News Forum - ICUs in Chiang Mai nearly full amidst Covid-19 surge

Thaiger

40 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Huh? 

Maybe they gave us Pfizer instead of Sinovac so our own countries would easily allow us back in (as some say long stay foreigners are not really wanted here) 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Yes, I mentioned that earlier. They close them down, spray some disinfectant over the rotten wood and dirty concrete and they're good to go again. Instead they should have removed all the old decrepit stuff and renovated it in the two weeks it was closed!

The owners of the market would have spend money to fix things, good luck with that.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 6:20 AM, Bob20 said:

It's the same all over. PCR tests are replaced by ATK's because the positive ATK's are not counted in the statistics. That's how they manipulate the daily numbers to stay low.

The hospitals don't test to capacity but only to a pre-allowed number. If you're too late, you can get your own ATK. And guess what: if you test positive then you go home and nobody knows and again it doesn't show in the statistics!

And finally, they don't do random testing but specifically assign locations for temporary teststations. And the people that go to hospital for a test most likely do so because they are worried or have symptoms. So nobody knows the reality of the situation overall.

And requests for vaccines are being considered. But even if they send them, those vaccines are not bringing the numbers down because they are not immediately effective and for the ones who already contracted the virus is too late. Strict measures are necessary, but not even mask wearing or social distancing is enforced.

All they do is plug one hole of a sieve while the virus keeps pooring out of all the other holes.

Once the numbers get really bad and they will in a few weeks time after the tourists start arriving next week the tourists will be blamed, so I think it is best to stay away for now and see how it goes.

I have been saying from the start last year the Thai figures on infections are too low especially when all large shops etc continued to stay open but I was knocked by the usual ''Thailand-ophiles'' , now the truth is coming out. 

• Like 2

On 10/29/2021 at 6:02 AM, Lowseasonlover said:

I didnt realise it was that bad up there, stay safe guys

Who know what the real figures are in any of the other parts of the country?

2 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Once the numbers get really bad and they will in a few weeks time after the tourists start arriving next week the tourists will be blamed, so I think it is best to stay away for now and see how it goes.

I have been saying from the start last year the Thai figures on infections are too low especially when all large shops etc continued to stay open but I was knocked by the usual ''Thailand-ophiles'' , now the truth is coming out. 

I live here, so difficult to stay away, but I'm planning to keep wearing my halloween costume 

images.jpeg

• Haha 3

On 10/29/2021 at 9:23 AM, Stonker said:

It does rather beg the question of why farangs have always been a priority where the better vaccines are concerned, despite the whingeing to the contrary .....

Because we invented the best ones and we ordered millions of doses even before they had been tested as we were willing to take the chance the tests would show they worked, it panned out well, Thailand was way behind doing anything, twiddling their thumbs instead of putting an early order in and that is why Thailand has to use the Chinese vaccine rubbish.  

It is the reason I did a 'runner' from Thailand in August last year as I knew they would make a mess of vaccinations. 

I will get my booster shot next month in the UK.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I live here, so difficult to stay away, but I'm planning to keep wearing my halloween costume 

images.jpeg

I had to laugh our loud.

You need to cover up your hands and forehead too as we can still see you are a farang and worthy of a catapult shot. 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Because we invented the best ones and we ordered millions of doses even before they had been tested as we were willing to take the chance the tests would show they worked, it panned out well, Thailand was way behind doing anything, twiddling their thumbs instead of putting an early order in and that is why Thailand has to use the Chinese vaccine rubbish.  

It is the reason I did a 'runner' from Thailand in August last year as I knew they would make a mess of vaccinations. 

I will get my booster shot next month in the UK.

You've somehow missed my point completely. I was talking about farangs in Thailand, as was everyone else.

• Like 1

Anutin visited Muang Mai market and announced that patients will be cared for in neighbouring provinces when the system gets overwhelmed, as it's near the limit.

He also announced that Chiang Mai will receive 700.000 more vaccines. Great planning 🤔 Especially after they first claimed CM had a very high vaccination rate already. They just have no clue what they're doing! 

And finally, he confirmed the system of registration for vendors and buyers at the markets, as you can't sell or buy anything if you've not got a card (to be obtained before entering) to show recovery after Covid infection, negative PCR test or at least one vaccination. Not that it prevents anyone from carrying or spreading the virus, but I guess it sounds like they're doing something.

More worrying is that there was no entrance check at all when I went there, and I did all my shopping without registration and without any checks. I wouldn't know a reason why the system works for vendors either...

Just all fancy words and no substance again 🤬

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Anutin visited Muang Mai market and announced that patients will be cared for in neighbouring provinces when the system gets overwhelmed, as it's near the limit.

He also announced that Chiang Mai will receive 700.000 more vaccines. Great planning 🤔 Especially after they first claimed CM had a very high vaccination rate already. They just have no clue what they're doing! 

And finally, he confirmed the system of registration for vendors and buyers at the markets, as you can't sell or buy anything if you've not got a card (to be obtained before entering) to show recovery after Covid infection, negative PCR test or at least one vaccination. Not that it prevents anyone from carrying or spreading the virus, but I guess it sounds like they're doing something.

More worrying is that there was no entrance check at all when I went there, and I did all my shopping without registration and without any checks. I wouldn't know a reason why the system works for vendors either...

Just all fancy words and no substance again 🤬

Hang on but according to one poster on here Anutin was just 'unfortunate' ! 🤣

I was in touch with a friend who lives in CM, he said he went to a pub yesterday in the town, I won't mention its name but it also sells fish and chips, and beer, he said he had quite a few beers there yesterday. 

On 10/29/2021 at 9:23 AM, Stonker said:

It does rather beg the question of why farangs have always been a priority where the better vaccines are concerned, despite the whingeing to the contrary .....

Don't understand that - I've always been under the impression the govt put farangs firmly at the back of the queue. However if you're referring to Moderna as the better vaccine, that was because the farangs were willing to stump up the 3,000+ baht to get it, with the thais being told, untruthfully it was on the way for free, unaware they were being taken, and are still being taken, for a ride. Both thais and farangs.

Moderna has been given about 10 arrival dates so far hasn't it. 

• Like 1

wow i didn't realize cases were this bad with the easing of restrictions, will keep this in mind, have been going to the mall quite often lately but i think ill stop, siam paragon was packed today, i was joking with a friend if one person had covid everyone would be screwed since people were practically touching while walking since there was so many people 

• Like 1

Back 100% on topic,  CM's ICU's filling up with Covid patients shows how the impact of Covid is far more than just deaths or a fortnight in quarantine.

While the fatality rate may be only 2% (not the oft cited "0.02%", which is out by a factor of a hundred), that's far from the main direct and lasting effect.  Many will suffer lasting debilitating effects of 'long Covid' for years, including children and young people, and hospital beds that are needed for others, from trauma patients to cancer tests, just won't be available as other countries are finding with record waiting times of as much as five years.

7 hours ago, Benroon said:

Don't understand that - I've always been under the impression the govt put farangs firmly at the back of the queue.

What's that "impression" based on, apart from the incessant whingeing here?

The unavoidable reality, although some here may not like it, is that the vast majority of farangs here have not only been vaccinated well before the vast majority of Thais but they've also nearly all been vaccinated with Pfizer or AZ rather than Sinovac.

Any farang now registering aged over 40, and in some areas any farang at all, will now get two doses of Pfizer while their Thai counterparts will get a Sinovac and an AZ.

Some of that has been down to location as comparatively more farangs live in 'high vaccine' areas such as Phuket and Bangkok than live in the provinces, and some is down to age, but whatever the reason farangs have been vaccinated before Thais and with better vaccines than Thais.

• Like 1

this covid 19 infection surge in chang mai is at present in cluster formation.since hospitals is in small numbers.less hospitals more cases,the capacity to admit will be difficult. reality it is present in every country rich or poor.this is respiratory illness virus,every virus or bacteria which is respiratory infection,transmission is through droplets.diference in bacteria it is treatable by antibiotics coz the sturcture of bacteria is mostly fixed-no mutation..in virus the mutation occurs fast so variant is formed ,out of many mutations one variant by nature becomes strong perfect transmission.there is diffcult to differentiate normal flu virus,not everyone will have same symptoms,now asymptomatic patients can sometime transmit but not complusory.so people cannot be blamed for everything,this is how the virus acts.requires host to survive.yes there might be some people who tell them everything,but still defies everything.coz of small group everyone is blamed.sad-what to do this is reality.to stop further infections any old or new virus of any infection then every country would have to isolate completely,from flights to trade,interaction.this is not practical.the reality of any virus or bacteria-tranmission strenght will reduce but it will take time.

It's not that the ICUs are all full - just the two hospitals that are allocated to COVID are almost full. If they fill up the authorities will have to find extra ICU beds elsewhere. (not saying that this isnt a serious issue -just that the headline is rather sensationalised).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jijo said:

to stop further infections any old or new virus of any infection then every country would have to isolate completely,from flights to trade,interaction.this is not practical.

Why is it "not practical"?

Plenty of other countries have done it with varying degrees of restrictions for varying periods, as has Thailand before, in order to 'buy time' until enough of the population could be fully vaccinated.

That suggests it's not only effective but vital.

So why is it "not practical" ?

2 minutes ago, millwall_fan said:

It's not that the ICUs are all full - just the two hospitals that are allocated to COVID are almost full. If they fill up the authorities will have to find extra ICU beds elsewhere. (not saying that this isnt a serious issue -just that the headline is rather sensationalised).

ICU's are full and severe cases are now taken to other cities/provinces.

I don't know if you live in CM, but go to the field hospital area near Muang or the convention center. There's a constant stream of ambulances with sirens. Around 400 new cases a day (excluding ATK home isolation cases), so not surprising.

Yet when we warned that things would get out of hand, we were supposedly all "paranoid".

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, millwall_fan said:

That's NOT what the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine at Chiang Mai University, Prof. Dr. Bannakit Lojanapiwat, said in a written statement issued on Thursday. According to him "about 20% of the new patients have moderate to severe symptoms, ...about 5% of the severe cases need to be treated in intensive care units (ICUs), but there are only two hospitals which are capable of accommodating them. The number of new infections has risen to more than 6,000, almost filling the ICU wards at Maharaj Nakorn Chiang Mai and Nakornping hospitals."

Maybe he's wrong and there are other hospitals in CM which are "capable of accommodating them" which he's not aware of.

Which ones do you think he's overlooked?

Edit: Welcome to the forum, BTW, @millwall_fan, as I see that's your first post. I don't want to put you off, but the source article gives a lot more detail which may not have been clear.

FWIW, while cases in my province are nowhere near CM's numbers thank God, yesterday they were more than three times any previous high.

All local cases in my district this week were either imported from outside the province or imported then transmitted in local restaurants (most of which are open air).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

ICU's are full and severe cases are now taken to other cities/provinces.

I don't know if you live in CM, but go to the field hospital area near Muang or the convention center. There's a constant stream of ambulances with sirens. Around 400 new cases a day (excluding ATK home isolation cases), so not surprising.

Yet when we warned that things would get out of hand, we were supposedly all "paranoid".

Bob as you say there are 400 new cases daily just in CM yet today the CCSA confirms a drop of 365 from yesterday ? in official figures.