News Forum - Reopening Monday: AoT ready for 30k at Suvarnabhumi Airport

Thaiger

With the November 1 reopening just around the corner, Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport is gearing up and expects to see 30,000 passenger arrivals on Monday for the first day of reopening. The Airports of Thailand say that they are ready at all 6 of their international airports for the arrival of international tourists again. Current Suvarnabhumi air traffic data shows a rush of arriving flights on Monday: 100 cargo flights, 230 domestic flights, and an encouraging 110 international flights are scheduled for a total of 440 commercial flights landing at the airport on Monday. Of the touted 30,000 number, 7,000 passengers […]

The story Reopening Monday: AoT ready for 30k at Suvarnabhumi Airport as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I expect there will be a large proportion of returning Thais and expats. I can't say Bangkok would be the airport I want to use. I'm going to Phuket, I'll get a direct flight there and home and only transit if I absolutely have to. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

7000 tourists on 110 flights is average 64 a flight ? 

@Griff1315 is going to have some trouble pushing those 64 into his Cessna 152, let alone get it off the ground 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

@Griff1315 is going to have some trouble pushing those 64 into his Cessna 152, let alone get it off the ground 🤣🤣🤣

It just makes you wonder where 110 half empty flights are coming from if same country why not cancel one and fill another! 

Oh for Griff1315 velcro may do the trick who said just 64 inside ! 🤣

Screenshot_20211030-145916_Google.jpg

• Haha 4

Filter out the baloney after the 30k headline grabber and it's " expected " 7000 will be internationalista's but surely given all the flaming hoops that have to be jumped thru' via the COE for every individual attempting to enter then you would have thought they would have a far more accurate figure than 7000 " expected " and as MalcThai has pointed out already if that is to be believed then it's not a lot of bums on seats per plane for airlines to make any dollars .. 

Edited by Dedinbed
Splleign
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

Kinda like the way the maths have been done :))) Question is...is the hospital system ready? Are the population vaccinated?

That has always been my biggest worry, unvaccinated locals 

• Like 4

utter BS 30,000 my ar$e.

still seats available on my Cessna as Bob20 two Indian friends had to cancel.....🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

196 common-use self-service kiosks have been added to provide less close-distance interactions, as well as 42 common-use bag drops to create accelerated procedures while keeping social distancing a priority.

I was trying to work out how arrivals could use "self-service kiosks", until I realised they were for departures who are expected to check in "6 to 12 hours before departure".

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Stonker said:

I was trying to work out how arrivals could use "self-service kiosks", until I realised they were for departures who are expected to check in "6 to 12 hours before departure".

Yes I had to read twice and presumed it was also for domestic flights too.. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Stonker said:

who are expected to check in "6 to 12 hours before departure".

Online check-in, then kiosk for seating & boarding pass/baggage labels at airport, bag drop, and therefore no human contact .... in theory, except it will be a shambles and staff-assist will be necessary for all but regular travellers.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Online check-in, then kiosk for seating & boarding pass/baggage labels at airport, bag drop, and therefore no human contact .... in theory, except it will be a shambles and staff-assist will be necessary for all but regular travellers.

So an unlimited baggage allowance ... that'll keep the Indians happy ...

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Stonker said:

So an unlimited baggage allowance ... that'll keep the Indians happy ...

What makes you think that?  Bags are weighed at the bag drop kiosk and overweight generates an extra fee.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

What makes you think that?  Bags are weighed at the bag drop kiosk and overweight generates an extra fee.

Simply that if it's unmanned then there's rather a lot of scope for not putting a bag on the scale properly, holding it up, swopping bags to get the labels, etc, etc.

Where it's a completely new system replacing the old one, like Southampton, there are safeguards built in but there's nothing to suggest that's the case here.

Just a passing thought, having seen all sorts of tricks even with the 'old' supervised system, nothing more.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Simply that if it's unmanned then there's rather a lot of scope for not putting a bag on the scale properly, holding it up, swopping bags to get the labels, etc, etc.

Where it's a completely new system replacing the old one, like Southampton, there are safeguards built in but there's nothing to suggest that's the case here.

Just a passing thought, having seen all sorts of tricks even with the 'old' supervised system, nothing more.

I'm pretty sure these systems are secured against most of those old tricks.  🤓  I recall a trial bag drop in NZ or might've been Greece(?), had a detector if any body part was too close to the scales it barked a warning to 'move back, weighing in progress' or something similar.

I'll miss the old ways of selecting the happiest looking check-in chick, putting on an engaging smile while the missus hides a bulging extra carry-on below the counter. 🥴

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

I'm pretty sure these systems are secured against most of those old tricks.  🤓  I recall a trial bag drop in NZ or might've been Greece(?), had a detector if any body part was too close to the scales it barked a warning to 'move back, weighing in progress' or something similar.

I'll miss the old ways of selecting the happiest looking check-in chick, putting on an engaging smile while the missus hides a bulging extra carry-on below the counter. 🥴

If she was really cute, you might be the one hiding it.... 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Not all automated systems are alike but here's one example >

KR. I used one in New Zealand flying domestically and it worked like a charm. The only drama (if you could call it that) was explained to me by a very stout and friendly Maori lass that said if the boarding pass gets a fold or a bad data read then staff must help the passenger. Otherwise this system works well. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mickkotlarski said:

KR. I used one in New Zealand flying domestically and it worked like a charm. The only drama (if you could call it that) was explained to me by a very stout and friendly Maori lass that said if the boarding pass gets a fold or a bad data read then staff must help the passenger. Otherwise this system works well. 

So you folded it a few times then? 🙄

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

So you folded it a few times then? 🙄

She was a charming lass but not sexy enough to warrant folding the boarding pass Bob.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, mickkotlarski said:

She was a charming lass but not sexy enough to warrant folding the boarding pass Bob.

Just as well, because that room is too small and the door only closes about 15 seconds 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Griff1315 said:

utter BS 30,000 my ar$e.

still seats available on my Cessna as Bob20 two Indian friends had to cancel.....🤣

Now is the question expecting is booked flights or another wish prediction from the TAT. And international flights they are expecting 7000 passengers minus Thai returnees, business people, people who come for working or service. So it would be interesting how much real foreign tourists will arive on monday. It seams not a lot.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Now is the question expecting is booked flights or another wish prediction from the TAT. And international flights they are expecting 7000 passengers minus Thai returnees, business people, people who come for working or service. So it would be interesting how much real foreign tourists will arive on monday. It seams not a lot.

About a Cessna full if I can sell the last few wing strap slots....🤣

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Griff1315 said:

About a Cessna full if I can sell the last few wing strap slots....🤣

Yes, sell the premium wing seats first before you move to the undercarriage 😉 And if you're likely to get overbooked, just tell them they need to wear a facemask and there's no alcohol! That'll stop the rush.

• Haha 3