News Forum - 6,600+ arrive on first day of Thailand’s reopening

Thaiger

Thailand reopened yesterday with quarantine free international travel for vaccinated visitors, with more than 6,600 travellers entering the country. It’s a major step forward for the country after closing borders at the start of the pandemic in March 2020. Fully vaccinated passengers from 63 countries can now enter without having to go through quarantine, with just a minimal isolation period in their hotel room to wait for Covid-19 test results. The hope is that this ease of restrictions will provide a much needed boost to the tourism sector over the next few months. Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok welcomed 3,000 […]

The story 6,600+ arrive on first day of Thailand’s reopening as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I couldn't help but be overjoyed by these numbers. Particularly, happy for all those Thais and expats returning home after long separation from loved ones. Come on Thailand! Get vaccinated as soon as you can, so things can go from small to great!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, PatrickSatoLee said:

despite the criticism and cynicism, i am happy for Thailand ! it is a step forward ! 

Thailand deserve something better than to be incompetent managed and did in the past before it was incompetant managed much better. Did you ever thought what great damage they created with all the mess they made. Thailand could be in good condition and not the mess like we saw.

• Like 1

135000 from 3260 flights is the expectation eh .! How long will airlines continue flying expensive jets with a handfull of passengers aboard .. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, PatrickSatoLee said:

despite the criticism and cynicism, i am happy for Thailand ! it is a step forward ! 

No one who really love Thailand would accept the mess and damage they made to this beautifull country. Thailand dersves something better. Your comment is pure cynicism!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

135000 from 3260 flights is the expectation eh .! How long will airlines continue flying expensive jets with a handfull of passengers aboard .. 

That's one way of looking at it . Or another is that airlines have to provide a service for people to want to travel. At the moment the main carriers are not operating a full service. But they have to provide some service otherwise they lose their valuable slots. Expect traffic to pick up as numbers pick up. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

That's one way of looking at it . Or another is that airlines have to provide a service for people to want to travel. At the moment the main carriers are not operating a full service. But they have to provide some service otherwise they lose their valuable slots. Expect traffic to pick up as numbers pick up. 

And I'd further add that an airline goes to many destinations. One route does not decide their profitability. Airlines can afford to have loss making routes for periods as other routes will sustain them. Just because a flight to Bangkok doesn't have many people, doesn't mean that every flight the airline operates doesn't have many people. 

Edited by TheDirtyDurian

2 hours ago, Griff1315 said:

6,600+ arrive on first day of Thailand’s reopening

Nice to see, at least they are not saying Tourists as many obviously was not....

Who is “they”? 

The farang reporter?

8 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Who is “they”? 

The farang reporter?

Don't know Yinn. The original piece in Bangkok Post is just credited to 'post reporters,' so it could be or couldn't be.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Don't know Yinn. The original piece in Bangkok Post is just credited to 'post reporters,' so it could be or couldn't be.

But it hardly matters does it as the message of the report is that 6600 people arrived yesterday.

9 minutes ago, gummy said:

But it hardly matters does it as the message of the report is that 6600 people arrived yesterday.

Pah, derision, scoff.

etc, etc, etc.

My God, I've been bitten by the bug! 😄

• Like 1

It makes no sense to me that Thailand, like many other countries, are courting tourists least likely to visit the country while keeping the hurdles up for those most likely to visit.  Instead of all the mandates, quarantines, vax passports etc that make those afraid of this illness feel a bit safer and slightly more likely to visit; why not drop all of these (in my opinion) pointless steps and welcome those of us who would visit in a heartbeat if allowed?  

Its like opening a bar and making a bunch of restrictions on drinking and encouraging those practicing sobriety to enter.  Mexico is a perfect example.  They have few restrictions on tourists and those not scared of the illness have been entering and enjoying the country.  Tourism is only off 19% from 2019.  So instead of courting the 20% least likely to go they court the 80% most likely to go.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Thaiger said:
10 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok welcomed 3,000

I wonder how people in Bangkok landed at the airport on November 1st and were able to enter the country if yesterday the page for the new thailand pass was opened and the processing according to the thailand pass takes at least 7 days. find the mistake in this newspaper article .. 555

21 minutes ago, Woifal said:

I wonder how people in Bangkok landed at the airport on November 1st and were able to enter the country if yesterday the page for the new thailand pass was opened and the processing according to the thailand pass takes at least 7 days. find the mistake in this newspaper article .. 555

They used COE, which as stated by Embassies and announced here in the forums, till 9 November

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

Using those figures works out at 41 passengers per flight.

10 hours ago, Yinn said:
12 hours ago, Griff1315 said:

6,600+ arrive on first day of Thailand’s reopening

Nice to see, at least they are not saying Tourists as many obviously was not....

Who is “they”? 

The farang reporter?

We don't know, as the Bangkok Post didn't give the reporter's name.

6 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Using those figures works out at 41 passengers per flight.

I know , pony ain't it .. and it won't be helped by the increase in air passenger duty on long haul from Britain , reckoned to put about £100 on the price of a cattle class seat and more for biz' class .. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dedinbed said:

I know , pony ain't it .. and it won't be helped by the increase in air passenger duty on long haul from Britain , reckoned to put about £100 on the price of a cattle class seat and more for biz' class .. 

That budget announcement last week was on flights greater than 5,500 miles (Thailand is around 6,000 miles). How does this work if you book a flight with a hop in to the Middle East for example, with both legs being around 3,000 miles? It also wasn’t clear of this £100 tax was on both legs, making a return flight an extra £200!  Even if it remains at £100, that’s around a 15%-20% mark up on ticket prices! 

• Like 2

The more I think about  this, the more I don't understand the figures.

Just going on Swampy figures quoted by the general manager there, who said 61 flights with 'slightly over' 3,000 passengers. That means 49 passengers per flight.

Why are the airlines keen to fly at such low capacity? Are they banking on the publicity to drive their sales up?
I wonder how much over the odds the passengers might have paid for their tickets?

Did anyone here see the the arrival of all these people? We're relying on official sources for the figures.

Do the flight tracking websites give us data to support the number of flights and passengers?

• Like 1