Will the nightlife scene survive it's Covid-hibernation..?

Tanuki

So, it is almost time to re-open the sleepy town of Hua Hin.. But how much of it will wake up..?

My wife (who is a bar-owner in the 'Binta-Block' area) has just had a meeting with the landlady of the building we rent...

..& the upshot of the meeting was that the rent for the bar/building is going to be increased substantially once we open it up again..!

Now I am still in the UK at the moment, so are unable to talk with other bar-owners I know, but as most of this area is owned by Thai/Chinese, IF this is going to be the norm once we are allowed to open up & serve beer again, then there may well be lots of venues with their shutters staying firmly down.  (I have in the past advised owners that when the landlord/lady hikes up the already costly rent right up, the best plan is to strip the place completely, and walk away/cut your losses)

(Us included... Wifey already has had meetings with landlords/ladies across town away from Bintabaat..where rental figures are much more realistic)

There has always been a rumour that the 'powers that be' will shut down the Binta-Block area, & for years I've told folk that it will shut itself down due to financial pressure from all concerned.. Well for all those yrs I did not expect Covid to play a part in this, but hey-ho.

Of course the next step if Binta DOES stay closed will be the bulldozers/diggers..then it will look like the pier-area & Poolsuk Rd, not really Paradise City after all.

Just now, Tanuki said:

So, it is almost time to re-open the sleepy town of Hua Hin.. But how much of it will wake up..?

My wife (who is a bar-owner in the 'Binta-Block' area) has just had a meeting with the landlady of the building we rent...

..& the upshot of the meeting was that the rent for the bar/building is going to be increased substantially once we open it up again..!

Now I am still in the UK at the moment, so are unable to talk with other bar-owners I know, but as most of this area is owned by Thai/Chinese, IF this is going to be the norm once we are allowed to open up & serve beer again, then there may well be lots of venues with their shutters staying firmly down.  (I have in the past advised owners that when the landlord/lady hikes up the already costly rent right up, the best plan is to strip the place completely, and walk away/cut your losses)

(Us included... Wifey already has had meetings with landlords/ladies across town away from Bintabaat..where rental figures are much more realistic)

There has always been a rumour that the 'powers that be' will shut down the Binta-Block area, & for years I've told folk that it will shut itself down due to financial pressure from all concerned.. Well for all those yrs I did not expect Covid to play a part in this, but hey-ho.

Of course the next step if Binta DOES stay closed will be the bulldozers/diggers..then it will look like the pier-area & Poolsuk Rd, not really Paradise City after all.

Well Thai economics is that if you are selling a product for x THB and sales decrease 50% then you double the sale price. Same with property owners and I heard yesterday of 2 such cases in Pattaya so you are not alone unfortunately. 

11 hours ago, Tanuki said:

Very sad but unsurprising post OP.

Liviing in a very rural area Hua Hin was the wife and I's escape from the village many times. We spent many nights in Bintabaht, mainly in the Beer Garden, now long defunct and I hear not coming back. Sadly I think what you report here about rents and landlords will be the final nail in the coffin, not just for many individual bars, but entire areas as many seem to be owned by the same families.

Shame, but it seems in many ways, Thailand can't or won't change.

2 hours ago, Sarisin said:

Does this mean no anti nightlife posts are allowed? I read the rules and cannot see anything said there.

No, discussion of night-life is fine as long as it does not degenerate into disparaging comments regarding owners and staff, especially bar-girls, of some establishments.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 2:42 AM, Sarisin said:

Does this mean no anti nightlife posts are allowed? I read the rules and cannot see anything said there.

How can someone be 'anti-nightlife' ? If you're not into it then don't partake - simple really.

I think for me Binta has been on death row for quite a while and some of the rents are insane - which is a shame as it use to be a decent alternative to the more desperate Soi 80. Apart from the few bars near the temple I haven't seen more than 1 customer in most bars for a very long time. Most of the girls there are long long past their prime but clearly eating well ! Sad really.

Many owners managed to 'escape' and switched from up to 90k a month rent in Binta to the sala bars in 94 where you'll get more customers, there's a better buzz,  the bars are quite busy and the rent is 9k a month - it's a no brainer.

It also doesn't help that a number of bars have a reputation for padding the bills (though to be fair I think around 75% of ALL bars do that now) - and one popular dance bar beginning with 'P' and ending in 'a' tend to serve vodka and tonics without the vodka and when pulled up on it, don't even argue, they just go back to the bar and get you it !! 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 4:41 PM, Benroon said:

How can someone be 'anti-nightlife' ? If you're not into it then don't partake - simple really.

It's quite simple not everyone thinks it's a good business for many reasons, associated crime, drug taking, mental illness, physical health and traffiking. Not partaking in it does does not exclude people discussing in on a public forum

31 minutes ago, Sarisin said:

It's quite simple not everyone thinks it's a good business for many reasons, associated crime, drug taking, mental illness, physical health and traffiking. Not partaking in it does does not exclude people discussing in on a public forum

You're overstating it in my opinion. I enjoy the nightlife, its part of the package. I know numerous owners and dozens of their employees. I'm not aware of the crime 'associated' with it, what in particular are you referring to ? I don't know a single bar owner/employee who is a druggy, and as for trafficking I think you're getting your countries mixed up - I'm not saying its non existent but not on the scale you are suggesting - any employee I know isn't handing over a penny to any pimp as you suggest and bar owners are generally extremely protective of the well being of their staff. No-one I know is forced to do anything. It's not a life I would choose for my daughter for sure but it's their choice and I have yet to see any signs of abuse/coercion.

You're right that you shouldn't be excluded from any conversation on it, but you would be better served if you had a better knowledge of it instead of an incomplete image you have built up in your head.

• Like 1