News Forum - Phuket taxi drivers told to be fair, safe, friendly ahead of reopening

Thaiger

Authorities are urging the taxi drivers of Phuket, along with other transportation providers, to be more professional as Thailand’s full reopening launches in 3 days. Ahead of the November 1 reopening to international tourism, a meeting at Phuket city hall yesterday included plans to hold taxi drivers to certain standards in order to make Thailand more welcoming. The Permanent Secretary of Phuket, Toll Plaza Deputy Commander of Phuket Provincial Police, and the Phuket Provincial Attorney corroborated to outline a plan set rules to make taxi drivers stick to. The plan covered transparent rates that are reasonable and fair and determined […]

The story Phuket taxi drivers told to be fair, safe, friendly ahead of reopening as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

the Phuket Provincial Attorney corroborated to outline a plan set rules to make taxi drivers stick to.

Super .. remains to be seen if they'll adhesive to it or not though .. 

and is kite flying also banned ..  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dedinbed said:

Super .. remains to be seen if they'll adhesive to it or not though .. 

and is kite flying also banned ..  

There's only one word I can say to that - tosser!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It will never change, This morning I saw someone ask a price from Rawai to the airport, plenty of replies and the difference being 400 baht, from 600 to 1000 baht

• Like 1

Clearly the announcement was meant to show that "something was being done". By something, they mean "an announcement that something was being done". The end. Back to the scamming.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alan8505 said:

I am sure the taxi drivers in Phuket will be only too happy to comply (for about 30 minutes) 😉😂

That's good if it's only a 25 minute ride. 🤣

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, vlad said:

Will the assaults by TUK TUK  Taxi's in Patong be reported and the culprits identified ? 

Reminds me of a song by the Everly Brothers - 'Dream, dream, dream'

10 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

It will never change, This morning I saw someone ask a price from Rawai to the airport, plenty of replies and the difference being 400 baht, from 600 to 1000 baht

OMG!

So the guys saying LESS than the 1000 from the sign, are they still alive? Perhaps beaten up?

Usually, these , eh, taxi drivers  (I am not counting a car without a meter a taxi!) are not understanding the scheme of "maximum fare", which usually, if for 4 persons, can be reduced, should normal be reduced, if only one or 2 are driving in "the cab"!

Dream on,given the lack of passengers nowadays the fares will be Increased if the usual business model is applied.ive never met a cheerful phuket taxi driver in my life and I can't see that changing any time soon either.

The advertised price from the airport to Patong is 800 baht for a private limo, has been for ages.

I use the same driver and have done for years, in fact, I helped him get his first car etc, and I always give him a 1000 baht, and the same to take me back to the airport. In fairness, he does not want that much, but I insist. If I want to go anywhere while in Phuket, he will not readily take money from me, and if in Phuket on my own, he rings me every second day to see if I need anything etc. So not all the taxi guys are bad. Let's be honest, it's more the tuck-tuck guys who are the robbers.

I don't think 10GBP is a lot of money for a journey airport/Patong.

🤔

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BIGGLES said:

The advertised price from the airport to Patong is 800 baht for a private limo, has been for ages.

I use the same driver and have done for years, in fact, I helped him get his first car etc, and I always give him a 1000 baht, and the same to take me back to the airport. In fairness, he does not want that much, but I insist. If I want to go anywhere while in Phuket, he will not readily take money from me, and if in Phuket on my own, he rings me every second day to see if I need anything etc. So not all the taxi guys are bad. Let's be honest, it's more the tuck-tuck guys who are the robbers.

🤔

***I meant to say 20GBP***

“Urging”. Couldn’t make it up could you? Laughing stock and this is why it will always remain a “developing” country, and a lot of developing it has to do. Really sad for the genuine Thai people

7 hours ago, BIGGLES said:

🤔

Sounds like a guy I know. His name is Manop.

Don't worry about the rip off taxi drivers they will be unemployed soon when there are only rich tourists coming to Thailand as the Govt is trying to make happen. They travel in limousines not taxis.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, HiuMak said:

Use of "grab" can be an alternative choice

Im not sure Grab in Phuket is any cheaper, a couple of years ago they were adding a service charge

Over the years I have heard of plenty of people getting ripped off and how the taxi mafia works, From Serenity to the airport 1800 baht, 

I remember talking to a couple of guys before covid they got a taxi from a bar in Rawai maybe 4 Km 700 baht