News Forum - PM says Thailand will step up fight against climate change

Thaiger

Thai PM Prayut Chan-o-cha has vowed to step up Thailand’s focus on tackling climate change. He made this announcement yesterday in Glasgow at the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change Conference of the Parties, also known as the COP26. This convention is a forum in which world leaders can meet and make plans to address relevant climate issues. Prayut announced in his speech that Thailand had set a goal previously under the United Nations framework to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by at least 7% by 2020, and the country exceeded that goal by more than two times. He also […]

The story PM says Thailand will step up fight against climate change as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Perhaps a good place to start would be putting a stop to the seasonal burning up north that many people have been complaining about for decades and zilch has been done about.

• Like 10

Is Covid done or something? 

All I hear now is suddenly climate climate climate. It must be climate season again. 

It's as if they know Covid is not scary for people anymore, so now back to climate, which they have warned us 50 years ago already that 40 years ago, catastrophes would become unstoppable. And just like with Covid.... Don't you dare say anything against it! 

• Like 3

Well I guess he is going total solar power, stopping the growing of rice in water saturated fields and disbanding Parliament to stop all emissions from here. 😵

• Haha 3

555 Sorry I can't help it!   The PM can't even police the dumping of trash in the ocean that borders Thailand. After a storm some beaches look like someone went up and down the beach with a dozer ,spreading trash!

• Like 4
  • Cool 1

Yep, the climate changes... and were going to change that?

Weren't the polar caps supposed to be all melted and all the coastlines supposed to be flooded by now? 

• Like 2

I really struggle to listen to all this claptrap from word leaders. It was announced today that 90 countries had agreed to end deforestation by 2030. In reality what this will mean is as follows:

Western and Asian developed countries such as Japan, Taiwan and South Korea will put in place all kinds of checks and balances. Forests will be photographed and checked on a monthly or annual basis from the air or even satellite. Logging vehicles will be fully registered and all movement tracked using GPS and on-board data logging equipment. Numerous registration documents and centralised databases will be created and a whole department will administer permits and logging quotas. All of this of course will come at a significant cost to the local tax payers. 

Meanwhile, in SE Asia and parts of Africa, Central and South America, very little of the above will be implemented. Local companies will bribe local officials, they will continue to cut down forests just as they have now and basically nothing will have changed, apart from essentially a tax burden on the production of things like Canadian and Scandinavian timber. The West and developed Asian countries are simply naive to think otherwise!  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Recycling would be a good place to start. The country is drowning in plastic, as are so many others. Single use plastic bottles and containers, top of the list.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Recycling would be a good place to start. The country is drowning in plastic, as are so many others. Single use plastic bottles and containers, top of the list.

I agree Jason with the idea of recycling. However, we need to be clear on things that are “Climate change” and things which  are “environmental damage”. Plastic waste in oceans for example I believe to be Environmental damage and not a direct factor with Climate change.

In the U.K. this week, mainstream media is going crazy with programme showing anything and everything they consider climate change. However, much of it such as polluting rivers is environmental damage and nothing to do with climate change. The media know this but have deliberately conflated the two issues in order to hype and exaggerate the issue thereby adding to the fear of the population. 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I agree Jason with the idea of recycling. However, we need to be clear on things that are “Climate change” and things which  are “environmental damage”. Plastic waste in oceans for example I believe to be Environmental damage and not a direct factor with Climate change.

In the U.K. this week, mainstream media is going crazy with programme showing anything and everything they consider climate change. However, much of it such as polluting rivers is environmental damage and nothing to do with climate change. The media know this but have deliberately conflated the two issues in order to hype and exaggerate the issue thereby adding to the fear of the population. 

Think these two were chatting about climate change and lip service.

FB_IMG_1635893719376.jpg

47 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Wow!

"The media know this but have deliberately conflated the two issues in order to hype and exaggerate the issue thereby adding to the fear of the population. "

You make it sound like there is one voracious media giant (and James Bond villain) bent on scaring the public for nefarious purposes from their secret volcano lair!

Yes, it is true that riverside pollution and climate change are different things, but there isn't a simple photo or graphic to show the effects of climate change. And, while I do not want to defend the media, what they are showing are images that reflect environmental concern.

Hanlon's Razor:

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

This is just lazy-ass reporting, not a conspiracy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gummy said:

FB_IMG_1635893719376.jpg

probably offering him a knighthood for a few million Baht

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Thai PM Prayut Chan-o-cha has vowed to step up Thailand’s focus on tackling climate change. He made this announcement yesterday in Glasgow at the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change Conference of the Parties, also known as the COP26. This convention is a forum in which world leaders can meet and make plans to address relevant climate issues. Prayut announced in his speech that Thailand had set a goal previously under the United Nations framework to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by at least 7% by 2020, and the country exceeded that goal by more than two times. He also […]

The story PM says Thailand will step up fight against climate change as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

He has a lot to step up

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, gummy said:

FB_IMG_1635893719376.jpg

I feel ashamed to be British when I see that picture. Do you think Charles knew who he was?
Maybe Charles was telling him to be careful of that bloody step he tripped up on the other day 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Wow!

"The media know this but have deliberately conflated the two issues in order to hype and exaggerate the issue thereby adding to the fear of the population. "

You make it sound like there is one voracious media giant (and James Bond villain) bent on scaring the public for nefarious purposes from their secret volcano lair!

Yes, it is true that riverside pollution and climate change are different things, but there isn't a simple photo or graphic to show the effects of climate change. And, while I do not want to defend the media, what they are showing are images that reflect environmental concern.

Hanlon's Razor:

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

This is just lazy-ass reporting, not a conspiracy.

I don’t go in for conspiracy theories. I don’t know about other countries, but in the U.K., most of the mainstream television media is run and staffed by lefties who support anyone who is pro-climate change. 

If man made climate change or indeed climate change is as critical as some claim, then there should be no problem getting images to show it. They have plenty of images showing flooding and forest fires and plenty of cyclone damage. They don’t need to show pictures of ocean plastic as part of an item on climate change and global warming. Environmental damage, then sure they can, but not relate it to global warming. I guess they are hedging their bets a little. If in 20 years London still isn’t under a metre of water, or the Maldives still have a thriving tourism industry, then they can always say they were more worried about ocean waste.

I’m a firm supporter of stopping environmental damage. I also believe the climate is warming. I’m less convinced climate warming is created by mankind to the point where if we change then we can halt the warming? I’m not saying it’s not caused by mankind, I’m just saying I haven’t seen unquestionable evidence. 

• Like 2

I would like to express Thailand’s readiness to fully increase the level of solving the climate problem by all means in order to reach international goals and standards.”

Lip service only.

Thailand is ready alright but that is all that will happen, unless there is money to be made. ie big international donations to him and his mates.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I don’t go in for conspiracy theories. I don’t know about other countries, but in the U.K., most of the mainstream television media is run and staffed by lefties who support anyone who is pro-climate change. 

If man made climate change or indeed climate change is as critical as some claim, then there should be no problem getting images to show it. They have plenty of images showing flooding and forest fires and plenty of cyclone damage. They don’t need to show pictures of ocean plastic as part of an item on climate change and global warming. Environmental damage, then sure they can, but not relate it to global warming. I guess they are hedging their bets a little. If in 20 years London still isn’t under a metre of water, or the Maldives still have a thriving tourism industry, then they can always say they were more worried about ocean waste.

I’m a firm supporter of stopping environmental damage. I also believe the climate is warming. I’m less convinced climate warming is created by mankind to the point where if we change then we can halt the warming? I’m not saying it’s not caused by mankind, I’m just saying I haven’t seen unquestionable evidence. 

Er... okay.

I gave up arguing with people who don't accept that climate change is real and man-made; there simply is no point in my view.

The link below is to the UN's various climate reports done by a global consortium of scientists.

Beyond that, I don't have much to add.

Cheers

https://www.un.org/en/climatechange/reports

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I feel ashamed to be British when I see that picture. Do you Charles knew who he was?
Maybe Charles was telling him to be careful of that bloody step he tripped up on the other day 😂

A fine pair.  COP26 is my opinion a collection of the biggest hypocrites in the world. In this day and age video conferencing as just as good, but there again its all about photo calls and publicity, not actually doing anything regarding climate issue. Consider the tonnes of emissions for that lot to fly to Glasgow. Totally unnecessary. Had to laugh today as another climate change hypocrite flies in to attend, Leonardo-dicaprio, some more jet fuel emissions. Still at least he can say to the audience what is he doing when asked about climate change "now you see me now you don't" 😁

Biden was complaining that Putin and Xi didn't attend the conference but may be, just maybe they are not such a pair of hypocrites as the rest of them when it comes to aircraft emissions perhaps.

Just now, Shade_Wilder said:

Er... okay.

I gave up arguing with people who don't accept that climate change is real and man-made; there simply is no point in my view.

The link below is to the UN's various climate reports done by a global consortium of scientists.

Beyond that, I don't have much to add.

Cheers

https://www.un.org/en/climatechange/reports

Dont get me wrong mate, I’m not saying it isn’t, I’ve read plenty of reports showing the evidence and watched plenty of documentaries also. However, I’ve also read and watched plenty from other scientists that argue that it is not ALL man made and hence we may be over simplifying our ability to change things. It would be a shame and a waste of time and money, if we spend all our efforts on trying to halt it, only to find in 30 years that it’s simply not possible and we should have been using the time and money to protect and defend or way of life. 

I also think things like renewables are absolutely the way forward for other reasons. Electric vehicles have to be far better for health and the environment. I’m very much in support of environmental action and what the world achieved with CFC reductions to reduce the impact on the Ozone layer damage  was fantastic. I just wish there was a much clearer and unequivocal evidence on climate change. I’m afraid the IPCC doesn’t cut it for me. They have changed their forecasts and reports far too often in the past 20 years. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Benroon said:

Introducing annual vehicle MOT's would probably halve it

7 minutes ago, gion said:

better we send a delegation of our students who understand the language of foreign leaders

1 hour ago, palooka said:

Thailand is ready alright but that is all that will happen, unless there is money to be made. ie big international donations to him and his mates.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Some wonderful way the farang say Thailand can fix the world problem. Thankyou. We must listen to the farang. Sorry we hurt your world so much. 

31C89CAE-02CF-4FF6-913C-425A6840DF43.png

• Like 1