News Forum - Suan Dusit Poll: It’s time for an election and Prayut wouldn’t win

Thaiger

A new Suan Dusit Poll conducted by Suan Dusit Rajabhat University revealed that the majority of Thai people are ready for a new general election and think early 2022 is the time for it. Over 70% of people surveyed felt that Thailand is ready now for new elections, while only just under 23% opposed the idea, with just under 7% unsure. The poll also showed PM Prayut Chan-o-cha would lose an election held now to Move Forward Party leader Pita Limjaroenrat. The poll interviewed 1,186 people online between October 25 and October 28 about their opinions regarding PM Prayut and […]

The story Suan Dusit Poll: It’s time for an election and Prayut wouldn’t win as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Various polls have different figures. Some actually have PM Prayut holding power narrowly. Be good to see a change and the Junta out but in these Covid19 times I certainly don't think Jurin and especially Anutin will make a huge difference for the better.

Starting to get to the dirty tactics time in politics. 

Wonder how many of these up and coming politicians will have suspect charges laid against them and get taken out of circulation by Prayut and co.

On the bright side at least they will be alive, unlike a neighbouring country where the opposition are shot in drive bys by unknowns.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

The poll also showed PM Prayut Chan-o-cha would lose an election held now to Move Forward Party leader Pita Limjaroenrat

It doesn't matter what the poll shows sadly.
Our illustrious leader has changed the constitution to suit himself and his Dr Evil henchmen. So he's bound to win.

Why do you think it now takes a couple of weeks to declare the election results, when before it was known overnight, or within two days at most.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Bluesofa said:

It doesn't matter what the poll shows sadly.
Our illustrious leader has changed the constitution to suit himself and his Dr Evil henchmen. So he's bound to win.

Why do you think it now takes a couple of weeks to declare the election results, when before it was known overnight, or within two days at most.

Yep but will he dodge the bullet in 2023 ?

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

...the majority of Thai people are ready for a new general election ...

"ready"?

That wasn't quite what the poll said .....

• Like 1

As well know very well by now, the leading candidates in these polls normally get disqualified and their political party dissolved by the Supreme Court just ahead of the election. 

iu-27.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Do it now. MFP any way taken will be a breathe of fresh air. But we all know what will happen afterwards. Yep back to square one of the tanks rolling in as these junta and elites will not let anyone take them out especially because of the ones they protect. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HolyCowCm said:

Do it now. MFP any way taken will be a breathe of fresh air. But we all know what will happen afterwards. Yep back to square one of the tanks rolling in as these junta and elites will not let anyone take them out especially because of the ones they protect. 

And as I have said before , to kill a snake you need to cut it's head off

3 hours ago, gummy said:

... to kill a snake you need to cut it's head off

The snake I think you are referring to is worth $43 billion.

I was in Thailand when the former head of state died, then back for his funeral, then back again when the new head of state was crowned. Every time I come to Thailand it coincides with a major event. But if you could just hold off on an election till April 2022 when I'm back home, that would be great! I don't want to be there when there are riots on the streets and mass protests about an election result!

11 hours ago, gummy said:

And as I have said before , to kill a snake you need to cut it's head off

I would love to fully comment on this, but for just a small statement it would take all the conscripts and a huge movement from all of the insides with masses of the millions getting involved. Inevitably it would take some bloodshed in order to get a new way life here for the Thai.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

I would love to fully comment on this, but for just a small statement it would take all the conscripts and a huge movement from all of the insides with masses of the millions getting involved. Inevitably it would take some bloodshed in order to get a new way life here for the Thai.

And that is the way it has always been, no pain no gain.

15 hours ago, Jason said:

I was in Thailand when the former head of state died, then back for his funeral, then back again when the new head of state was crowned. Every time I come to Thailand it coincides with a major event. But if you could just hold off on an election till April 2022 when I'm back home, that would be great! I don't want to be there when there are riots on the streets and mass protests about an election result!

My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the PM needs to be elected by the House (500) and Senate (250). But the Senate is picked by the military. So... if that is true, it means the junta side start out every election 250 votes ahead out of total 750. So the anti-junta side would need to gain more than twice as many votes to ever have a PM. That is not what I'd call democracy, not even quasi. 

• Like 2

How does parliament work there in Thailand ?

Can the House create news laws on its own? Or does the Senate also need to approve it ?

If the Senate is all military appointed, well..... that means nothing can ever happen that the military does not want. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Foreigner said:

My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the PM needs to be elected by the House (500) and Senate (250). But the Senate is picked by the military. So... if that is true, it means the junta side start out every election 250 votes ahead out of total 750.

correct.

But also have a rule one side can not have too many vote. Have maximum. Cap.

Party seats are distributed by a system that “caps” the total number of seats any one party can gain, based on their percentage of total votes cast nationwide.

link

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-election-rules-explainer-idUSKCN1R20OV

14 hours ago, Foreigner said:

So the anti-junta side would need to gain more than twice as many votes to ever have a PM. That is not what I'd call democracy, not even quasi. 

Actually the “anti Junta sides” won more 376 seats to win.

Now what they going to do???

So then delay election result for weeks. Make new plan.

Those weeks Prayut help the “anti junta sides” change the mind. 
eg Anutin promise that he will not join together with Prayut before the election if not get majority. But after people vote for Anutin BECAUSE HE PROMISE THAT, he win a lot, then join Prayut team. 
Because he change his mind Prayut side can “win” 

Democrazy.

Another thing. FF is very popular. Refuse to join Prayut. So they kick out Thanatorn for having share in the tourist magazine. (For what?) But if he export heroin, is no problem.

Another thing. The red shirt number two team was cancelled before the election. Because of a sister will be the leader. And win sure. 

Another thing. Before election have rule the “anti junta sides” can not meet more than 4 together, or promotion themself. But the junta side can, and use taxpayer money for promotion. 

Another thing. Vote buying. “Anti junta side” can not. But..... you know. 

• Like 2

On 11/1/2021 at 6:33 AM, Jason said:

Well perhaps there won't be an election until 2023. The PM has said he will not resign, I guess as the trough is getting regularly filled. On that note the other half of the military I guess could stage a coup next year so as to take their turn. 

Yeah it seems as if this article suggesitng that Prayut would not win is misleading to the point of being deliberately deceptive, implying there's hope for change where there is not. Anyone reasonably familiar with the election system would know that is is just false to suggest the anti-junta side would "win" if the election was held now. We out in the rest of the world think "win" an election means that your side takes the top PM position, has a majority in parliament, holds the upper hand in policy-making. Clearly that is the opposite of what can possibly happen with this setup. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't waste time on it, as wasting your time is clearly what it is.

You have no vote so your opinions dont count. That may be unpalatable to you but that's the way it is.

No, I can't vote there. But I do at least seem to have the right to post my opinion here. 

It's interesting that even here, one side seems to have the right to post their false and misleading version of facts, while the other side seems not to have an opinion that should count. 

Unless my post gets deleted, the way it is, is that my opinion is now up here and counts as much as anyone's. Here at least. 

Maybe Thais have to put up with a raw deal shoved down their throat. But I'm not Thai, so I can call out bullshit when I see it. 

I can't tell which side (if any) you are on about this issue. Probably we agree. 

19 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

No, I can't vote there. But I do at least seem to have the right to post my opinion here. 

It's interesting that even here, one side seems to have the right to post their false and misleading version of facts, while the other side seems not to have an opinion that should count. 

Unless my post gets deleted, the way it is, is that my opinion is now up here and counts as much as anyone's. Here at least. 

Maybe Thais have to put up with a raw deal shoved down their throat. But I'm not Thai, so I can call out bullshit when I see it. 

I can't tell which side (if any) you are on about this issue. Probably we agree. 

On here you can do what you wish, and enjoy yourself, within reason.

But its pretty pointless expecting anything to happen. I'm a neutral. I go with the flow.

Thats cool. I wonder why the need to post the BS on a forum that seems to be for foreigners. If we don't count (you're right there), why propagandize at us. It's not a real democracy, most in the country know it, so get real, stop the effort to persuade us it is. Not buying. 

On 11/1/2021 at 1:09 AM, Bangkok_Gary said:

The snake I think you are referring to is worth $43 billion.

No

He has 43 Billion 

Hes not worth a $hit

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Poolie said:

On here you can do what you wish, and enjoy yourself, within reason.

But its pretty pointless expecting anything to happen. I'm a neutral. I go with the flow.

Yeah as long as going with the flow keeps the Red Flag Flying...