News Forum - Pattaya frustrated by exclusion from alcohol ban lift in restaurants

Thaiger

While a great many people are thrilled with the plans to allow alcohol to be sold in the key tourism blue zones of Bangkok, Phuket, Krabi, and Phang Nga, there are some who are very angry about it: Pattaya business owners. Local tourism operators a not too pleased that Pattaya and its world-famous wild nightlife that draws millions of visitors each year was omitted from the list of provinces that could sell alcohol in restaurants starting Monday. The president of the Pattaya Business and Tourism Association argued that the city deserves to be included in the zones that are allowed […]

The story Pattaya frustrated by exclusion from alcohol ban lift in restaurants as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

7 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Yesterday Chon Buri had 382 new infections, less than half that of Bangkok, and only 48 of those were in Bang Lamung district where Pattaya is situated.

A very fair article, although obviously Chonburi province's population is about a sixth of Bangkok's so while they may have less than half the cases the rate is actually three times as high - not that local infection rate's seem to have ever been of any interest to the decision makers.

• Like 2

"...He complains that Pattaya is being kneecapped in the race to attract international tourism revenue back int to Thailand when other provinces can sell beer and they can’t, as many – if not a majority – of foreign tourists want to at least have a drink with a meal..."

My sympathies to the Pattaya business community; I also think that they are getting screwed.

This to me is a text book example of the current government tending to its base of support (Bangkok Middle-Class) while ignoring issues of fairness and decency. It is a truism in Thailand that a government that controls Bangkok has no real fear of being overthrown, but we have all seen the case where a government's base of support is outside of the city and it gets 'removed with extreme prejudice'. 

Pander to the business community/middle-class of Bangkok, and slip a wee shiv into their nearest competitor for the foreign tourist.

Par for the course.

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

"...He complains that Pattaya is being kneecapped in the race to attract international tourism revenue back int to Thailand when other provinces can sell beer and they can’t, as many – if not a majority – of foreign tourists want to at least have a drink with a meal..."

My sympathies to the Pattaya business community; I also think that they are getting screwed.

This to me is a text book example of the current government tending to its base of support (Bangkok Middle-Class) while ignoring issues of fairness and decency. It is a truism in Thailand that a government that controls Bangkok has no real fear of being overthrown, but we have all seen the case where a government's base of support is outside of the city and it gets 'removed with extreme prejudice'. 

Pander to the business community/middle-class of Bangkok, and slip a wee shiv into their nearest competitor for the foreign tourist.

Par for the course.

I am not sure of the reasoning behind the decision, and tbh, I am not sure the TH gov is either.

But we are seeing the thin end of the wedge, and I'd be inclined to think that booze will be everywhere by Jan 1st. The pressure to get the 18% of GDP that is tourism working again is building, and I don't see that the piecemeal changes that are being introduced are giving this the necessary momentum.

• Like 4

I understand Pattaya is eager to get tourists back. It's the lifeblood of the place. What can I say? Right now vaccination is more important than alcohol. If vaccines are made available, then a mass vaccination needs to happen. It's the only way out of the crisis. 

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

25 minutes ago, Rip255 said:

Good to see my lobbying for the closure of these dive bars has had an impact.

Barflys out ---》high quality tourists in

Why are you lobbying to get rid of a tourist attraction for your "quality" mates?

They all go to these sleazy places at least once on their trips to have something to gossip about when they go home to their afternoon tea partys.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

34 minutes ago, Rip255 said:

Good to see my lobbying for the closure of these dive bars has had an impact.

Barflys out ---》high quality tourists in

Troll alert!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, palooka said:

Why are you lobbying to get rid of a tourist attraction for your "quality" mates?

They all go to these sleazy places at least once on their trips to have something to gossip about when they go home to their afternoon tea partys.

Yes but those types pretend they don't which is why I would say there is more quality in tourists that admit to drinking and womanising than the low quality hypocrites who deny it, yet do it behind their partners backs. 

What can anyone expect, it's always going to be in favour of those in BKK, now if only there was some way to divert the cash flow made in Pattaya during the good times so that it didn't fill the pockets of the hi-so elite in BKK, I wonder what the outcome of that would be.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gummy said:

Yes but those types pretend they don't which is why I would say there is more quality in tourists that admit to drinking and womanising than the low quality hypocrites who deny it, yet do it behind their partners backs. 

My world doesn’t revolve around such things, but to each his own. There are good reasons for this decision.u

4 hours ago, EdwardV said:

Understandable to say the least, Pattaya without alcohol and nightlife, might as well go somewhere else in Thailand instead. 

Here in the Philippines, nightlife is open everywhere.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ace035 said:

Yes, so I see😳. Did the decision to open up happen around March or April 2021?  The attached pictures shows why I ask. 

34E08291-2A72-4028-B360-47EBF0842BD7.jpeg

• Like 3

They want Pattaya dead in the water to rid them of its sleazy reputation. Still too many bars being refurbished here - extra time needed to make those owners bankrupt.

• Like 1

Harder to knock down all those night clubs and bars on the water front when they are filled with customers again. If that development goes ahead Pattaya will be dead in the water anyway revenue wise. 

12 hours ago, ace035 said:

Great.

No-one allowed in so what's the point? A load of ex-GI's can drink and whore all night at a much diminished Fields Avenue?

• Like 3

It is unfair, however it reveals the government's ulterior motive, as if any of us need a map to see the chess pieces being moved around.  Never let a fortuitous crisis go to waste.

Pattaya is a proverbial Heroin addict.  Result of prolonged lockdowns represents an engineered rock bottom, which is when rehab is most likely to succeed.  

Objective, clinical POV?  As much as I hate to say it, and for all his faults, the current PM is likely the only one able to resist the addict's protests and desperate pleading, and see this thing through for Pattaya's own long-term good.  Now is the time.

Voices in denial will eventually fade away. 

Punters will find a way, go elsewhere, or, who knows... if allowed, some of it may transfer over to the Dark Side.  I suspect many East Pattaya residents wouldn't be happy about that either.

In any case, Thais will adapt, fill the void and exploit the new situation, as they do.

16 hours ago, LoongFred said:

My world doesn’t revolve around such things, but to each his own. There are good reasons for this decision.u

Reminds me of my mate Isan John...

On 10/30/2021 at 1:23 PM, AussieBob said:

Does the Junta actually discuss things with the Provinces - dont bother answering that 😆

Yes and don't expect any common sense, competence, skills, responsibility or that they are to think from them. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Somebody must be a Clown to advocat Clowns or a mindset of kindergarten kids like them never was an adult who knows what competence, skills, responsibility is. Every adult who had to work in a international company needed responsibility, develop skills and competence and is able to see on which level these guys are. A behaviour and mindset like kindergartenkids, no competence or skills . In no company I worked my life they would get any job and I guess you never worked for a international company or in a developed country. Sombody must be a clown or a mindset of a kindergartenkid to advocat it because no responsible adult who not lost his mind or is not dumb like hell would do it. I guess you not exactly know what competence is and for adults in the outside world they ask themself how could it be that this clowns and kindergarten could be in charge. But for sure first you have to know about what is competence, skills and responsibilty and therefore you must be an adult and some minimum education.