Non O application form worries..

Tanuki

3 hours ago, M.O. said:

My funds came from a purchaser of my crypto-currency. It was a local bank to bank transfer. Does that mean my funds are no good for Non O application?

For a Non O application from a VE or TV entry at an Immigration office that would not be acceptable.

5.1 A letter of guarantee from the bank in Thailand in Thai language (Attention: Immigration Commissioner) 5.2 Copy of all entries of the applicant’s passbook showing that the applicant has a savings or fixed deposit account of not less than Baht 800,000 (all documents must be in the Applicant’s name)
5.3 Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand
**(Documents under 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application and all documents must be in the Applicant’s name.)

3 hours ago, M.O. said:

I recall reading that if the funds have been in the account for a "longer period" that proof of foreign origins is not strictly required. Is that true? And how long is this "longer period" ?

The 800K THB only has to be in the account on the date of application.
There is nothing in any order that suggests if the funds have been in longer, Immigration would not request proof of a foreign transfer, it would be solely at their discretion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Faz said:

Easy to apply yourself.

On entry you'll be granted permission of stay for 30 days. Transfer a suitable amount of funds to your Thai bank account in order to meet the 800K THB requirement and enough for living expenses as soon as possible. You can always apply for a 30 day extension first if you require more time to organise.

Personally, I would apply for the Non O as soon as your 800K is in your account.
All documents should be dated the same day as the application.

5.1 - Standard letter the banks issue for Immigration purposes. It states your name, account number and the account balance.
5.2 - Update your Passbook at the branch when requesting the letter.
5.3 - It must be coded as an International transfer, the funds came from overseas.

If you have a Bangkok Bank account you can use 'Wise' for the transfer. Select the reason of transfer as 'long term stay in Thailand' and the transfer will be coded as 'FTT' in your Passbook (Foreign Telex Transfer) and as 'International' on your bank statement - proof of an overseas transfer transaction.

90 day Non Imm O first > then the 1 year extension.
When you apply for the Non O, you will be granted a further 90 day permission of stay.
Within the last 30 days of that 90 day permission of stay, you can apply for the 1 year extension.

You have to apply for the Non O and 1 year extension at the same Immigration office, in the same Province. Once you have the 1 year extension you can travel wherever you want.

Thanks Faz,

1. so I think I'll have to get myself straight up to Saraburi as soon as my 1 day quarantine is finished in Bangkok. My Bangkok Bank branch is in Jomtien, will the Saraburi branch be able to give me a letter? I might even transfer the money before I leave so it's sitting in my account when I arrive. 

2. If I stay in a hotel or rent a condo do I take TM30's issued to me by them to immigration or do they register me direct with immigration?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Charlie62 said:

1. so I think I'll have to get myself straight up to Saraburi as soon as my 1 day quarantine is finished in Bangkok. My Bangkok Bank branch is in Jomtien, will the Saraburi branch be able to give me a letter? I might even transfer the money before I leave so it's sitting in my account when I arrive. 

You can obtain the standard letter for Immigration and update your Passbook at any Bangkok Bank branch.

If Saraburi will be your permanent place of residence, you may want to consider transferring your account to the Bangkok branch there, otherwise you incur 'out of Province' charges for ATM withdrawals in a different Province to where your account is. Only 15-35 baht a withdrawal, but they add up over the period of a year.

8 hours ago, Charlie62 said:

2. If I stay in a hotel or rent a condo do I take TM30's issued to me by them to immigration or do they register me direct with immigration?

If you stay in a hotel, they are responsible for filing the TM30. You can ask them for a print out of the filing as a receipt.

If you stay in a Condo (private residence) then you should insist on signed copies of the Blue book (Tabien Baan and ID card of the owner as well as a rental contract. (Take multiple copies).
You need to discuss with the Condo owner who will take responsibility for filing the TM30, as the law states;

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.
Section 4. “ House Master ” means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever , in accordance with the law on people act.
Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979) ENG.pdf

You are both the 'tenant' and 'possessor' of the property when renting, thus you are equally responsible to file the TM30, which is why you'll read of foreigners being fined for non compliance.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 3:50 AM, Faz said:

Easy to apply yourself.

On entry you'll be granted permission of stay for 30 days. Transfer a suitable amount of funds to your Thai bank account in order to meet the 800K THB requirement and enough for living expenses as soon as possible. You can always apply for a 30 day extension first if you require more time to organise.

Personally, I would apply for the Non O as soon as your 800K is in your account.
All documents should be dated the same day as the application.

5.1 - Standard letter the banks issue for Immigration purposes. It states your name, account number and the account balance.
5.2 - Update your Passbook at the branch when requesting the letter.
5.3 - It must be coded as an International transfer, the funds came from overseas.

If you have a Bangkok Bank account you can use 'Wise' for the transfer. Select the reason of transfer as 'long term stay in Thailand' and the transfer will be coded as 'FTT' in your Passbook (Foreign Telex Transfer) and as 'International' on your bank statement - proof of an overseas transfer transaction.

90 day Non Imm O first > then the 1 year extension.
When you apply for the Non O, you will be granted a further 90 day permission of stay.
Within the last 30 days of that 90 day permission of stay, you can apply for the 1 year extension.

You have to apply for the Non O and 1 year extension at the same Immigration office, in the same Province. Once you have the 1 year extension you can travel wherever you want.

Sorry for the late thanks Faz, been trying to sort out stuff. Now can concentrate on getting Thailand pass. So thanks again for all your help 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/2/2021 at 10:20 AM, Tan said:

Why Non Imm O visa holder does not need to provide proof of health insurance for extension of long stay in Thailand whereas holder of Non Imm O-A has to submit proof of Health Insurance when applying for Long Stay extension? 

Thai logic!

I understood the requirement for proof of Health Insurance for the 0-A Visa application and a re-entry whilst the Visa was valid as they could stay for almost 2 years without any funds in a Thai bank.

However once they apply to extend there stay at local Immigration offices they are subject to the same financial requirements as those extended who originally obtain a Non O. They must provide evidence of funds in a Thai bank. It was the first time Immigration issued orders that were retroactive, applying to both the Visa applications and extensions.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/14/2021 at 9:25 AM, Charlie62 said:

Thanks Faz,

Hello @Fazthank you for the great advice. I'm curious about this part of your statement from above re: Thai bank deposit:

" and enough for living expenses "

I was under the impression it need only be the amount required ( i.e. THB800,000/£17855 ). If we prefer to transfer money to live on outside of that bank, that should not be a problem would it?  I think you mentioned the https://wise.com/gb/card/ which would/could bypass that account...? 

We? (Sorry, i did not follow all of it!)

If you are 2, both "Farang"/Alien, you need 2x 800k (afaik)

On the other hand: 800k in Bank account  2 month (imho) before the first extension application.

3 month in front of the extension of an extension.

(Both can be dealt with, if using a visa agent!)

Also after the extension is granted, the money need to stay (800k) for 2 or 3 month (sry, I don't touch, so I don't know!), after you can "eat it up" , down to 400k (I got told). Just need to refill 3 month before next extension to 800k, again.

On the other hand, you have granted income? 65.000 would be the minimum, to get an extension with just a little bit money (about 70k or such) in the Thai Bank at all times.

The 65k don't need to come to Thailand, every month, it just needs confirmation from your Embassy, that you have that income in your home country (usually, but perhaps an agent is needed, to straighten immigration question marks!).

also a combination of both is possible, lets say 50k income, 200k in the Bank at all times, 800k in total. 

(Indonesia only wants the proof of 1500 US, which is really easier to calculate!)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Vince said:

Hello @Fazthank you for the great advice. I'm curious about this part of your statement from above re: Thai bank deposit:

" and enough for living expenses "

Hi Vince, you quoted Charles, but I think it was this statement I made that you were referring to.  

On 11/14/2021 at 10:50 AM, Faz said:

The OP intended to apply for a change of status from Tourist to Non Immigrant and obtain a Non O at Immigration. He needs to provide proof of 800,000 BHT in his Thai bank account.
He can't transfer 800,000, then spend 20K in-between, so he'll need additional funds to cover 'living expenses'.

When I entered on a Non O, I transferred 1.2M initially.
800K THB for the extension application and 400K for 'living expenses'. (rent, food, bills, etc).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Faz said:

Hi Vince, you quoted Charles, but I think it was this statement I made that you were referring to.  

The OP intended to apply for a change of status from Tourist to Non Immigrant and obtain a Non O at Immigration. He needs to provide proof of 800,000 BHT in his Thai bank account.
He can't transfer 800,000, then spend 20K in-between, so he'll need additional funds to cover 'living expenses'.

When I entered on a Non O, I transferred 1.2M initially.
800K THB for the extension application and 400K for 'living expenses'. (rent, food, bills, etc).

Thank you, but why is it he:

"..can't transfer 800,000, then spend 20K in-between" ? 

could he not transfer only 800k to Thai bank and (for illustration purposes) get cash from ATMs from non-Thai/foreign bank to live on?

Foreign bank --> Thai bank 800k for visa

Foreign bank --> cash atm, credit card, etc. 

Why are living expenses being run through the Thai bank account? Can't they be paid for with any account?  

Or is there some audit that expenses be paid for using this account? 

34 minutes ago, Vince said:

Thank you, but why is it he:

"..can't transfer 800,000, then spend 20K in-between" ? 

could he not transfer only 800k to Thai bank and (for illustration purposes) get cash from ATMs from non-Thai/foreign bank to live on?

Foreign bank --> Thai bank 800k for visa

Foreign bank --> cash atm, credit card, etc. 

Nothing to stop you doing it that way if you prefer, although if your intended to stay long term (as he was) it could work out expensive with charges. Many use 'Wise' for transfers to get the cheapest transfer fees and good exchange rates.

For annual extension the 800K must remain in the account for 2 months prior to the date of application and for 3 months after being granted the extension. (Fixed untouchable funds). Immigration have been known to ask how you 'pay your way' with 800K essentially frozen.
Showing you have more than 800K, or a separate account for 'living expenses' provides that proof and that your not working illegally, or involved in any other illegal activity to stay here.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Vince said:

Or is there some audit that expenses be paid for using this account? 

Out if my experience, there is no one checking on where your living expenses are coming from, as long you have always the requested amount on the bank account, you showing to immigration.

I know lots of people, having 2 accounts, one for using it for expenses, one for the minimum to show.  I have 2, too. The sec. Account is not of concern for the immigration. They just ask for the bank statement of the 800k account.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Faz said:

Nothing to stop you doing it that way if you prefer, although if your intended to stay long term (as he was) it could work out expensive with charges. Many use 'Wise' for transfers to get the cheapest transfer fees and good exchange rates.

For annual extension the 800K must remain in the account for 2 months prior to the date of application and for 3 months after being granted the extension. (Fixed untouchable funds). Immigration have been known to ask how you 'pay your way' with 800K essentially frozen.
Showing you have more than 800K, or a separate account for 'living expenses' provides that proof and that your not working illegally, or involved in any other illegal activity to stay here.

Ah ok this explains it nicely:

"Showing you have more than 800K, or a separate account for 'living expenses' provides that proof and that your not working illegally, or involved in any other illegal activity to stay here." 

That's what I was looking for.  So it's "highly recommended" but not technically required. Sounds like good advice I will follow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faz said:

Ok a related question @Faz

I've read that the bank accounts travel visa holders can get are limited - no ATM card, no online access and/or other limits. 

These are "savings accounts" which require physical withdrawals? Or do you get a check book? 

in other words, if I put my living expense money in a Thai bank, and that bank wants to limit my ability to use it (online payment or visa debit restrictions) how do I use it to pay rent, buy food, pay AirCon bill, Rabbit card?  Am I pulling large Thai baht out monthly in cash by visiting the bank and walking it over to 7-11 for payments? Or have I got all this wrong? 

5 minutes ago, Vince said:

Ok a related question @Faz

I've read that the bank accounts travel visa holders can get are limited - no ATM card, no online access and/or other limits. 

These are "savings accounts" which require physical withdrawals? Or do you get a check book? 

in other words, if I put my living expense money in a Thai bank, and that bank wants to limit my ability to use it (online payment or visa debit restrictions) how do I use it to pay rent, buy food, pay AirCon bill, Rabbit card?  Am I pulling large Thai baht out monthly in cash by visiting the bank and walking it over to 7-11 for payments? Or have I got all this wrong? 

Debit card, banking app, .....

My accounts are "savings", from quiet some time ago, but still a debit card is given, and the app (QR code payments, transfer, online shopping, top up prepaid phone numbers), even the post paid bills,  are going down.

Thai banks try to switch there customer to cash less, covid is a great help

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Guest1 said:

Debit card, banking app, .....

@Guest1 debit card has visa or Mastercard logo? What payment systems is it a part of? 

Does it just give me access to that banks ATM machines? Other banks?

And bank app means I can deposit or transfer into any account for free? 

Can I buy a pad Thai with it every day or is it for large payments like rent with a per transaction fee? 

1 minute ago, Vince said:

@Guest1 debit card has visa or Mastercard logo? What payment systems is it a part of? 

Does it just give me access to that banks ATM machines? Other banks?

And bank app means I can deposit or transfer into any account for free? 

Can I buy a pad Thai with it every day or is it for large payments like rent with a per transaction fee? 

You can, at least my SCB account does it, pay everything with it, even 20 baht and that many times a day. Just the shop need to support the QR code for that bank or offer you QR code for direct transfer to their account.

I think visa stands on mine, and atms even in singapore are available. Perhaps you may have to tell the bank, you wanna use the debit card outside Thailand. Can't remember that. But inside Thailand it works on every bank, not sure there is a fee with some. There was once a fee even for ATMs of the same bank, but in another province, 30 baht. Long ago, I think.. SCB works for free with Krungsri, at least in covid times. SCB did shut down ATMs and even branches, on Phuket, perhaps that is why?

Usually transfers are free. But I may not did run into the bank/shop, where it wasn't

• Like 1

I hope that this is the correct place to pose my questions.

I am a UK citizen living in Bangkok. Can I get my o visa changed to a B visa so that I can accept a job offer?

I am on an o-visa as a dependent of my British wife who works here.

So far the company that wants to sponsor me has been unable to get the employment agency to issue a work permit, which would be needed for a change of purpose from O to B.

Anyone have experience of this?

Also, if this process is eventually successful and I subsequently have no jobfor some reason, would I be able to get back onto an O visa dependent on my spouse?

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

From what I have read, a change in visa while in Thailand is only possible for a tourist visa (or visa exempt) to a Non O. Changes to/from other visas require leaving the country and applying for a new visa while outside Thailand.

21 hours ago, Brucethething said:

I am a UK citizen living in Bangkok. Can I get my o visa changed to a B visa so that I can accept a job offer?

Theoretically you can change between Visa types, but as usual this is at Immigrations discretion.
Change visa (NON-B) – สำนักงานตรวจคนเข้าเมือง – Immigration Bureau

Issuing and Changing Type of Visa – Immigration Division1 | กองบังคับการตรวจคนเข้าเมือง 1