News Forum - 4,510 travellers arrived in 2 days of reopening, 6 with Covid-19

Thaiger

According to data released today, in the 2 days since Thailand’s grand reopening, 4,510 international travellers arrived at Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok. Of those arrivals, only 6 tested positive for Covid-19, less than 1% of arriving passengers, according to the Hazard Communication Director of the Department of Disease Control. The top countries arriving in the first two days of the reopening were led by Japan with 725 travellers landing in Bangkok, followed by Singapore with 387, Qatar with 365, and Germany with 283. Interestingly, despite strong lockdown restrictions, China was the fifth most popular country of origin arriving into Bangkok […]

The story 4,510 travellers arrived in 2 days of reopening, 6 with Covid-19 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Huh? But the other article said 6600 in the first day. Where are the others? Still in the air? Canceled because of the alcohol restrictions? 

Most schools here focus on math and science rather than English. How can they always be so wrong with numbers? 

Just wondering,  6 people total tested positive.. are they still isolating the people that sat near them on the planes for 14 days?

Seems to have gone very quiet about this since the bad publicity with the German lady going live on Facebook in Phuket..

• Like 8

You can bet your bottom baht, if I was any where near them they would enact  quarantine! Just my luck!

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

Just wondering,  6 people total tested positive.. are they still isolating the people that sat near them on the planes for 14 days?

Seems to have gone very quiet about this since the bad publicity with the German lady going live on Facebook in Phuket..

good question ... maybe this is why 2000 travelers 'disappeared' ? 😀 (I hope no ....) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Interestingly, despite strong lockdown restrictions, China was the fifth most popular country of origin arriving into Bangkok so far this month, with 273 passengers landing.

Why imply surprise? China is not an egalitarian society. If it were, the "One Child" policy would have seen population reduction instead of them keeping pace with the rest of the planet.

What "strong restrictions" you face in China depends on who you are.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

the very low rate of Covid-19 infections brought into the country as part of the reopening might be the silver lining.

Why?

They'll neither add to nor detract from the number of Covid cases and deaths, nor are they any more or any less likely to spread Covid themselves, nor were they ever going to be.

The problem isn't the tourists themselves, but it's because the government wants more tourists.

That won't happen without loosening restrictions on alcohol, bars, social interaction and masks, and that combined with the associated increased movement will inevitably mean more Covid across a wider area.

Where's the silver lining?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

How did these 6 fall through the gaps of a negative covid PCR test before boarding?

You can catch covid 2 days before test in your country 3 days before you fly.. that test say no covid so you can fly.. but now 5 and half days from catching covid when you land and tested again then positive

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

How did these 6 fall through the gaps of a positive PCR test before boarding?

False negatives, infection after PCR test or early incubation (infected but not yet detectable at time of pre-flight PCR test). 

Some will blame infection during travel, but that's unlikely to already be detected close to disembarkation time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bob20 said:

False negatives, infection after PCR test or early incubation (infected but not yet detectable at time of pre-flight PCR test). 

Some will blame infection during travel, but that's unlikely to already be detected close to disembarkation time.

All assuming that the tests are accurate 

5 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

1 hour ago,  Bob20 said: 

1 hour ago, HiuMak said:

How did these 6 fall through the gaps of a negative covid PCR test before boarding?

The Rt-PCR test has many flaws right from the beginning... the question now is, when is Thailand going to stop using it. 

https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dls/locs/2021/07-21-2021-lab-alert-Changes_CDC_RT-PCR_SARS-CoV-2_Testing_1.html

• Like 1

We all know that these figures are rubbish.

It's just mirrors and smoke.

Even if they were accurate, it's not a brilliant start. Not in my view at any rate.

• Like 3

As for if "pulled" if sitting near others on plane..I was reading richard barrows updates(twitter)as he is trying to return to LOS...HE said if sitting next to someone in same row....not in front or behind....and could be "pulled" for 4 days or until test negative....(HIS statement-not mine)...seems most flights are low volume

Also saw on SHA site phuket has some DAY rates--Test n GO BUT they dont include PCR or transport--BUT interesting they posted pricing!!!   they say 2400 for test and 600-1500 for "transport"....so they had rooms from 800bt and up but is you do the rough math comes to about same as BKK rates and add in flights out-cheapest from Bkk--then Phuket--samui is high with layover in BKK ....i did see some smaller odd airlines out of korea flying directs to CNX starting up but then comes the whole SHA which doesnt list CNX as test n go

Just some tidbits I found as Ive been watching this like a hawk daily looking for a way back in as well....

https://asq.in.th/phuket-test-and-go-hotels

link shows the part about PCR costs and transport if go to 1 day sandbox route...first ive seen about $$$

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

6 positives from over 4000 people. It's going to be okay people.

Not for those 6 - not by a long way.

I'll defo be running from my test and go hotel the moment I get my all clear! No matter that I'll have paid for the hotel. I'm calling it "Test-and-run-like-f***" :-)

Edited by Dodgey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Covid is going to get through, no matter what measures are put in place. But the risk is less. That's the best you can hope for. Cases among the local population are the greater concern.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Nobody knows, are all pcr tests 100% perfect we don’t know. I thought it took a few days to show signs of infection 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

USA CDC has admitted that PCR test is plainly the wrong tool. A new test to begin 1-1-2022.

A pioneer of PCR said it's like looking at fingerprint to determine if one has bad breadth. Healthy people have been declared asymptomatic because of "bad breadth" ..!!!

• Haha 1