News Forum - Thailand re-opens: minimal quarantine for vaccinated tourists from 63 countries

Thaiger

From today, vaccinated tourists from 63 countries can enter Thailand (by air only) with minimal quarantine requirements. Fully inoculated tourists from approved countries only need to wait in their hotel room for the result of their PCR test and are then free to go where they like. The move has been welcomed by a tourism sector crushed by the Covid-19 pandemic. The Thai government initially released a list of 46 countries from where vaccinated tourists could enter the kingdom, but then added another 17 countries to the list. The new additions are India, Taiwan, Laos, Myanmar, the Philippines, Croatia, Indonesia, […]

The story Thailand re-opens: minimal quarantine for vaccinated tourists from 63 countries as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"TAT is now expecting over 1 million tourists to come in the next 6 months, or about 300,000 per month.” Err, it's actually closer to half that per month. Should someone tell them?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard61 said:

"TAT is now expecting over 1 million tourists to come in the next 6 months, or about 300,000 per month.” Err, it's actually closer to half that per month. Should someone tell them?

Don't bother, the exchange rates will determine how well they have reached their dreamt of targets eventually.

5 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

remind me why quarantine is needed for vaccinated tourists while less than 50% of locals are vaccinated?

Because locals don't stay in overpriced hotels owned by the elite generally

I wonder if there were Thai officials with clicker counters at the arrival gates?? This is a start after a start. I understand the figures of vaccinated people are 70% over 18 now fully vaccinated. That was required for the sandbox to open. I think as long as international tourists are careful, it will be ok. The point of caution is interacting with the the general public. On the downside, not the nightlife. On the upside, clean waters, beautiful beaches, wildlife and nature, and beautiful places to stay and visit. 

• Like 1

Thailand re-opens: minimal quarantine for vaccinated tourists from 63 countries

Day One of Opening--NOW its MINIMAL Quarantine........the devil peeks out from behind his mask..

We all said it was Q but is the first time Ive seen it in print during this whole "plan"...

And issues with the Thai pass site already......good grief...Amazing Thailand Indeed.....(another long sigh)

Any predictions when thais will show in the towel on this whole charade?....

This letter in the Bangkok Post Post bag caught my eye today. This is what Thailand is up against. Greece has more double vaccinated than Thailand at 61% compared to 45%. However, the approach to the services offered to tourists should they become sick is what caught my eye! Chalk & Cheese come to mind

Greece has it right

Re: "Govt ramps up reopening plan", (BP, Oct 23).

With all the hoopla over the much-anticipated "reopening" of Thailand and claims by the government to make entry of international visitors simple and easy, I decided to check out what some of Thailand's competitors are doing. Greece was one country that caught my attention.

Greece is described as a Mediterranean paradise.

It's blessed with sun-splashed sandy beaches, great food and drink, hospitable locals, and fascinating history and culture.

Greece welcomes fully vaccinated international tourists with no PCR testing on arrival, no quarantine, no designated hotel stays, no restrictions on in-country travel, and no proof of insurance.

Visitors can enjoy a glass of wine or beer with their meals (even between 2pm and 5pm!) and pubs are open late into the night 

Tourists are not tested for Covid at any time during their stay except to prepare for their flights home, if so required by the airline or their home country.

If an international visitor should have the misfortune to contract Covid-19 while they are in Greece, as a few have done, the government provides free medical care and covers the cost of the tourists' stay in a quarantine hotel, including three tasty meals a day.

Now, that is how you attract international tourists in today's world -- not by throwing up numbingly confusing requirements, restrictions and costs!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

This letter in the Bangkok Post Post bag caught my eye today. This is what Thailand is up against. Greece has more double vaccinated than Thailand at 61% compared to 45%. However, the approach to the services offered to tourists should they become sick is what caught my eye! Chalk & Cheese come to mind

Greece has it right

Re: "Govt ramps up reopening plan", (BP, Oct 23).

With all the hoopla over the much-anticipated "reopening" of Thailand and claims by the government to make entry of international visitors simple and easy, I decided to check out what some of Thailand's competitors are doing. Greece was one country that caught my attention.

Greece is described as a Mediterranean paradise.

It's blessed with sun-splashed sandy beaches, great food and drink, hospitable locals, and fascinating history and culture.

Greece welcomes fully vaccinated international tourists with no PCR testing on arrival, no quarantine, no designated hotel stays, no restrictions on in-country travel, and no proof of insurance.

Visitors can enjoy a glass of wine or beer with their meals (even between 2pm and 5pm!) and pubs are open late into the night 

Tourists are not tested for Covid at any time during their stay except to prepare for their flights home, if so required by the airline or their home country.

If an international visitor should have the misfortune to contract Covid-19 while they are in Greece, as a few have done, the government provides free medical care and covers the cost of the tourists' stay in a quarantine hotel, including three tasty meals a day.

Now, that is how you attract international tourists in today's world -- not by throwing up numbingly confusing requirements, restrictions and costs!

Pack my bags for Greece to go island hopping