News Forum - ICUs in Chiang Mai nearly full amidst Covid-19 surge

Thaiger

14 minutes ago, Stonker said:

FWIW, while cases in my province are nowhere near CM's numbers thank God, yesterday they were more than three times any previous high.

All local cases in my district this week were either imported from outside the province or imported then transmitted in local restaurants (most of which are open air).

Whats with all these Abbreviations Stonker  whats this 1 FWIF ?

6 minutes ago, vlad said:

Bob as you say there are 400 new cases daily just in CM yet today the CCSA confirms a drop of 365 from yesterday ? in official figures.

Hi Vlad, I said "around" 400, and yesterdays figure is 394, but that is excluding all ATK positives and home isolations, some of which are subsequently also hospitalised.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, vlad said:

Bob as you say there are 400 new cases daily just in CM yet today the CCSA confirms a drop of 365 from yesterday ? in official figures.

I don't know where you got your figures from, but the figures for CM were 394 yesterday, down marginally from 414 the day before.

Edit: 

I'm guessing your "365" was mis-read from the drop of 365 in overall Thailand-wide numbers,from 9,224 to 8,859.

29 minutes ago, vlad said:

"FWIW" is an acronym / idiom / abbreviation for "for what it's worth", widely used by most English speakers in chats, forums and messaging, and by forum rules & regs no longer to be avoided here.

"CM" is Chiang Mai.

I've no idea what "FWIF"means or why you're asking me.

7 hours ago, Stonker said:

What's that "impression" based on, apart from the incessant whingeing here?

The unavoidable reality, although some here may not like it, is that the vast majority of farangs here have not only been vaccinated well before the vast majority of Thais but they've also nearly all been vaccinated with Pfizer or AZ rather than Sinovac.

Any farang now registering aged over 40, and in some areas any farang at all, will now get two doses of Pfizer while their Thai counterparts will get a Sinovac and an AZ.

Some of that has been down to location as comparatively more farangs live in 'high vaccine' areas such as Phuket and Bangkok than live in the provinces, and some is down to age, but whatever the reason farangs have been vaccinated before Thais and with better vaccines than Thais.

Based on real life experience - a friend of mine got his vaccine at a hospital as his wife worked there, and she had to sneak him in after creeping to the boss. He was the only farang there amongst hundreds. They had a large vaccination program and farangs were explicitly excluded.

I also think farangs are more bothered about getting the vaccine and therefore make more effort, probably an age thing,  I know dozens of thais that just aren't fussed either way. I'm always badgering my extended family to get them, but for many it's a yeah yeah we'll look into it tomorrow.

I'm of course talking about when the debacle started, it might be different now.

''Sorry mods, way of topic, last one'' - followed by another 3.
NHS, UK tax residency, selling houses in London,  all great info but nothing to do with the topic.

A number of off topic post, replies and posts quoting off topic posts removed.
Open some new topics fellas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

I'm of course talking about when the debacle started, it might be different now.

I'm not sure if this is on topic or not, but as it was the last post and left before the thread was locked and re-opened I'll presume that it is and apologize if it isn't.

That was indeed true nine months or so ago, @Benroon, but it wasn't "farangs" that were excluded but any non-Thai citizens, and it's a one-off from very early on.

Since then it's been anything but correct as you can easily verify from the available media reports and any posts here citing facts rather than just views.

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

I know dozens of thais that just aren't fussed either way. I'm always badgering my extended family to get them, but for many it's a yeah yeah we'll look into it tomorrow.

For all the Thais I know it's not that they're "not fussed either way" but because they don't want the Sinovac and Astra Zeneca option, which is all that's available to the vast majority of them, but they want at least double AZ and preferably double Pfizer (which farangs get, coincidentally).

The problem in Chiang Mai, to keep this firmly on thread, is that if all they're offered is the Sinovac and AZ option, which seems likely if they're being rushed 700,000 doses, is that not only are many not likely to want it but it's unlikely to have any effect at all since Sinovac is  ineffective against Delta and they won't get the vital second dose of AZ until sometime next year.

All I can say is I don't envy anyone in Chiang Mai at the moment.

4 hours ago, Stonker said:

I don't know where you got your figures from, but the figures for CM were 394 yesterday, down marginally from 414 the day before.

Edit: 

I'm guessing your "365" was mis-read from the drop of 365 in overall Thailand-wide numbers,from 9,224 to 8,859.

No Stonker i quoted the figures given out from the CCSA as reported this morning on TT website. I quoted Bob's figures yesterday of 400 new cases. That's where i got my figures from.

18 hours ago, JamesR said:

I was in touch with a friend who lives in CM, he said he went to a pub yesterday in the town, I won't mention its name but it also sells fish and chips, and beer, he said he had quite a few beers there yesterday. 

Having experienced the entertaiment that Chaing Mai offers, I think I'd go for a beer in the chippy as well. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, vlad said:

No Stonker i quoted the figures given out from the CCSA as reported this morning on TT website. I quoted Bob's figures yesterday of 400 new cases. That's where i got my figures from.

With all due respect, I'm afraid you didn't.

As I said in the edit, your "365 drop of yesterday" was for figures Thailand wide while Bob's "about 400" was only for Chiang Mai.

Two totally different figures.

5 hours ago, Stonker said:

With all due respect, I'm afraid you didn't.

As I said in the edit, your "365 drop of yesterday" was for figures Thailand wide while Bob's "about 400" was only for Chiang Mai.

Two totally different figures.

As i stated Stonker CCSA figures meaning Thailand official numbers and Bobs CM figures there not the same which i quoted i did not say they were the same. So lets move on.

On 10/31/2021 at 8:29 AM, DrPhibes said:

All Chiang Mai schools are closed for the next two weeks.  Just got the E-mail from our school principal this morning.

I see from @palooka that schools in Sa Kaeo have also been closed by the governor for the next two weeks.  Here in Loei following yesterday's dramatic spike in the province's cases, nobody knows what's going on, at least locally, and decisions aren't even being taken at sub-district level but by individual schools.

In my nearest village, the junior school on one side of the road is closed while the junior school opposite on the other side is open along with the high school, albeit with minimal attendance.

In the next village, ten kilometres away, the school's still closed.

You can't run an education system like that, let alone a country.

• Like 2

On 10/30/2021 at 11:32 PM, Bob20 said:

Anutin visited Muang Mai market and announced that patients will be cared for in neighbouring provinces when the system gets overwhelmed, as it's near the limit.

He also announced that Chiang Mai will receive 700.000 more vaccines. Great planning 🤔 Especially after they first claimed CM had a very high vaccination rate already. They just have no clue what they're doing! 

And finally, he confirmed the system of registration for vendors and buyers at the markets, as you can't sell or buy anything if you've not got a card (to be obtained before entering) to show recovery after Covid infection, negative PCR test or at least one vaccination. Not that it prevents anyone from carrying or spreading the virus, but I guess it sounds like they're doing something.

More worrying is that there was no entrance check at all when I went there, and I did all my shopping without registration and without any checks. I wouldn't know a reason why the system works for vendors either...

Just all fancy words and no substance again 🤬

I think those 700,000 shots have shown up.  Wife has been finding walk-in vaccination sites suddenly showing up on Facebook yesterday all around Chiang Mai starting today through the next couple of weeks with AZ the first shot and Pfizer for the second for 18 and up (schools already had kids up to 18 get vaccinated).  Gotta 19yr old I have to get vaccinated before he has to attend Uni in person in BKK once the campus opens up.

29 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

I think those 700,000 shots have shown up.  Wife has been finding walk-in vaccination sites suddenly showing up on Facebook yesterday all around Chiang Mai starting today through the next couple of weeks with AZ the first shot and Pfizer for the second for 18 and up (schools already had kids up to 18 get vaccinated).  Gotta 19yr old I have to get vaccinated before he has to attend Uni in person in BKK once the campus opens up.

That would be reasonably good news, although of course much too late. 

And as expected, even though CM is still "red" we now see more foreigners and domestic travelers making the situation a lot worse before it can get better.

An addition to your post, the official publication still shows Sinovac + AZ, so it will be good to see how they differentiate.

IMG_20211101_112804.jpg

1 hour ago, Bob20 said:

That would be reasonably good news, although of course much too late. 

And as expected, even though CM is still "red" we now see more foreigners and domestic travelers making the situation a lot worse before it can get better.

An addition to your post, the official publication still shows Sinovac + AZ, so it will be good to see how they differentiate.

IMG_20211101_112804.jpg

Today Suan Dok hospital had a walk in this morning for AZ and Pfizer as we heard from a Thai friend who was going to do it.

2 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Today Suan Dok hospital had a walk in this morning for AZ and Pfizer as we heard from a Thai friend who was going to do it.

👍

But as you can see from the attached poster, Sinovac+AZ is still option 1 and they state the new plans start tomorrow.

Still, as I started out: reasonably good news.

But far too late as they first lied about the numbers and then apparently had vaccines available on the shelf!!! They should have been dispatched more than a month ago when the numbers started going up.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

👍

But as you can see from the attached poster, Sinovac+AZ is still option 1 and they state the new plans start tomorrow.

Still, as I started out: reasonably good news.

But far too late as they first lied about the numbers and then apparently had vaccines available on the shelf!!! They should have been dispatched more than a month ago when the numbers started going up.

There are 2-3 other venues this and next week advertised for AZ and Pfizer for CM now. The Moderna is still what seems to be the biggest of all lies.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

There are 2-3 other venues this and next week advertised for AZ and Pfizer for CM now. The Moderna is still what seems to be the biggest of all lies.

AZ + Pfizer would be a major step forward in getting people to "walk-in" or register, but the problem will be the delay between doses.

If it's 12 weeks, that's February next year before anyone walking in now is fully vaccinated!

Moderna has to be a separate issue as that's all private, but a friend of ours put on facebook that she was at the provincial private hospital for a jab yesterday so as I think she's already had the government jabs months ago that would probably be Moderna.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

AZ + Pfizer would be a major step forward in getting people to "walk-in" or register, but the problem will be the delay between doses.

If it's 12 weeks, that's February next year before anyone walking in now is fully vaccinated!

Moderna has to be a separate issue as that's all private, but a friend of ours put on facebook that she was at the provincial private hospital for a jab yesterday so as I think she's already had the government jabs months ago that would probably be Moderna.

Many hospitals have come out with their que orders and dates, but for CM Bangkok hospital not released any info. Yes it is just an I don't care mind set of stupidity from these people on vaccinations to protect the people and opening.

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Well, the Moderna you (presumably) mean is the payable one. That's causing problems for people who independently chose it (knowing it wasn't a quick option), but that's not really causing problems for the majority of people as the free program could and should have just gone ahead. It was the dire choice of Sinovac and the halt of jabbing in CM that is the real problem.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, vlad said:

I think FWIW is an abbreviation of 'For what it's worth'. Maybe not.

Off topic, can you or anyone else clarify if I travel from the UK (2 jabs and a booster) and travel to Chiang Mai via BKK, do I have to have my one night quarantine and PCR in BKK or can I transit to Chiang Mai and 'quarantine' in an HSA+ Hotel in Chiang Mai? I've made several attempts via the Royal Thai Embassy in London but no replies as yet.

8 minutes ago, Guevara said:

I think FWIW is an abbreviation of 'For what it's worth'. Maybe not.

Off topic, can you or anyone else clarify if I travel from the UK (2 jabs and a booster) and travel to Chiang Mai via BKK, do I have to have my one night quarantine and PCR in BKK or can I transit to Chiang Mai and 'quarantine' in an HSA+ Hotel in Chiang Mai? I've made several attempts via the Royal Thai Embassy in London but no replies as yet.

Great question and one I’d also like an answer to. My sense right now is that there are no transit facilities. You either fly in to Bkk, Phuket or other destination direct. This may change in the coming days or weeks but this is the latest view I have. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Well, the Moderna you (presumably) mean is the payable one. That's causing problems for people who independently chose it (knowing it wasn't a quick option), but that's not really causing problems for the majority of people as the free program could and should have just gone ahead. It was the dire choice of Sinovac and the halt of jabbing in CM that is the real problem.

seems it is causing problems to hundreds of thousands possibly millions who purchased it. Nothing to shake a stick at.

1 minute ago, HolyCowCm said:

seems it is causing problems to hundreds of thousands possibly millions who purchased it. Nothing to shake a stick at.

I'm not belittling it and you know how I feel about it.

But what I understand is that it was promised (without guarantee) in some locations for Q4 2021 and in other locations for Q1 2022. In all fairness while acknowledging that the doses are needed, it's the same GPO that acts as in between and people entered it knowingly.

Perhaps they hope that because of the delay some will choose another option, while having handsomely paid for the Moderna?

But neither of the promised time slots has expired yet, so who knows?