked even lower in the political stability category, coming in 77th out of 80.

Blimey who'd have thought that .. 

If there was relegation from the political stability category then Thailand are right in the drop zone, it's usually at this point they sack the manager .. 

• Haha 3
  • Cool 1

From the linked article "While Thailand has chosen digital nomads as one of 4 high-quality tourist demographics to woo for the future of tourism, there still isn’t a legal visa for those working remotely for countries abroad. Only 11 countries on the list currently have digital nomad visas though."

Which makes this whole ranking entirely pointless. 

But, if Thailand actually decided to create a remote worker visa then they would enjoy a sudden surge of long term residents spending overseas income in the country overnight. I mean genuine remote workers, not just YouTube wannabe or people not actually with an income stream. No opportunity exists in Asia right now.

By the time they get around to creating something, it will not doubt have several conditions based on a complete misunderstanding of who a remote worker is, or how their payment vehicles are structured, and it appropriate to maybe 10 people total in the world.

Perhaps as misguided as the Thaigers link to business visas on the page. A Non O-B is useless to a remote worker positioning themselves in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Dumb list. Majority of the cities are overpriced and unaffordable for digital nomads.  The whole draw of being a digital nomad is a better quality of life in a country that has a lower cost of living than the country one is from.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Saunk said:

Dumb list. Majority of the cities are overpriced and unaffordable for digital nomads.  The whole draw of being a digital nomad is a better quality of life in a country that has a lower cost of living than the country one is from.  

I agree cost is one aspect. However, as someone who is often a remote worker, having a nice chilled out environment and the ability to go for a dip in a pool or the sea following a tough conference call is what I’m looking for. Good interconnectivity, suitable visas and trustworthy leasing of property is also essential. 

Another reason why many parts of Asia suffer from remote workers, relates to those who work in industries that need to take account of time zones. Much of my work is with European and North American clients. Being 6 or 12 hours out of step with those places makes it difficult to operate from Thailand. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Another reason why many parts of Asia suffer from remote workers, relates to those who work in industries that need to take account of time zones. Much of my work is with European and North American clients. Being 6 or 12 hours out of step with those places makes it difficult to operate from Thailand. 

It wasn't remote work, a proper office job

But about 8 years back I was offered a job in Singapore that fit me perfectly, trading US/Canadian equities

But I would have to work Friday nights because of the time difference

This spring, I may WFH in Thailand for 2 months, will be the same situation, working Friday nights, so I would take a holiday day on at least half of those..........

Although now older, Friday night working isn't the deal breaker it was before.......