News Forum - Phuket taxi drivers told to be fair, safe, friendly ahead of reopening

Thaiger

14 hours ago, BIGGLES said:

The advertised price from the airport to Patong is 800 baht for a private limo, has been for ages.

I use the same driver and have done for years, in fact, I helped him get his first car etc, and I always give him a 1000 baht, and the same to take me back to the airport. In fairness, he does not want that much, but I insist. If I want to go anywhere while in Phuket, he will not readily take money from me, and if in Phuket on my own, he rings me every second day to see if I need anything etc. So not all the taxi guys are bad. Let's be honest, it's more the tuck-tuck guys who are the robbers.

I don't think 10GBP is a lot of money for a journey airport/Patong.

🤔

How is it £10 GBP. what exchange rate do you get to the £. Your 1000 baht at the average 40 baht to the pound would be £25. Even the 800 baht would be £20. It would need to be 400 baht for it to be £10. I think it’s a a long time since you paid for a taxi form the airport 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, atiger said:

Why would you take a mafia driven taxi who likes you rip off tourists when you can take the airport bus for 40 baht

Because we are all "wealthy" tourists on this forum and don't travel on public transport with the commoners😀

• Haha 2

For those of us who are/will be returning to Phuket, it's been almost 2 years (it will be, by the time I get there). The last airport to hotel fare I was charged was 800 Baht from Patong to the airport. The taxi driver was great. I kept his card and have booked him ever since. You pay a bit extra for good service. So things haven't really changed. Read my post on Phuket taxi drivers...it got a few laughs and thumbs up on here :). T here will always be the rip off merchants (it's the same across the world). The thing is to be stung once and then, get street savvy.   

19 hours ago, atiger said:

Why would you take a mafia driven taxi who likes you rip off tourists when you can take the airport bus for 40 baht

The one in Phuket started again? It got popular before covid, Rawai to Airport

If you're getting around Phuket, motorbike is the way to go. Get the Taxi (and don't be surprised if it has to be and SHA+ approved taxi, organised by your Hotel). You should only need it to get to and from the airport. I feel for couples who have kids (unless of course you adopt the Thai method of four people on a motorbike). But for singles and couples....