News Forum - As Thai schools reopen, the effects of online learning are evident

Thaiger

1 hour ago, Stardust said:

Ok as I see you not talk with Thais then I give you example why I shocked sometimes. Example upper middleclass living in a condo, have a car and a proper smart phone. If you talk often with them you become more insides. The car and the phone is financed by loans, then you should have a little bit knowledge about the income level in Thailand to understand it. When I know how much income they have then realize from that they have their rents, electricity, all their debts every month I often with what money by their food. You think if you see the smart phones they can aford it? No they cannot they buy it by finance and do you think they have all high speed unlimited internet? No they have not. Now what do you think is going on in the lower income working class. I really often wonder how can sombody living but not realizing realities. My only answer they live in their own box and never reflecting.

Yes, some people buy things on credit and pay the money back monthly , thats quite common the World over 

23 hours ago, gummy said:

Yes because, irrespective of the educational standards, good or bad, or anywhere in the world, children must have social interaction with others whilst they mature.

Shouldn't that be if they mature?
I'm talking now about some kids, as judging from a lot of those in government here, they're still waiting for it to happen.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I'm talking now about some kids, as judging from a lot of those in government here, they're still waiting for it to happen.

Very true and my problem is I always consider Thai females in my arguments as of course we all know the Thai males never actually do reach full maturity by our standards.

22 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Yes, some people buy things on credit and pay the money back monthly , thats quite common the World over 

Omg Thailand has the highest private houshold debts all over Asia with 98% of the gdp. If you not have any backround information and knowledge about Thai living, incomes and households it make really no sense of a discussion and is a waste of time. To compare with allover the world is absolute absurd.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Omg Thailand has the highest private houshold debts all over Asia with 98% of the gdp. If you not have any backround information and knowledge about Thai living, incomes and households it make really no sense of a discussion and is a waste of time. To compare with allover the world is absolute absurd.

Yes, lowly me shouldn't talk with such an know all intelligent person such as yourself 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Stardust said:

You call yourself teacher but you learned nothing about the current situation of Thailand! Most families have no flatrate wifi or can afford phones for their children or notebooks! As a teacher you should also learn about the backrounds. And as a techer you should read the unicef report of Thailand that exactly that is the problem! You talking for the majority of Thai students but you have no knowledge about the majority of the Thai students. To learn a bit more there is a good docu from cna about I made the link in an other comment.

How can you know this while you don't even know where I live and what school I work at? 

It's the students which I teach that I'm talking about. 

Just to note, my school is a private school. It'd be weird if you can afford to send your kid to a private school, but can't afford a microphone or a normal internet connection. 

Don't be too quick to judge next time. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AussieBob said:

So many reasons why being a teacher sucks. Thanks for reminding me never to teach in Thailand.

It's actually pretty fun, if you are in the classroom. Online could be fun too, if students pay attention. But the school always manages to put all the students who never pay attention, in one class😂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Soidog said:

I am told schools in Khon Kaen (all schools) will close from tomorrow for 7 days following two cases of Covid!  I’m afraid I don’t have a link to attach, but I have been told and checked again today with a friend who is currently teaching in Khon Kaen. Unless anyone living there knows differently. If true, it’s an absurd over reaction to two cases 

Not in Khon Kaen but here in my village the schools went back Tuesday. None are vaccinated yet but they must have done some testing as 10 students now tested positive. This was announced this morning by the village chief on the tannoy,

Many kids walk by my house on the way to school but none so far today so looks like they are closed again.

Also yesterday did the 3 hour drive to my Immigration Office and noticed at least 5 very large markets have re-opened, huge crowds, mainly all mask-wearing.

I really do fear this is far from over.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

It's actually pretty fun, if you are in the classroom. Online could be fun too, if students pay attention. But the school always manages to put all the students who never pay attention, in one class😂

I have heard that one too - and many other horror stories about salary and visas and work permits etc. Maybe for a top of the line private Uni, but even then I have heard they can be very 'difficult' because if you push lazy students or threaten to fail them, their parents will get very angry.  I saw one letter (translated for  me) where the parents stated that did not pay all the money to have their child not given a pass, and that if they were not passed then they would take the matter to Court and sue for insult and demand their money back (they won - no court case happened). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fluke said:

Yes, lowly me shouldn't talk with such an know all intelligent person such as yourself 

Omg if you want to talk about Thailand sure the people expect some knowledge about the subject you want to talk about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DiJoDavO said:

How can you know this while you don't even know where I live and what school I work at? 

It's the students which I teach that I'm talking about. 

Just to note, my school is a private school. It'd be weird if you can afford to send your kid to a private school, but can't afford a microphone or a normal internet connection. 

Don't be too quick to judge next time. 

Ok then you should write that you are talking about a private school then the people in Thailand understand what you are talking about and the people outside maybe, too. If you would mentioned that before everybody could follow but you wrote it in a way like you talk about the majority or majority situation of schools in Thailand. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Omg if you want to talk about Thailand sure the people expect some knowledge about the subject you want to talk about.

Yes, Master . 

I will study harder in future

2 hours ago, gummy said:

Very true and my problem is I always consider Thai females in my arguments as of course we all know the Thai males never actually do reach full maturity by our standards.

Yes some of the males relatives or brothers from the wife better leave outside of  any discussions 😂

2 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

So true and every day we hope it will happen 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

I have heard that one too - and many other horror stories about salary and visas and work permits etc. Maybe for a top of the line private Uni, but even then I have heard they can be very 'difficult' because if you push lazy students or threaten to fail them, their parents will get very angry.  I saw one letter (translated for  me) where the parents stated that did not pay all the money to have their child not given a pass, and that if they were not passed then they would take the matter to Court and sue for insult and demand their money back (they won - no court case happened). 

Agree, that's ridiculous that parents are like that. This is also what I meant in my earlier post. Mostly parents are the problem. Teachers want to solve the problem, but get blocked by the school because of the parents. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Ok then you should write that you are talking about a private school then the people in Thailand understand what you are talking about and the people outside maybe, too. If you would mentioned that before everybody could follow but you wrote it in a way like you talk about the majority or majority situation of schools in Thailand. 

Thank you, will be more clear next time👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Fluke said:

Nearly everyone in Thailand has internet connection and iPhone these days and can access the WWW and get online 

"Internet connection", yes, but far from all have wi-fi and for many (like me!) it's a telephone hotspot - and for all but a few wi-fi has to be paid for.

5 hours ago, Saltire said:

Not in Khon Kaen but here in my village the schools went back Tuesday. None are vaccinated yet but they must have done some testing as 10 students now tested positive. This was announced this morning by the village chief on the tannoy,

Many kids walk by my house on the way to school but none so far today so looks like they are closed again.

Also yesterday did the 3 hour drive to my Immigration Office and noticed at least 5 very large markets have re-opened, huge crowds, mainly all mask-wearing.

Some schools here (Loei province) went back on Monday, but only one of the three nearest.

They had about a 30 - 40% turnout, but passing today it's down to maybe 5 - 10%. Even my neighbour's keeping their grandson at home, and they were pretty keen to get him back to school.

People are just too worried about schools becoming Covid hotspots  while virtually nobody's been vaccinated except government employees and their families, and then mainly with Sinovac.

The district hospital's closed the physio department until further notice, and limited visitors for patients.

Markets are still open, but no weekly "meeting" markets and there's very few people in them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like many families, we have been part of the online learning challenge. My daughter's school return to face to face next week after they get their second Pfizer shot tomorrow. She started back online this week.

I understand the added challenges the teachers have faced in connecting with their students as my daughter only sits a few metres away from me during day as I do things online and she attends online classes. I admire the teachers for trying their best in challenging circumstances.

It was interesting to hear one of the teachers discussing his disagreement with the decision to keep students away this week. At school, the desks are divided and have shields, classes are smaller to have less in the room and distance, masks are required and checked, and sanitiser in use all over the place. Yet students can go and sit together for hours in crowded shopping malls, not with anywhere near the same level of protection? Seems a bit hypocritical!

Now, after school has returned after a break and all this time away, the school has just started building a new dome roof requiring loud construction noise (e.g. jackhammers) which comes through clearly over the online class. Impossible to hear the teacher sometime and some have resorted to Powerpoint presentations and pre-typed phrases to use over online chat just to try and teach. Madness!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Saltire said:

Thanks for the update. I’ll find out the name of the school where my mate works in Khon Kaen and get an update. His school which is a large English speaking school in the centre is closing after today for 7 days and he said the Governor of KK had ordered all schools to do the same??? 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Thanks for the update. I’ll find out the name of the school where my mate works in Khon Kaen and get an update. His school which is a large English speaking school in the centre is closing after today for 7 days and he said the Governor of KK had ordered all schools to do the same??? 

The name of the school is Wittayayon and definitely closed for 7 days as of this evening. He also tells me ALL schools in KK are to close though this is most likely in Muang KK and not surrounding villages. The rationale for this apparently is that it’s not just the two positive cases found, but also a concern over the high number of infections within KK. !! 

Im not sure what the official number of cases was for KK yesterday (probably around 20!). Think it’s time just to ignore the numbers now. It’s like having a debate over next weeks lottery numbers - Pointless

• Like 1