News Forum - Centara Hotels suffer data breach by hackers Desorden Group

Thaiger

Centara Hotels and Resorts, the luxury chain in Thailand, confirmed a data breach this month at the hands of the infamous hacker Desorden Group. The CEO, Thirayuth Chirathivat, said the hack was detected October 14 and an investigation confirmed that guest details had been compromised. Names and ID photos, booking information, email addresses, phone numbers and home addresses have all been exposed, with fears that the ID photos could be of passports as hotels often ask for a copy at check-in. Centara’s CEO confirmed that the leak has been contained and the data breach secured, the extent and cause of […]

The story Centara Hotels suffer data breach by hackers Desorden Group as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

6 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

confirmed a data breach this month at the hands of the infamous hacker

Serious stuff this .. bet they've ransomware already .. 

"Desorden Group told ZDNet that over 10 days they compromised 5 servers in total with 400 GB of files total and collected data from everyone who stayed at any of the 70 hotels in the Centara chain from 2003 until now. They say the data includes passport and ID numbers as well as employee data and corporate information."

Ha!

I thwart those evil hackers by being poor, eating street food, and staying in bamboo huts on the beach while on vacation.

When the techno revolution comes, I'll be sipping a coconut and working on my tan.

With an ever increasing reliance on technology, comes an increasing danger of fraudulent activity. Wouldn't you just love to hide a Trojan virus in the data you hold, so when the hackers steal the data, the Trojan infects all their systems and destroys them :)  It also destroys the systems of anyone who buys the data from them......

1 minute ago, Jason said:

With an ever increasing reliance on technology, comes an increasing danger of fraudulent activity. Wouldn't you just love to hide a Trojan virus in the data you hold, so when the hackers steal the data, the Trojan infects all their systems and destroys them :)  It also destroys the systems of anyone who buys the data from them......

If I had the knowledge, skills and capacity to successfully hide a Trojan virus within my stolen data which infected all their systems and destroyed the systems of anyone who bought the data...

...I'd join the hackers.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

No, because without hackers the truth will never become public in many cases.

50 minutes ago, gummy said:

No, because without hackers the truth will never become public in many cases.

Although Julian Assange wasn't a hacker & only distributed the information, he still remains in prison.

Anyway, that was slightly off topic..

It seems that almost every establishment is being hacked, surely there must be a way to prevent them...?