News Forum - New road and construction planned to improve U-Tapao Airport

Thaiger

Plans are underway to ease traffic to U-Tapao Airport in Rayong, the primary airport to Pattaya, by linking it to a nearby street by constructing a 2-kilometre road. The Department of Highways announced the plan yesterday, saying the project will cost 4.5 billion baht and will break ground next year with a completion date set for 3 years from now. U-Tapao is the closest airport to Pattaya and serves as an important link for tourism that is hoped to begin flowing back this month. The airport also serves the Eastern Economic Corridor industrial development zone, so the need to decrease […]

The story New road and construction planned to improve U-Tapao Airport as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gummy said:

So that is 2.25 billion THB per kilometre. Well guess no corruption there then  😂

Must be mostly elevated (I don't mean corruption money🤣) .. when I lived kalasin they put a 5k road in within a few months.. this 3 years is a long time for thai standards for a 2k road

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

Must be mostly elevated (I don't mean corruption money🤣) .. when I lived kalasin they put a 5k road in within a few months.. this 3 years is a long time for thai standards for a 2k road

Well U-Tapao is Navy owned so if 1 km is on Navy land we know were 1 billion will go straight away.

12 minutes ago, gummy said:

Well U-Tapao is Navy owned so if 1 km is on Navy land we know were 1 billion will go straight away.

I shouldn't worry if I was you. It's tax money to another tax payee. No farang involvement there.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Yinn said:

I not know.
Can you tell me where?  Explain please.

I already gave you a generalisation  in my previous post which appears to have been removed. So for good order I shall repeat a summary of it. 

The excellent  link you provided ( now gone ) had no breakdown of specific costs.  There was no estimates for appropriation of land, workers facilities, cement batching plants, third party easements etc etc. Those can be 20 % + of overall construction costs. I do not expect you to have had any  experience in major construction projects in Thailand. I have that experience so hence when I say we know where 1 billion baht will go I am referring to those of us experienced in such and as I have just outlined that is where 1 billion THB can easily go over a 3 year time frame. Given normal project over-runs both in time and costs that Thailand experiences possibly a lot more.

8 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Sounds like an albatross to me.

You may have a point there as linking it to the nearby road in my opinion is just kicking the can down the road. If it is to be a major airport in the future ( if indeed there is a tourism future) then significant redevelopment is to be needed at the airport itself. Access roads to link with the major highways too. However do you not think this is all rather old fashioned approach to the problem, especially given the PM's comments on climate change ?

Surely planning to get people to and fro in cars is now a 20th century concept past it's sell by date ? Would it not be wiser to discourage individual transportation and rather have eco friendly mass transportation links ? 

2 hours ago, gummy said:

So that is 2.25 billion THB per kilometre. Well guess no corruption there then  😂

corruption in LOS ,does it exist 😆

maybe the myanmar labours joined the union so the wages skyrocked 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, gummy said:

You may have a point there as linking it to the nearby road in my opinion is just kicking the can down the road. If it is to be a major airport in the future ( if indeed there is a tourism future) then significant redevelopment is to be needed at the airport itself. Access roads to link with the major highways too. However do you not think this is all rather old fashioned approach to the problem, especially given the PM's comments on climate change ?

Surely planning to get people to and fro in cars is now a 20th century concept past it's sell by date ? Would it not be wiser to discourage individual transportation and rather have eco friendly mass transportation links ? 

Everything they suggest for projects are just boat loads of money going to a few select. Only thing new now is we have CP and the Chinese interacting in this bidding now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Poolie said:

I shouldn't worry if I was you. It's tax money to another tax payee. No farang involvement there.

I’m a foreigner and I pay tax in Thailand. All foreigners do. It’s called VAT. VAT stands for:

Value Added Tax

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I’m a foreigner and I pay tax in Thailand. All foreigners do. It’s called VAT. VAT stands for:

Value Added Tax

Not to be confused with  the VAK tax... value added kickback:)

Edited by billywillyjones
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just to show I’m not being a Thai basher (pointing out the truth), and before a defender of the kingdom pipes up with some tangential tale, I’ll point out that while 2.25 billion per kilometre is a lot of money, the high speed rail network being built in the U.K. currently stands at 8.6 billion baht per kilometre. I know it’s rail and not a road, but WTF!!  And that’s just the latest estimate of £103 Billion for the project. It started off at around £30Bn. By the time it’s finally built it will be twice that amount and could be easily 16 billion per kilometre in the end 😳😳

3 minutes ago, yetanother said:

we, dirty , unwanted foreigners pay a LOT of tax; gasoline,alcohol,cigarette, VAT, income;

i guarantee i pay more thai taxes than anyone else in my village or anywhere within miles

Correct. It’s utterly naive to say foreigners don’t pay tax in Thailand. You’ve paid it before you even arrive due to taxation on airfares. 

• Like 1

The high speed link between Bangkok and U-Tapao will account for the people but there will need to be a valid freight link for deliveries. I'm reasonably sure that this is what it's for as well as the naval traffic.

If you can forget corruption for a minute and think inside the box.

2 minutes ago, Poolie said:

think inside the box

The term is "thinking outside the box".   Thinking inside the box as you suggest would be in terms of a money box, perhaps that is what you meant

4 minutes ago, gummy said:

The term is "thinking outside the box".   Thinking inside the box as you suggest would be in terms of a money box, perhaps that is what you meant

I know what the term is thanks. For every outside there is an inside. I wrote what I think.

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Value Added Tax

Here here Soidog!

• Thanks 1

my thoughts are there will be a new entrance into the airport somewhere near to the left yellow arrow, which would entail having to cross the Sukhumvit road, this has been on the cards for some time, the new road will link the 2 x yellow arrows, which will have to cross the 332 road as well as the large lake which is shown on the map, so i would think as others have posted a lot of the new road will be raised, which would explain the cost and the time scale.

they have put a new road (alongside the road leading to phala beach) from the south side of sukhumvit road, at a point below the right yellow arrow and to the left of the circular off ramp of the motorway, there are also extensive road building works going on inside the airport close to the airport eastern boundary wall closer to the beach

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Value Added Tax

I bet with what and how much we buy that out VAT tax supersedes 80% of all Thai. Great you brought that up, as I know for a fact that we are VAT taxed up the Sphincter as I feel it. It is either that or hemorrhoids, but probably still caused by the same factions. 

• Haha 1