Useful Thai phrases for an amazing trip in Thailand

Thaiger

Whether you’re travelling to Thailand for business or leisure, it’s always great to know a little bit of the local language. Learning basic Thai phrases means showing effort and respect to the local culture. It will help ease interactions between you and the locals, making your trip a lot easier and enjoyable. Since Thai is a tonal language, it can be challenging to learn. You’re likely going to make mistakes at first, but don’t let that discourage you. Even if you pronounce something wrong, most locals will still appreciate your effort and may even help you pronounce it the right […]

The story Useful Thai phrases for an amazing trip in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Members, a level of Moderation discretion has been applied to this one thread to allow Thai words and phrases to be shown as examples in direct response to the topic, providing such words and phrases are immediately followed by an English Translation.

Posts that are in the Moderators' opinion to be unaligned to the intent of the thread or simply being used to breach other rules, e.g. vulgarity, will be removed.

• Like 1

I have always tried to learn a little of the language of every country I have been to. Isn't it the ultimate mark of respect to speak a few words in their language..... The only ones who seem to be offended are the French. The French don't mind what you do, as long as you pronounce it correctly! Do take the time to learn a few phrases. Most Thais, I have found are delighted to hear their language being spoken by visitors, especially when accompanied by the "Wai".  

6 hours ago, Transam said:

My "Chek Bin", always brings a smile to the locals... 🤭

And causes my S.O. to roll her eyes. She's strictly a kit ngern kind of girl. (kit = think or figure, ngern = money).

OMG! I just read the article. "hee-yoo"? Really? It's one syllable: "hiu" like "few".

First, the transliteration of most of the sounds is just plain wrong. "Not spicy – Mai Pet", sure, but then why is "I want it to be very spicy – Ao Phed-Phed" and not "ao pet-pet" or "ao pet maak"? Very inconsistent, "khrap" is shown as "khap" and "krap" but then "khap" is also shown as the "thank" part of "thank you" when it's actually more like "khop". This "guide" is really worse than wrong.

If you're interested in Thai, check out the Thai Language Thread and post any questions https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/4428-thai-language-thread

Nobody there will ever tell you anything like: "Yes/No – Chai/Ma or Da/Mai Dai". Ever.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This guide is not as bad as some of the other commenters have said. While it's not perfect, some of these phrases will actually come in quite handy. 

If you really want to learn Thai for traveling in Thailand though, you should definitely check out this online course: https://weaverschool.com/en/thai/courses/online/basic-thai-for-travel

It was made for travelers by a native Thai and is really easy to follow!

Having travelled the world and finding learning different languages challenging I recommend using a translation App.   It will require Internet to be most beneficial.

I would focus my attention and time on learning a countries basic customs and traditions first.  Then learn how public transportation works.

Unless you are planning to stay a long time as a tourist or language learning is easy for you there is little benefit that a translation app can not accomplish.