News Forum - Thammasat, Foreign Ministry in he said/she said spat over failed Moderna donation

Thaiger

The dispute between Thammasat University Hospital and the Foreign Ministry over 1.5 million donated Moderna doses rolls on. After the university took to Facebook to say government red tape prevented it from receiving Poland’s donation, the Foreign Ministry has hit back. According to a Bangkok Post report, the ministry says it couldn’t allow Thammasat to accept the donation as doing so could undermine relations between Thailand and Poland. For several weeks now, Thammasat has been asking the ministry for a letter that would confirm the university hospital’s state agency status. The letter was a necessary requirement to pave the way […]

The story Thammasat, Foreign Ministry in he said/she said spat over failed Moderna donation as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

What's wrong with these people, can't they just get it sorted and accept delivery. I realize the government won't get any cut but let's face it, the country needs every vaccine they can get, talk about incompetence. 

TIT.

• Like 3

"According to a Bangkok Post report, the ministry says it couldn’t allow Thammasat to accept the donation as doing so could undermine relations between Thailand and Poland."

Okay, I understand that Thai perspectives are often different from my Western ones (that's okay).

I understand that sometimes I can't quite follow Thai logic (that's okay)

I understand that things on the international stage can often be confusing (that's okay).

I don't understand this clusterf**k.

Thailand needs vaccines.

Poland wanted to give vaccines.

But, they can't.

Many, many, many people should be forced out of government entirely; it is literally criminal negligence.

Edited by Shade_Wilder
smeling
  • Like 6

Bla, bla, bla...

Cost is not an issue. People are happy to pay a fee for a top vaccine. It is never really discussed that it's not just the cost for the actual physical vaccine, but also the cost of the venue, staff, equipment, IT-systems, logistics and disposables.

The government provides all of this "free" (paid for by taxpayer's money), but private companies will recover the additional costs and seem to do so at a modest rate.

For the rest it's political nonsense. If the government wants these doses for its people, it will provide the required letter. Poland isn't going to object or they wouldn't have offered. And the manufacturer won't object as they already agreed the donation with Poland.

Smoke and mirrors by the Thai government who don't want private hospitals to do what they constantly  botch up. Plus the fact that the government also import Moderna that's likely sold to the administering hospitals, after taking a nice "cut".

• Like 5

And who do you believe? I will side with the University on this one as the bone heads in the government seem to not want it to go forward and help out for some reason. And hurt relations? Give me a break as if this doesn't hurt relations then I don't know what will. It is like a hard biatch slap to Poland and the University's integrity and kindness.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Bob20 said:

Smoke and mirrors by the Thai government who don't want private hospitals to do what they constantly  botch up. Plus the fact that the government also import Moderna that's likely sold to the administering hospitals, after taking a nice "cut".

I think that is hitting it directly on the real point right there Bob20. Greed and Face.

• Like 2

Yet more evidence that the Junta Government is totally incompetent and arrogant and dont give a rat's rear end about the common Thai people.  What is great to see is that the ordinary Thai people are actually taking notice and not just letting it all go.  As that recent Dusit poll showed, over 70% of Thais want the Junta to leave office.  I just hope they 'maintain the rage' and done let themselves get distracted (or bribed) before the 2023 elections.   

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Yet more evidence that the Junta Government is totally incompetent and arrogant and dont give a rat's rear end about the common Thai people.  What is great to see is that the ordinary Thai people are actually taking notice and not just letting it all go.  As that recent Dusit poll showed, over 70% of Thais want the Junta to leave office.  I just hope they 'maintain the rage' and done let themselves get distracted (or bribed) before the 2023 elections.   

70% is a pretty good estimate and actually is probably higher than that I would think. 80%+? I think same as you as I would love to see the young generation and other Thai rise up and take their country back from these greedy corrupt dinosaurs. These controllers of the old faction are days of the past and have no right to try to keep it how the old Thailand was. No place for this here anymore. I am at least blessed to be able to see the sentiment through my kids eyes as they live their lives. We who are married or have a partner are blessed to be able to see it for how they feel and see it as well, but it does leave a bad taste in the mouth. From the first time I came here decades ago to now and today, it is definitely not the same and Thai sentiment has totally flipped the other way. Thai people and what Thais do is always the same as they are Thai, but their love of things I best not mention has drastically changed.

• Like 3

Whose fault it is is far less important, than getting the vaccines administered. You can have a year long Government investigation if you want to, just get the vaccines to the people that need them!

• Like 4
  • Cool 1

26 minutes ago, Jason said:

Whose fault it is is far less important, than getting the vaccines administered. You can have a year long Government investigation if you want to, just get the vaccines to the people that need them!

As long as we have a system where government approval is required, you can stamp your feet as much as you like, but you'll have to find a way for them to cooperate...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

70% is a pretty good estimate and actually is probably higher than that I would think. 80%+? I think same as you as I would love to see the young generation and other Thai rise up and take their country back from these greedy corrupt dinosaurs. These controllers of the old faction are days of the past and have no right to try to keep it how the old Thailand was. No place for this here anymore. I am at least blessed to be able to see the sentiment through my kids eyes as they live their lives. We who are married or have a partner are blessed to be able to see it for how they feel and see it as well, but it does leave a bad taste in the mouth. From the first time I came here decades ago to now and today, it is definitely not the same and Thai sentiment has totally flipped the other way. Thai people and what Thais do is always the same as they are Thai, but their love of things I best not mention has drastically changed.

Yes it has absolutely changed 180 degrees - there are still those who hold old school values, but they have vested interests to protect.  Those in authority need to carefully think about things - a military dictatorship takeover like what happened in China and so many other countries, has no time for the old school ways and always removes them.  Change or be changed is the mantra they need to embrace. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

there are still those who hold old school values,

Just talking with my kids, and if you think about your statement right there then this probably might be part the big center route of the problem of why there is a road block. Old Thamasat School Values.

• Like 1