News Forum - Indonesia approves Novavax Covid-19 vaccine for emergency use

Thaiger

The Indonesian government has approved the Novavax Covid-19 vaccine for emergency use, the first country in the world to do so. The Bangkok Post reports that the manufacturer and its partner, Serum Institute of India, has confirmed the approval. The vaccine will be sold under the brand name Covovax. The manufacturers have applied for emergency use authorisation in several countries, including with the European Medicines Agency, the UK, Australia, India, and Canada. There are also plans to apply for regulatory approval in Japan early next year, according to a statement from Novavax Inc and local partner, Takeda Pharmaceutical Co. The […]

The story Indonesia approves Novavax Covid-19 vaccine for emergency use as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

A blow to the India bashers on this forum! Yet another vaccine from Serum Instute of India, the world's largest manufacturer of vaccines.  It is estimated that about 65% of the children in the world receive at least one vaccine manufactured by Serum Institute. Vaccines manufactured by the Serum Institute are being used in around 170 countries across the globe in their national immunization programs

This should be a good vaccine and I hope it gains approval in Thailand.   It's one of the vaccines NZ has ordered and given preliminary approval.  Australia also pending I believe.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

This should be a good vaccine and I hope it gains approval in Thailand.   It's one of the vaccines NZ has ordered and given preliminary approval.  Australia also pending I believe.

I've been following its development since early 2021 and the more vaccines we have available the better. Both for lower prices and numbers of the worlds people vaccinated. Thailand itself is researching and has started trials on a similarly acting vaccine to Novavax.  It may not be until early 2023 than a full proof (non emergency vaccine) is available so until then this is good news.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Absolutely. 

It seems to be not only nearly as effective as the mRNA vaccines but to avoid any of the controversy.  Good news all round.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many Americans have been waiting for this vaccine, yet the approval process for it has been hampered in the states, whilst other countries are begining to approve it.  Only in America.🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, Saunk said:

Many Americans have been waiting for this vaccine, yet the approval process for it has been hampered in the states, whilst other countries are begining to approve it.  Only in America.🤦‍♂️

Yes, true......